Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Wigan Athletic -administration-Twitter p

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Hahaha used to love getting in for nothing, it was part of it. Leeds had gate 1 and 2, either over someones garden wall into the cricket ground or that wall at the back of the south stand. Bradford just used jump the turnstiles. Then those kids season tickets that got you in for a quid, a queue of blokes all ••••ed up with kids tickets. Countless other blags and scams, and yeah, Wakey was one but I'm not sure we're on about the same thing.
    Was there a big sports bar near Bradford's ground or am I dreaming it)?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

There's some popular misconceptions been posted on this thread.

http://wigan.rlfans.com/news.php?readmore=4961

Wigan moved to the JJB/DW twenty year ago.so I looked at Bilkos site and compared those Wigan v Saints attendances with the twenty years at Central Park before we moved.
    Now bear in mind that up until 1996 we also had Boxing Day games which were well attended.

So for the seasons 1980 - 1999 at Central Park the average was 18,775 with nine attendances of 20,000 plus
    For the seasons 2000 - 2019 at the JJB/DW the average was 20,267 with twelve attendances greater than 20,000

So that should stop this nonsense of the DW being only half or two thirds full for the derby games.

And as for the ground being too big, fifteen of those attendances would have been over the maximum for the TW.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post

Wigan moved to the JJB/DW twenty year ago.so I looked at Bilkos site and compared those Wigan v Saints attendances with the twenty years at Central Park before we moved.
    Now bear in mind that up until 1996 we also had Boxing Day games which were well attended.

So for the seasons 1980 - 1999 at Central Park the average was 18,775 with nine attendances of 20,000 plus
    For the seasons 2000 - 2019 at the JJB/DW the average was 20,267 with twelve attendances greater than 20,000

So that should stop this nonsense of the DW being only half or two thirds full for the derby games.
    But of course as we all know it’s definitely more empty if there’s a wedding on.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    But of course as we all know it’s definitely more empty if there’s a wedding on.
    I only counted the league games!! We all know that cup ties are no longer attended as they used to be, hence having to have double/triple header for semi finals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I don't think so, there were 2 big pubs that I remember.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I don't think so, there were 2 big pubs that I remember.
    Was it the Richard Dunn Sports Centre?

Banned

I've no idea if it had a bar.

I've got a picture somewhere of me outside one of them.

That was the one across the road wasnt it?

I remember going into a bar or pub and then you walked up and went in the ground down the side where the Bradford speccies stood.

Used to be a really big game going up there on a friday or sunday night

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

There was a Police Station on the roundabout just past Odslum I parked once on Halifax Rd which is left at the roundabout I was in a load of parked cars about quarter of a mile long the road was 40 mph so you had to have lights on during the hours of darkness but I was in the middle of the row. When I got back I had a ticket on the windscreen for parking without lights I looked at the car in front and behind which also didn't have lights on but no tickets on them the only thing that must have swung it was the Saints sticker in the back window as it wasn't even properly dark. Needless to say I wasn't having a day off work to travel to Bratfut to contest it in court but I wrote to West Yorkshire Police, who had ticketed the car, telling them what I thought about them.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

That was the one across the road wasnt it?

I remember going into a bar or pub and then you walked up and went in the ground down the side where the Bradford speccies stood.

Used to be a really big game going up there on a friday or sunday night
    Yeah, that's the one we used use, on the dual carriageway. They were the turnstiles you could jump over.

I must admit, I never liked the place (Odsal), I left early more than once and went back to the pub, usually soaked and freezing.

Banned

A fine body of men.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

And as for the ground being too big, fifteen of those attendances would have been over the maximum for the TW.
    I won’t speak for anyone else but I never said the DW was half empty for games with Saints. I said the opposite, that big Good Friday derbies were the exception and that they were the times the stadium actually looked full. My point was all the other weeks when a 13-15,000 crowd looks awful in that ground, whereas the same crowd at LP, Headingley etc looks like a great crowd and has a better atmosphere.

It doesn’t actually matter if some of the crowds for derbies at the DW are higher than the capacity of LP. Once every two years you’ll get a 20,000-plus crowd on Good Friday but what about the other weeks when you’re sat in a soulless half empty ground that you don’t own? I’d rather have a ground that didn’t look half empty most weeks even if it means 2,000 people can’t get a ticket every two years on Good Friday.

You’re using the argument some make in Australia, that bigger means better. Clubs like Souths and Canterbury moved to ANZ because their old homes weren’t deemed big enough, but those two now get 15,000 most weeks in a massive ground and it looks awful, whereas clubs like St George get 15,000 in a 20,000 suburban ground and it looks and feels so much better. Yes, ANZ is great for the odd weekend that loads want to turn up, but most weeks fans of those teams openly complain about watching their teams in a stadium not built for them with thousands of empty seats. Wigan are now the same, and a full DW every two years doesn’t alter the fact that most weeks the place is half empty and must be soul destroying.

Banned

Who cares.

Who cares.
    Certainly not those who have their own ground.

Sorry, I've mentioned it again

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    There was a Police Station on the roundabout just past Odslum I parked once on Halifax Rd which is left at the roundabout I was in a load of parked cars about quarter of a mile long the road was 40 mph so you had to have lights on during the hours of darkness but I was in the middle of the row. When I got back I had a ticket on the windscreen for parking without lights I looked at the car in front and behind which also didn't have lights on but no tickets on them the only thing that must have swung it was the Saints sticker in the back window as it wasn't even properly dark. Needless to say I wasn't having a day off work to travel to Bratfut to contest it in court but I wrote to West Yorkshire Police, who had ticketed the car, telling them what I thought about them.
    That's shocking!

Got A Season Ticket

Got A Season Ticket

Good to look back at history ... but looks a good chance ground will be padlocked up come the end of the soccer season - assuming Athletic can fulfill their fixtures

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Whichever you its dressed up they lost Central Park by cheating the system. The business model said get the best players and pay them full time money and we win everything. The Gang of Four felt invincible laughing at Whelan and the thought of Latics at the mighty Central Park. Whelan would have spent some cash on Central Park. Then BOOM they lost a cul game, and as Heirich says the dominoes tumbled.

They then went on blended knee as a bankrupt basket case and Whelan took them on board on his terms.

The development of the stand at the end opposite the kop end tipped them over the edge (was it called the Whitbread Stand?). They committed to building it, then discovered some old pit shafts that needed to be filled. They started this then it turned into a bigger job. I was told at the time by someone with big links to the piescum club that it'd overrun by £4m.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post

I always appeal a parking ticket. Even if I've no chance of winning, I'll appeal - because it makes the tw*ts have to take time to assess the appeal and write back to me.

(apart from private 'parking tickets', who can go shove it up their arses - either ignore or use the wordings available on several sites like moneysavingexpert to write to them asking them to confirm who the driver was at that time... they won't be able to)

Got A Season Ticket

A fine body of men.

Please tell me you are the one in the white shirt with the angry look
    Anything else and your name is fraudulent Dave ��

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    Please tell me you are the one in the white shirt with the angry look
    Anything else and your name is fraudulent Dave ��
    no. I'm the good looking ••••er with my arm around Eddie Munster. 15 bloody years ago that picture, 'course I've not changed a bit since then.

A fine body of men.

Looks like the cast for a really shit sitcom :-)
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Looks like the cast for a really shit sitcom :-)
    Men behaving badly?

Got A Season Ticket

Wigan's pitch looks terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoJHHmvsbEU

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheRLStatman View Post
    Wigan's pitch looks terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoJHHmvsbEU
    It looks like a normal League 1 pitch after some harsh weather and lots of games.