Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Implosion

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    About six of the Saints players live in Billinge and have been training together all through the lockdown on a local area.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 11th July 2020 at 11:09. Reason: No need

Learning All The Songs

Any back on thread, according to Gareth Carvell 6 clubs have agreed payments and are back in training. According to gossip Warrington aren’t one of the six. You can see the scene

Hey guys can you all take a 20% pay cut..... yeh sure why........ of because of this lockdown no income etc........ oh OK boss, errr I suppose the Greg Inglis deal is off or been reviewed down.........Oh no Greg is coming on big bucks next year and your sacrifice will ensure that there is still still a club for him to play for..........Err boss why not just use the Inlgis money to keep us on what our contracts say we should be paid and call off the Inglis deal because of the lockdown situation no income etc......

My GUESS is the six who have agrees are:
    Hull - did not make any pay cuts
    Saints - hopefully
    Wigan - probably
    Huddersfield
    Catalan
    Toronto

As I said this is just my guess please don t start quoting this as fact.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Any back on thread, according to Gareth Carvell 6 clubs have agreed payments and are back in training. According to gossip Warrington aren’t one of the six. You can see the scene

Hey guys can you all take a 20% pay cut..... yeh sure why........ of because of this lockdown no income etc........ oh OK boss, errr I suppose the Greg Inglis deal is off or been reviewed down.........Oh no Greg is coming on big bucks next year and your sacrifice will ensure that there is still still a club for him to play for..........Err boss why not just use the Inlgis money to keep us on what our contracts say we should be paid and call off the Inglis deal because of the lockdown situation no income etc......

My GUESS is the six who have agrees are:
    Hull - did not make any pay cuts
    Saints - hopefully
    Wigan - probably
    Huddersfield
    Catalan
    Toronto

As I said this is just my guess please don t start quoting this as fact.
    Hull have made pay cuts apparantly. There are a couple of players on Twitter that have confirmed that no club has avoided pay cuts.

Banned

I'm just thinking, I wonder if some of the lower paid players are thinking of another career.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm just thinking, I wonder if some of the lower paid players are thinking of another career.
    I would imagine that the younger ones are still following the dream of playing professional RL, particularly if it's for the team they support.
    Older ones may be looking elsewhere and may be looking to leave the sport earlier than they originally planned, but I can't see that many going.

There was no money in the game to start with. Now here we are

Banned

One of the Wakefield lads is going down the route. It's got a bit nasty with Carter, he has had a small number refused to confirm and publicly said he won't forget it. Brough has moved onto Championship level if it's connected I wouldn't know.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I think it's vitally important that clubs stress to young players that it's necessary for them to carry on with their education whilst they are coming through the junior systems, The fact is that only between 5% and 10% of them will make it in top grade rugby.

The fallout at football is even higher.

Learning All The Songs

I think it's vitally important that clubs stress to young players that it's necessary for them to carry on with their education whilst they are coming through the junior systems, The fact is that only between 5% and 10% of them will make it in top grade rugby.

Yes but in football there was very a good living to be made in the lower leagues. This may change all that and lower division football may no be as profligate as it has been

Banned

Football is a funny comparison. I know of a case of a kid on 8k a week at a Premiership club and he never got near the first team squad. He was released at 20 and was offered and had to accept twelve hundred a week in Championship 2. It now seems as though that won't be renewed he is now 22. China/Middle East is his hope. I get the education bit, but and this is not derogatory some of these lads are basically not bright, their gift is sport. I would swap my reasonably succesful career for 5 years playing for Saints anyday. By the way that is the thought of a 58 year old. This is not money driven but life choice if possible driven.

I'm surprised the RL authorities don't insist on it. Perhaps they do? I know nothing about that side of our game.

Banned

To be honest Barry it's a societal change we have not addressed. Suicide in young men is alarming and some of it boils down to no purpose in life. Education is a gift, but if it was so easy everyone would be an A grade student.

RL attracted lads at the highest level with very high pain thresholds who did very industrial jobs and with the two combined did pretty well but led very normal lives.

The game at the highest level went full time, the lads earned enough to live in a nice semi or detached on a good estate then bang, 33 years old game over and what do I do next? Few testimonial games these days and it's 65K a year to zero with a young family. 65K will sound a fortune to many on here but when you have say 10 years of it and at 33 that and your career has ended the mental health of many goes ZOOM! House at risk, comrades at training gone, no reps jobs at the brewery any more. The wife becomes the breadwinner and the cycle goes on. Young men have it harder than I ever did.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    There was no money in the game to start with. Now here we are
    Not a great deal, you're right.

My point being though, when does it become too much of a risk to be taking a beating every week for peanuts? For example Matty Lees I think is an engineer of some kind, I'm not suggesting he would look to jump ship as he'll still earn a good living playing but there must be others in a similar position.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    To be honest Barry it's a societal change we have not addressed. Suicide in young men is alarming and some of it boils down to no purpose in life. Education is a gift, but if it was so easy everyone would be an A grade student.

RL attracted lads at the highest level with very high pain thresholds who did very industrial jobs and with the two combined did pretty well but led very normal lives.

