Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Signings U Were Pleasantly Surprised By

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Wasn't he a junior sprint champion or something? I remember him going about 80 yards at Valley Parade when we battered Bradford and thinking he was the fastest player I've ever seen.
    Albert and Offiah two fastest I've seen.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    Anyone know how fast he was ?
    He was around the 10.4 second mark for 100m and with the ball he was 11.5 ish

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Knew he'd be quality. Was decent in Aus before he came
    Yeah, he came with big expectations. And lived up to them.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Adam Quinlan

Banned

Ricky Bibey

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Knew he'd be quality. Was decent in Aus before he came
    Scored the winning try in a Grand Final when he was at Newcastle too.

I guess Long would be the obvious one, released by Wigan, ended up at Widnes but went on to become one of best players the country’s produced.

Walmsley as well has been a surprise, signing from Batley. Think I’m right in saying that Wilkin, Gardner and Walmsley all signed from the division below too and have all played for Great Britain.

Been watching a few old games back in lockdown and Leon Pryce was brilliant in 2006 as well. I don’t think he played much rugby in the halves at Bradford but he fitted in at Saints perfectly at the time.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post

I guess Long would be the obvious one, released by Wigan, ended up at Widnes but went on to become one of best players the country’s produced.

Walmsley as well has been a surprise, signing from Batley. Think I’m right in saying that Wilkin, Gardner and Walmsley all signed from the division below too and have all played for Great Britain.

Been watching a few old games back in lockdown and Leon Pryce was brilliant in 2006 as well. I don’t think he played much rugby in the halves at Bradford but he fitted in at Saints perfectly at the time.
    Some good point there Tez, I think the players you mentioned were from Hull KR, Barrow and Batley respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post

He moved to Saints because we promised him the No6 shirt
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Going back a bit, Paul Grimes put a good stint in for us.

Eric Hughes did a good half a season for us.

For me, Long is the one. I seemed to remember in his first few games he wanted a ball of his own and thought we had signed someone who didn't have a clue. I soon learned we should have given him a ball of his own.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Tea Ropati

One of my favourite ever players. He was world class by the time he left us for NZ Warriors. I was gutted when he left.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Read earlier posts and where did we sign karl hammond from , mention for jason cayliss as well

Banned

I think Hammond came from Widnes. Left us for London.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I think Hammond came from Widnes. Left us for London.
    Didn't really know Karle Hammond before he came to us, so can't say whether or not I was surprised by his performances. But, I always thought he was a bit underrated. Can't remember why we let him go, whether or not we brought in someone better or not but he was still young when he left.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Didn't really know Karle Hammond before he came to us, so can't say whether or not I was surprised by his performances. But, I always thought he was a bit underrated. Can't remember why we let him go, whether or not we brought in someone better or not but he was still young when he left.
    https://www.richarddelariviere.co.uk/?p=381

Is an interesting interview with Karle Hammond in it he explains why he left St Helens

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned

Thanks Banbury I really enjoyed that. In reality quite a short top level career. 28 and called it a draw! Nice to see its turned out well and if that is right and St George/Illawarra is 2 hours from Sydney I never imagined that. We went to Parra and that was a fair trip on the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by banburysaint View Post
    https://www.richarddelariviere.co.uk/?p=381

Is an interesting interview with Karle Hammond in it he explains why he left St Helens

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate. Always wondered why he left, and I didn't know he had played U21's in Aus then returned there. Seems he himself maybe thought he was a bit underrated. Good to see him doing well now.

Banned

Thanks mate. Always wondered why he left, and I didn't know he had played U21's in Aus then returned there. Seems he himself maybe thought he was a bit underrated. Good to see him doing well now.
    He was pretty skillful with the ball and could make the odd great tackle but he was one of those players who could never nail one position, he wasn't really quick enough for a half and not really big enough for LF, that's not to say he wasn't easy on the eye but when Tommy Martyn started to find some form there was only going to be one winner.

He was pretty skillful with the ball and could make the odd great tackle but he was one of those players who could never nail one position, he wasn't really quick enough for a half and not really big enough for LF, that's not to say he wasn't easy on the eye but when Tommy Martyn started to find some form there was only going to be one winner.
    I couldn't remember who came in to replace him. Didn't realise TM took over from him.

I think Hammonde was the type of player who had ability but to fulfill his potential and be great had to work very hard at it. Perhaps it's telling in the interview that he acknowledges he is very laid back so perhaps he didn't have the drive to push on.
    Compare him to the likes of Newlove who was probably the most naturally gifted player I've ever seen and, by his own admission, didn't work very hard at it.

Banned

I couldn't remember who came in to replace him. Didn't realise TM took over from him.
    We signed Martyn before him but he didn't really settle into the first team and was a bit part player until probably 97 onwards. I may be a year or so out on that but it roughly around that time.

We signed Martyn before him but he didn't really settle into the first team and was a bit part player until probably 97 onwards. I may be a year or so out on that but it roughly around that time.
    I think you're right. Didn't we sign Martyn from Oldham at the same or at least similar time as Joynt? Two of our most astute signing ever!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I think you're right. Didn't we sign Martyn from Oldham at the same or at least similar time as Joynt? Two of our most astute signing ever!

Yeah, around 92 I think, both of them took their time to settle as I remember but once they did, well the rest is history.

Banned

Yeah, around 92 I think, both of them took their time to settle as I remember but once they did, well the rest is history.

Wiki says Aug 93 we signed Martyn. I remember at the time the press were calling him a centre or stand off, and I know he played some rugby for us at centre. But his first ACL came a year or two after joining us and he lost what bit of pace he'd had. We played around with a lot of different HB combinations round that time. Ropati (left 94), Griffiths (left 95), Cooper (left 95), Goulding (joined 95) were all at the club at the same time as Martyn

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Wiki says Aug 93 we signed Martyn. I remember at the time the press were calling him a centre or stand off, and I know he played some rugby for us at centre. But his first ACL came a year or two after joining us and he lost what bit of pace he'd had. We played around with a lot of different HB combinations round that time. Ropati (left 94), Griffiths (left 95), Cooper (left 95), Goulding (joined 95) were all at the club at the same time as Martyn
    Now you say 93 that sounds right.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

It may have just been my impression at the time but prior to Summer Rugby, Martin and Matautia were on the outer edges of the squad and most probably would have been moved on but with Summer Rugby came the 4 subs rule.

We kept hold of them and I think a lot of Saint's success that first year was because we were able to have a strong bench of 4 first team quality players whilst other clubs were dipping into their youngsters