Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wigan Athletic -administration-Twitter p

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Default Wigan Athletic -administration-Twitter p

Will this effect the pies? Are they their landlords? Asking for a friend.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

Was wondering what will happen to warriors they are tenants .

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Will this effect the pies? Are they their landlords? Asking for a friend.
    If the ripple effect of this means the end of Wigan rugby then SL is in a lot of trouble.

Banned

Those new carpets must have sent them over the edge, they're not cheap.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

May well move to LSV.........Wigan, just a small town in Leigh!!!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

They are in administration, so I assume that the receivers will be looking around for a buyer, they'll most probably find a foreign buyer who thinks they can make money out of a football club.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    May well move to LSV.........Wigan, just a small town in Leigh!!!
    If they went to Leigh I wouldn't be surprised, but what would be the long term effect on the Leythers?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    If the ripple effect of this means the end of Wigan rugby then SL is in a lot of trouble.
    Merge them with Leigh the name can be Wigan Centurions

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If they went to Leigh I wouldn't be surprised, but what would be the long term effect on the Leythers?
    Bitterness? Vandalised cars?

I'm hopeful this won't negatively affect the rugby team too much. The right for the RL club to play there was entrenched into the deal to build the stadium I believe. I think Whelan wanted to evict the rugby team at times, but found he couldn't, nor could he change the agreement for rent etc. I'm sure there will be some side agreements with Wigan Football that may need to be renegotiated so there could be some knock on effects.

With Neil Hudgell's confession that Hull KR are on a knife edge at the moment, I think RL as a sport needs to pull together. Can someone more positive and proactive start a crowdfunding campaign to help Saints perhaps? I'd happily put £20 in and if we could get 10,000 people to do that over the next 6 months I'm sure that would help a lot.

Learning All The Songs

There is a really funny smell about this, they were only bought by their new owners less than 4 weeks ago.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

It's a different issue I know, but Wigan need to get away from that ground in the long term IMO. Crowds are awful given what they've won whilst playing there and the actual size of the fanbase of that club. The location and make up of that ground must be a factor I think, because the thought of traipsing over there on a Friday night to sit in a half empty football ground cannot be that enticing.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

With how much emphasis they put investing into carpets I would imagine any business man will not want the stadium to go to waste. It might of been a stroke of genius from the Warriors.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

It makes you wander how due diligence and fit for purpose was performed on the takeover.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dave Whelan come in with a bid.
    Buy low, sell high has always been his modus operandi

Quotes from Phil Wilkinson, journalist for Wigan Evening Post below:

Just had 20 minutes with the administrator at the DW Stadium. Transcribing now, and video interview soon.
    Some key points:
    - Intention is to finish season
    - Confident of finding a buyer
    - Club 'well run day to day'... money just hasn't arrived from owner

- Plan is to find a buyer, rather than break up and sell-off training ground, players etc
    - Spoken to manager, who was shocked.. but positive attitude. He'll be informing players
    - Won't impact on Warriors' use of DW.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    It makes you wander how due diligence and fit for purpose was performed on the takeover.

Just had 20 minutes with the administrator at the DW Stadium. Transcribing now, and video interview soon.
    Some key points:

- Plan is to find a buyer, rather than break up and sell-off training ground, players etc
    - Spoken to manager, who was shocked.. but positive attitude. He'll be informing players
    Good post - It will Of course impact on Warriors if buyer not found

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Those new carpets must have sent them over the edge, they're not cheap.
    Should have opted for laminate! Under normal circumstances I'd have a chuckle but at the present time it's worrying for everyone, and hopefully all the Superleagueclubs will pull together and avoid the trouble that the likes of Wigan Athletic have got in although it might just be a sly move for the new owners to avoid the debts of the previous ones.Sometimes, even though it's difficult, you have to put your own club second for the good of the game, or else you'd find yourself with no opposition to play,

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I feel sorry for the Latics fans and employees and have friends who support both the football and rugby teams

I know of someone who went to work there this morning to find the doors shut and at the time no explanation.
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 1st July 2020 at 15:23.

Some key points:

Very to the point, good info.

You wish we (the sport/RFL) would take the opportunity to buy the stadium. It is a good venue for test matches and semi finals etc.

One this we don't have enough of as a sport is assets.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs

To help the Tics out next season the RL club should take on their 12pt deduction for going into administration.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    to help the tics out next season the rl club should take on their 12pt deduction for going into administration.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Should have opted for laminate! Under normal circumstances I'd have a chuckle but at the present time it's worrying for everyone, and hopefully all the Superleagueclubs will pull together and avoid the trouble that the likes of Wigan Athletic have got in although it might just be a sly move for the new owners to avoid the debts of the previous ones.Sometimes, even though it's difficult, you have to put your own club second for the good of the game, or else you'd find yourself with no opposition to play,

I think in this case, there's a lot more to it than merely Covid19. This is from the BBC, the 'Stanley' being referred to being Paul Stanley of the Administrators, Begbies Traynor:

"The funding that was due to come in from the owners didn't come in. I've had no contact with the owners and I don't know why the funding didn't come in. It might be coronavirus-related, I just don't know."

Stanley also confirmed that the administrators have control over Wigan's DW Stadium and training ground as well as the club itself.
    This isn't to say the financial situation at a lot of RL clubs isn't perilous, because it is, but there appears to have been promises made by the new owners that haven't been fulfilled.

Learning All The Songs

I feel sorry for the Latics fans and employees and have friends who support both the football and rugby teams

I know of someone who went to work there this morning to find the doors shut and at the time no explanation.

No joy when a club goes bust

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Merge them with Leigh the name can be Wigan Centurions
    I'd prefer Leigh Warriors
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Bitterness? Vandalised cars?

I'm hopeful this won't negatively affect the rugby team too much. The right for the RL club to play there was entrenched into the deal to build the stadium I believe. I think Whelan wanted to evict the rugby team at times, but found he couldn't, nor could he change the agreement for rent etc. I'm sure there will be some side agreements with Wigan Football that may need to be renegotiated so there could be some knock on effects.

With Neil Hudgell's confession that Hull KR are on a knife edge at the moment, I think RL as a sport needs to pull together. Can someone more positive and proactive start a crowdfunding campaign to help Saints perhaps? I'd happily put £20 in and if we could get 10,000 people to do that over the next 6 months I'm sure that would help a lot.
    I would quite happily put 20 in, but I haven't just donated a season ticket.

In The South Stand

The Leigh people and I deliberately didn't say fans would not take well to Wigan taking there Stadium . There will be ructions.

Learning All The Songs

With all the talk of debt to gdp ratio in America & Japan, Europe (apart from Italy and France) and China seem okay,we should borrow big/massive from these as much as we can on the almost interest free rates offered for the covid from Europe (Germany). We should grow the sport with ridiculous investment in at all levels immediately courting every needy media outlet for hours or weeks with no loyalty only to the ££. A World War or Trade War seems inevitable so when they come looking for their money tell them to f@@k off quoting Hitler`s repression of our sport. When the Chinese come looking for their repayments close up shop and open in a different name.