Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Implosion

Banned

Default Implosion

Concerns in the trade press around salary reductions and splinter groups within super league over this subject and pulling up the relegation drawbridge.

The decision around scrums and a lack of clarity over a fixture list is creating the impression of a game in crisis. I don't think any of us envy the owners or those at CEO level. I know it is easy to criticise but the sport seems devoid of a plan, either good or bad.

The next broadcasting deal would seem to dictate the direction of travel for the sport and its relevance. These are short careers in a brutal sport and salaries are fairly modest taking that into account for most players.

Rimmer and Elstone must have gone on furlough, not a word for weeks. The sport needs to somehow come back with the same bang the NRL did. Premier League is a joke, this is an opportunity if we get our act in place.

Banned

I've been thinking similar myself. I'm really not enjoying the EPL although some of the Championship games have been good.

But as you say, we seem to be going into this, as usual, on a wing and a prayer instead of seeing the opportunity. It's obviously a tough time for owners/CEO's but it's tough for a lot of us. It seems to me to be a case of years of poor management now coming home to roost.

I'm just hoping that once we get back on the pitch the game speaks for itself but to be honest, I very much doubt it, I've got a feeling well see a lot of players come back unfit and lots of "injuries" if you know what I mean.

We all know Rimmer's a tosser and I've zero faith in Elstone who used to frequently go missing when at Everton, the future looks bleak at the moment unfortunately.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I've just seen it that the Super League fixture list will now not be published until AT LEAST the middle of next week.

Then to add clubs will be allowed seven overseas/non fed players next season. That should have been cut to four at the most IMO. Whats going to happen to all those reserve players with no reserve competition next year?

And what about all the academy/scholarship players who are out of contract this year, how will clubs be able to make a judgement on them when they haven't played. Oh I know we'll bring in someone from Aus!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

It's becoming more and more a worry with all the unknowns for the clubs and RL in general to plan any further than one game at a time. We have around 300 super league squad players we only need 1 player to become infected, using the track and trace implementation that could possibly mean 2 teams of players can't play the next fixture for at least one game.

With 16 fixtures and the 300 players involved we will have 4800 instances of risk that could scupper any future planning in the short term at least. I don't know if SKY are looking at these effects on their next funding values.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It's becoming more and more a worry with all the unknowns for the clubs and RL in general to plan any further than one game at a time. We have around 300 super league squad players we only need 1 player to become infected, using the track and trace implementation that could mean 2 teams of players can't play the next fixture for at least one game.

With 16 fixtures and the 300 players involved we will have 4800 instances of risk that could scupper any future planning in the short term at least. I don't know if SKY are looking at these effects on their next funding values.
    It seems to have been managed pretty well in football, cricket and the NRL.

(I realise we're talking about the RFL here and they will probably be getting test kits out of kinder eggs as we speak).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I've just seen it that the Super League fixture list will now not be published until AT LEAST the middle of next week.

Then to add clubs will be allowed seven overseas/non fed players next season. That should have been cut to four at the most IMO. Whats going to happen to all those reserve players with no reserve competition next year?

And what about all the academy/scholarship players who are out of contract this year, how will clubs be able to make a judgement on them when they haven't played. Oh I know we'll bring in someone from Aus!!!
    I think for the answer to those questions, you should direct them to Hetherington, he will have the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I've been thinking similar myself. I'm really not enjoying the EPL although some of the Championship games have been good.

But as you say, we seem to be going into this, as usual, on a wing and a prayer instead of seeing the opportunity. It's obviously a tough time for owners/CEO's but it's tough for a lot of us. It seems to me to be a case of years of poor management now coming home to roost.

I'm just hoping that once we get back on the pitch the game speaks for itself but to be honest, I very much doubt it, I've got a feeling well see a lot of players come back unfit and lots of "injuries" if you know what I mean.

We all know Rimmer's a tosser and I've zero faith in Elstone who used to frequently go missing when at Everton, the future looks bleak at the moment unfortunately.
    I can understand clubs delaying players return if they have to start paying them as soon as they train. But I'm surprised none of the players have organised unofficial group runs etc,
    Someone mentioned Lees running up Billinge Hill but not heard anything about others.

Banned

Saints resume training on Monday someone coming to tell them what they can and can't do

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I can understand clubs delaying players return if they have to start paying them as soon as they train. But I'm surprised none of the players have organised unofficial group runs etc,
    Someone mentioned Lees running up Billinge Hill but not heard anything about others.
    About six of the Saints players live in Billinge and have been training together all through the lockdown on a local area.

