Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Implosion

Banned

Sorry Patsy, mergers were forced through in Aus due to the vast amounts of cash involved. It just wouldn’t happen here. For me I would force Wakey for instance to move to Barnsley whilst they built a new stadium, that would see them drop down a division, Carter would go nuts paying rent.

I look at Bradford Bulls, playing at Dewsbury and I am pretty sure both clubs have the same owner. Decision easy only one if any central funding handout.

If changes are not made we will all end up like Oldham playing on a tip in front of 300 pensioners until a promotion then they move to Stalybridge Celtic until relegated 12 months later. Oldham one mans fiefdom. Decision easy stop the funding.

Will Rimmer act. I don’t think he or Elstone have the stomach to take the politics on.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Sorry Patsy, mergers were forced through in Aus due to the vast amounts of cash involved. It just wouldn’t happen here. For me I would force Wakey for instance to move to Barnsley whilst they built a new stadium, that would see them drop down a division, Carter would go nuts paying rent.

I look at Bradford Bulls, playing at Dewsbury and I am pretty sure both clubs have the same owner. Decision easy only one if any central funding handout.

If changes are not made we will all end up like Oldham playing on a tip in front of 300 pensioners until a promotion then they move to Stalybridge Celtic until relegated 12 months later. Oldham one mans fiefdom. Decision easy stop the funding.

Will Rimmer act. I don’t think he or Elstone have the stomach to take the politics on.
    I can see what you’re saying, and Dave above. I certainly wouldn’t want Saints to merge! I can’t see how we get a really viable league at the moment. It could be that I’m just not exactly high on life right now and feeling pessimistic. I hope I’m wrong obviously. We have six or seven fairly strong teams but that’s not enough. If we have to go back to being semi pro I think we’re done for. Sky coverage is poor but we need their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    https://treizemondial.fr/leeds-ne-ve...r-a-perpignan/

Link for the Leeds comment. Even my O’level french can translate that to “Leeds do not want to come to play at Perpignan“

I suppose this is another example of Hetherington putting the good of RL first.
    The guy makes me want to scream. I don't know why Elstone isn't coming out all guns blazing & telling him to pack it in

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I can see what you’re saying, and Dave above. I certainly wouldn’t want Saints to merge! I can’t see how we get a really viable league at the moment. It could be that I’m just not exactly high on life right now and feeling pessimistic. I hope I’m wrong obviously. We have six or seven fairly strong teams but that’s not enough. If we have to go back to being semi pro I think we’re done for. Sky coverage is poor but we need their money.

I feel exactly the same as you Pasty & I hope we are both wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Hetherington proving once more he can't see beyond his own interests..

If Catalans can get a few thousand in their stadium, good luck to them, it's money into the sport.

As we saw with the goings on with Bradford, although Leeds were no doubt legally in the right - in the long run Leeds lost a massive derby game to sell
    Absolutely 100 per cent spot on. Yet many on the east side of the Pennines think Hetherington is the man with his finger on the pulse, with him having the interests of the game at heart.

They are deluded

I don't think so either. Plus are Rimmer & Elstone on the same page anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Bloody hell mate, don't do yourself down, not many of us know our arse from our elbow at 25 never mind when we've just left school, although I do agree clubs should have something in place to prepare the young lads who don't make it but also prepare the ones who do for life after Rugby.

Myself, I look back now and think I wish I'd have done it all different, I was reasonably clever at school but had no interest in being taught or further education and was probably just dismissed as a bad 'un back then, I don't know if that would be different now and I don't blame anyone for that. I fell into a trade which I didn't particularly like and ••••ed about for years before finally getting my act together. I've ended up making a good living at times through it and got to see the world but I can safely say I'd have swapped it all for making better use of my brain at a younger age. You live and learn I suppose.
    Thanks Dave. Yes you never stop learning, well I certainly don't.

I do think we will return to playing but I have serious concerns about the financial situation in the sport & the direction. I reckon losing the ashes tour has cost us a fortune.