The game at the highest level went full time, the lads earned enough to live in a nice semi or detached on a good estate then bang, 33 years old game over and what do I do next? Few testimonial games these days and it's 65K a year to zero with a young family. 65K will sound a fortune to many on here but when you have say 10 years of it and at 33 that and your career has ended the mental health of many goes ZOOM! House at risk, comrades at training gone, no reps jobs at the brewery any more. The wife becomes the breadwinner and the cycle goes on. Young men have it harder than I ever did.
    Spot on, I've been in a similar position and it's a horrible feeling.

Football is a funny comparison. I know of a case of a kid on 8k a week at a Premiership club and he never got near the first team squad. He was released at 20 and was offered and had to accept twelve hundred a week in Championship 2. It now seems as though that won't be renewed he is now 22. China/Middle East is his hope. I get the education bit, but and this is not derogatory some of these lads are basically not bright, their gift is sport. I would swap my reasonably succesful career for 5 years playing for Saints anyday. By the way that is the thought of a 58 year old. This is not money driven but life choice if possible driven.
    See that career me just doesn't enter my head. At the moment, there isn't a lot out there & me & my gf are being relatively cautious, saving and just glad to be working & have a few holidays & a roof over our heads. The idea of a career went by the wayside a long time ago

I do think it's tough & I think it's important to have a routine & be happy to 'tick over and keep going' as cliche as that sounds. I certainly regret my choices though & I think it's vital that these young fellas now are advised properly & guided.

See, people think you're an adult in early 20s but I was very naive. I'd say it was last 6 months I've grown up and it's taken me to 33. And that's because I didn't have a challenging career to focus on. Rather I lived for the weekend & the next football game or rugby trip. It's a very unrewarding & I think that if these young sports pro's have a plan of action & know what they want post playing, then they have the work ethic & teamworking skills plus the piece of paper that kickstarts them.

If you look.at my post above...I didn't get in a rut as such but I just got stuck in a cycle. Now I base each day on it. I'm used to it but i wouldn't advise it.

Sorry for the rant, just something I'm extremely passionate about due to my own poor decisions

Not a great deal, you're right.

My point being though, when does it become too much of a risk to be taking a beating every week for peanuts? For example Matty Lees I think is an engineer of some kind, I'm not suggesting he would look to jump ship as he'll still earn a good living playing but there must be others in a similar position.
    Good point. I don't think most rugby league players are paid anywhere near enough. It's an extremely tough sport

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Yes but in football there was very a good living to be made in the lower leagues. This may change all that and lower division football may no be as profligate as it has been
    One of the Wakefield lads is going down the route. It's got a bit nasty with Carter, he has had a small number refused to confirm and publicly said he won't forget it. Brough has moved onto Championship level if it's connected I wouldn't know.
    Brough is 38 next January so think his time at top level pretty much done. Point taken though.

Banned

Good point. I don't think most rugby league players are paid anywhere near enough. It's an extremely tough sport
    As you say, there's a lack of money in the sport to start with, then you get the likes of Koukash pushed out and the Yorkshire mafia wanting to lower the salary cap even more. I know if it was my kids and they'd showed an aptitude for Rugby I'd be encouraging them towards Union.

I think Rouges was talking about the young kids who shouldn't be encouraged to drop everything outside RL, as many of them won't make the grade needed to make a living from the game.
    You make some interesting points though, particularly about the guys at the other end of their RL careers. Again, I would hope that the clubs and the RL authorities have something in place to help guide these lads back into 'normal' working life.

Got A Replica Shirt

Clubs who've agreed deals with their players according to various news reports are:
    Catalans, Huddersfield, Hull, Hull KR, Leeds.

Definitely not agreed are:
    Wakefield, Warrington.

The rest haven't been confirmed either way.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I think at other times if their salaries were reduced they may be looking elsewhere. Right now there probably isn't much for them outside of Rugby. It may spur some of them to start preparing themselves for a different line of employment, through education, training courses etc.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of '99 View Post
    Clubs who've agreed deals with their players according to various news reports are:
    Catalans, Huddersfield, Hull, Hull KR, Leeds.

Definitely not agreed are:
    Wakefield, Warrington.

The rest haven't been confirmed either way.
    Saints kind of have? They've tweeted about the covid tests, which they wouldn't be doing if the players weren't returning to training. And Big Al tweeted that this was his last weekend off before he gets to play with the lads again. Neither of those things would be happening if they hadn't agreed to return would they?

Learning All The Songs

Did you play professionally Ralph? I wanted to play when I was a kid but had zero sporting ability and frankly I was scared of violence. I ended up studying hard instead. I’m grateful now to be honest but spent years feeling like a failure. Im from St Helens and rugby has been central to my life. I’m in my 60s now and retired but still love watching rugby, league and union!

League is a very hard sport and I worry that more and more kids will pick something else. Earning an ok living until you’re 35, then nothing is a hard adjustment to make

I’m pessimistic about the future of rugby league

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Perhaps the jump from Semi Pro to Full time Pro has now run it's course, I know a lower league football team who went fully professional a few years ago and all the players who were earning three times the wage the chairman wanted to pay in their day jobs cleared off to continue semi-pro status. Needless to say the professional status reverted to semi pro sharpish when the standard of player you get for peanuts unfolded.

I don't think Rugby League will survive with just 4 or 5 clubs who can keep their heads above water and the rest struggling it will take us back to the 80's/90's when ONE team ran the show.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.