Unfortunately I think there is still some ambiguity over who is in charge of the game at the top level. Last year SL had successfully wrested power from the RFL, but I think the COVID situation, and the fact that the RFL have been the ones to engineer and administer the government rescue loan, has put the governing body in a position of renewed power and thrown everything into uncertainty again. There was a vote last week on a proposal that the SL organisation be re-absorbed into the RFL: it was rejected, but only just - 7 votes to 5. I suspect this is why these decisions are proving difficult.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Billinge Lump.

Learning All The Songs

There are so few new cases in either St Helens, Sefton, Liverpool etc, that we can be relatively happy that there should be no transmission of the virus once games recommence. The whole thing is so unprecedented, it's not a huge surprise that there isn't a clear path out of all of this. So there needs to be firm direction from the RFL, and they must not allow the tail to wag the dog. If clubs are unhappy about participating in the League for the rest of the season, they should be allowed to sit out and allow the clubs who do want to play, to play

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Billinge Lump.
    Next you'll be telling me I came from Merseyside.

Banned

Agreed.

Seems to be a cabal of clubs who aren't interested in bringing through young players, just pick up journeymen from the UK and NRL cast-offs, hoping to hit on enough of an effective mix to keep them in SL.

Toronto have a great excuse but clubs like Wakefield add nothing.

What's Hetherington's motivation, though?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Agreed.

Seems to be a cabal of clubs who aren't interested in bringing through young players, just pick up journeymen from the UK and NRL cast-offs, hoping to hit on enough of an effective mix to keep them in SL.

He's looking to bring in Jai Field from Parramatta which would bring their quota up to seven?

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...a-list-3084368

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

We always look like we are run by donkeys. Until there is one cohesive leadership for the game we will continue to fall between the stools and keep missing out.
    Learned comment from The Don

He's looking to bring in Jai Field from Parramatta which would bring their quota up to seven?

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...a-list-3084368
    When did we sign Warren Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    We always look like we are run by donkeys. Until there is one cohesive leadership for the game we will continue to fall between the stools and keep missing out.
    At this rate Donkeys would be a huge improvement.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Agreed.

At the risk of receiving the wrath of Ghost of 99, Hetherington wants to use all the local RL clubs as Leeds’ farm clubs to prevent any of them getting their act together or a wealthy backer and affect the status of Leeds. If he can use Bramley, Hunslet and Fev for loaning Leeds fringe players to it saves them money and salary cap. The problem we have in trying to do that over here is that the possible clubs Leigh, Widnes are clubs in their own right with their own identity and ambitions, hence we had to use clubs from further afield which wasn’t the best option for the players involved.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    At the risk of receiving the wrath of Ghost of 99, Hetherington wants to use all the local RL clubs as Leeds’ farm clubs to prevent any of them getting their act together or a wealthy backer and affect the status of Leeds. If he can use Bramley, Hunslet and Fev for loaning Leeds fringe players to it saves them money and salary cap. The problem we have in trying to do that over here is that the possible clubs Leigh, Widnes are clubs in their own right with their own identity and ambitions, hence we had to use clubs from further afield which wasn’t the best option for the players involved.
    You don't seem to know how D/R and the salary cap works but let's not let that stand in the way of another Hetherington obsessed conspiracy theory.

Got A Season Ticket

The reserve grade was only being used correctly or rarther how it was meant to be used by about three clubs before the season was stopped it would be better if we had one person who could make the big desicions and see they get done
    I had high hopes for Elstone being that man I don't think he is now tho

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    The reserve grade was only being used correctly or rarther how it was meant to be used by about three clubs before the season was stopped it would be better if we had one person who could make the big desicions and see they get done
    I had high hopes for Elstone being that man I don't think he is now tho
    The problem is having the right guy. We pretty much had one guy in charge with Buffet Nige, and look where that got us. I was also hoping for more from Elstone whether or not he is the right man, or if it is this virus that has everyone on the back foot is hard to say.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of '99 View Post
    You don't seem to know how D/R and the salary cap works but let's not let that stand in the way of another Hetherington obsessed conspiracy theory.
    Good grief you are obsessed aren’t you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of '99 View Post
    You seem to know quite a lot about nothing. Go away and have a look at Bramley Rugby League Club and see the Director list of the wound up limited company. It came as no surprise to me.

Hunslet and their small number of fans helped by their local MP drove Leeds Rhinos out of the club. Yes they became sick of being used as a cheap feeder club. So don't come on here as some Billy big shot. Hethringtons and Wood are everything bad about the SL era.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Good grief you are obsessed aren’t you.
    He stalks the site waiting for someone to mention double glazing then he can jump in.