Meanwhile the NRL gets 3 origin tests at the end of the season rather than the start & the money keeps flowing in.

Banned

I saw a fear of him Ralph. I wouldn't say he was Mr Popularity. He had so much influence in the Wood era and for all I know he may still have that, it's now a few years since I was in any loop. I just feel Rimmer is Wood MK2 and Elstone doesn't seem to have defined power or backing. To be fair Ralph and Patsy I too fear for the game in the next two years. Change/Shake Up or Die slowly.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...still-22343752

Everything that has happened in Rugby League seems to have been slow. From dealing with ticket refunds, to schedules, to actually returning.

It just backs up what we thought in the first place, that the people running our game are not doing that much.

Just the bit of transparency would reassure us.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I saw a fear of him Ralph. I wouldn't say he was Mr Popularity. He had so much influence in the Wood era and for all I know he may still have that, it's now a few years since I was in any loop. I just feel Rimmer is Wood MK2 and Elstone doesn't seem to have defined power or backing. To be fair Ralph and Patsy I too fear for the game in the next two years. Change/Shake Up or Die slowly.
    A few years back I was sat talking to someone who had coached at the very highest level in Rugby League. At the time the changes were being proposed to the scholarship, academy and reserve leagues, we were going to lose one or two levels.
    His words were "Hetherington has far too much influence on Nigel Wood, these changes are not good for the game as a whole, it's purely self interest"

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Absolutely 100 per cent spot on. Yet many on the east side of the Pennines think Hetherington is the man with his finger on the pulse, with him having the interests of the game at heart.

They are deluded
    He has the self interests of Leeds at heart.

It benefits Leeds not to have a reserve league because they can use Fev and Bramley as farm clubs. Big clubs over here don’t have such a convenient choice of local set ups.

It benefits Leeds that their closest (geographical) rivals play in dumps, enabling Leeds to mop up the local corporate dollar.

Neither of these help to grow the game and work against the long term future of the game.

No Hetherington has and will only look after number one. Unfortunately this will lead to the demise of the game, Leeds had a good local big crowd derby will Bradford but ultimately Hetheringtons actions started their demise ( other factors were involved but a big cash payout did not help)

Cue the Ghost

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Hetherington proving once more he can't see beyond his own interests..

If Catalans can get a few thousand in their stadium, good luck to them, it's money into the sport.

As we saw with the goings on with Bradford, although Leeds were no doubt legally in the right - in the long run Leeds lost a massive derby game to sell
    What makes this even more outrageous and how it's all about Leeds first is that the first game back is their postponed game AT Huddersfield, and it's being played at Headingley, albeit with no crowds. So they're quite happy to gain whatever advantage this gives them but not to do the decent thing and go to France. Scandalous they get away with stuff like this and just shows how weak and useless those in charge are to let them.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    What makes this even more outrageous and how it's all about Leeds first is that the first game back is their postponed game AT Huddersfield, and it's being played at Headingley, albeit with no crowds. So they're quite happy to gain whatever advantage this gives them but not to do the decent thing and go to France. Scandalous they get away with stuff like this and just shows how weak and useless those in charge are to let them.
    Seems to me the superleague and rfl couldn't run the proverbial in a brewery.. Even i have bigger balls to make decisions
    Last edited by Saint Colin; 13th July 2020 at 22:23.

Learning All The Songs

The first games are so that the teams who have played one game less get their game in hand in. That's why we're playing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    The first games are so that the teams who have played one game less get their game in hand in. That's why we're playing.
    I'd say it's more so we get back on an even keel although Cats' have only played 4 games so they've got a fair bit of catch up to do.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Colin View Post
    . Even i have bigger balls to make decisions
    I wondered what a bloke was taking a wheelbarrow to the match for, now I know
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    I wondered what a bloke was taking a wheelbarrow to the match for, now I know
    It was a Wigooner learning to walk on his hind legs.