Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I think CBS in the States use Faldo because it gives their coverage something other than just Americans blathering on, but he doesn't really add much.

For any NFL fans here, I'm sure you'd agree that the amount of money CBS are giving Tony Romo should include a few stints commentating on the golf, when he isn't playing it anyway. Every sport should be looking for the next Romo to revolutionalise their TV coverage. I'm not sure RL has anyone out there at the moment.
    Agree 100%, Romo is amazing. Jim Nantz was on the No Laying Up podcast saying as much.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Different opinions. I just get fed up of hearing Butch Harmon talk about his father or "when I coached Tiger" atc.
    Thats a really good point.

Voss was out of favour for a while. He came over to do the 2013 world cup and loved it. That was when the calls came for Sky to get him on board. It didnt happen which is a shame.

Sky seem to be very loyal to their on screen staff. In all sports not just rugby league. This has resulted in a lot of their presentation becoming very stale. They try and move people around to help combat this, Brian Carney to a presenter role has worked well. However in general they are struggling.

In the end a big clear out is needed.

Barry and Terry on Rugby League.
    Gary Neville on the football.
    Neil Reynolds on NFL
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Voss was out of favour for a while. He came over to do the 2013 world cup and loved it. That was when the calls came for Sky to get him on board. It didnt happen which is a shame.

Sky seem to be very loyal to their on screen staff. In all sports not just rugby league. This has resulted in a lot of their presentation becoming very stale. They try and move people around to help combat this, Brian Carney to a presenter role has worked well. However in general they are struggling.

In the end a big clear out is needed.

Barry and Terry on Rugby League.
    Gary Neville on the football.
    Neil Reynolds on NFL
    Gary Neville is the best pundit on TV. The insight him and Carragher give is second to none.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Gary Neville is the best pundit on TV. The insight him and Carragher give is second to none.
    Now if he had said Jamie Redknapp i would have agreed with him, he is awful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Agreed although Carragher was really annoying the other night when the redshite won the league and he was ••••ed, he couldn't have tried to be more scouse.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Rich Beem, Butch and his son are the only Americans I really like. Butch has retired now I think. Ironically Faldo is the absolute worst. Can't stand listening to him.

I quite like Rich Beem.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Totally expect a ribbing for this, I quite liked Cullen's breakdown of the game. Sh1thouse of a player but very well spoken for RL commentary.
    [ducks]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Agreed although Carragher was really annoying the other night when the redshite won the league and he was ••••ed, he couldn't have tried to be more scouse.
    Which was to be expected even though he was an Evertonian.

I couldn’t stand him as a player but his analysis with Neville has raised the bar for punditry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Now if he had said Jamie Redknapp i would have agreed with him, he is awful.
    Haha, spot on.

There’s a clip from a few years ago we’re he circled the corner flag and said, ‘that’s the corner flag’.

Genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I know hes not on Sky sports but you would struggle to find a worse pundit than Michael Owen. Good lord.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Most of the former footballers sound like they hate the game, Andy Hinchcliffe being the worst culprit.

Playing for Everton tends to make you hate the game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Playing for Everton tends to make you hate the game

Playing for Liverpool tends to make you think you ARE the game.

Got a point there

Got A Season Ticket

Is that why you support Saints so you can shout Champions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS2411 View Post
    That comment is as poor as Mane's haircut, your punctuation and Liverpool's first half performance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Sky take the blame usually, but at some point we need to look at the game itself and realise that if less people are watching then maybe less people want to watch. The old lines were all about Eddie and Stevo and how we needed younger presenters who didn't look like Northern stereotypes, but we now have Carney who is youngish and the likes of Wells, who presents himself professionally. I don't honestly think Baz and Tez turn anyone away. They may annoy actual fans but I don't think the average punter who decides to give the RL a watch on a Friday night cares that there are two Northern 'biff and bash' artists on the commentary anymore than the average punter cares that RU has the likes of Brian Moore who has a similar (if more eloquant) attitude.

Fox in Australia have Blocker Roach who does a similar job of being the 'boof-head' ex-forward who they go to for similar comments, but it doesn't detract from the presentation because for every wordy ex-half back there needs to be an ex-forward who has played in the trenches, because both need to be represented ideally. It works in Australia on Fox and Nine because the quality on the field is the star, and the commentators and analysts are merely adding to what would be decent regardless. PL football is the same. If I'm watching a big game I can put up with anyone on commentary because they aren't central to what I'm watching, but give me Bournemouth v Palace and I'll be picking holes in every comment because frankly I'm not bothered about the game and I want the commentators to give me something to add to the occasion.

Now yes, sometimes the commentators can actively dilute the enjoyment of a big RL game on Sky with their stupidity, but I find that this happens less now because Arthur doesn't see himself as the voice of the sport unlike his predecessor, and the others (whilst at times daft or just plain wrong) aren't larger than life like Stevo. So, at the end of the day, the modern presentation is basically okay with bits of stupidity, but it's not going to drive anyone away IMO. The ref schtick is pointless, but unfortunately everyone has an 'official' onsite to tell us what we can see with our own eyes these days, so we're stuck with it.

Maybe back in 2000 or whenever, more people watched games because frankly the league was better, the big teams were better, the big games felt bigger and the competition at the top was stiffer. Saints, Bradford and to a lesser degree Wigan and Leeds had teams that could pull punters in, and when the play off format was young and teams still treated the league like it was massive every week we had compelling games and compelling races for top spot that felt big and made viewers want to watch. Nowadays the play-off format is 20-odd years old and everybody has worked out that the weekly rounds are not vital. The best teams aren't as good as they were, and so neutrals and the general sports fan isn't as bothered to watch games than maybe they once were.

Sky could present the game better, and could hype it better throughout the week, but we could have said that for the entirety of the 25+ years they've been doing this. Less people tune in now not because of Sky but because they are less bothered to watch RL, and whether it's the style of play, the structure of the league, the quality of teams etc, it's not going to change because Sky give it a new lick of paint. We may be happier as fans of the game, but people who aren't will not care either way.
    Agree with majority of what you say pal which is basically the problems we face as a sport are much deeper than presentation but I must say the overall coverage of our game has been poor for too long and it hasnt helped.

I made a point a while back that the Big League in the early 1990s captured the zeitgeist of the time and presented the sport as a ‘cool alt’ type sport - techno music mized with cool graphics and a strong commentary team at a point when Stevo still understood the game and Hemmings wasnt up himself.

The problem came when as Noel says, Sky remained loyal to an outdated team and maintained a style that belongs in the last century: the hard sell, the silly try music, the shouting and cheap controversy.

Not only that ironically Sky sleptwalked into presenting the game as Eddie Waring once did. Slapstick nonesense (for example remember them packing up the SL shield a while back at our gaff?) and perhaps Baz and Tez just came across as the daft Northern lads. Unfortunately it cooincided with a book of partnerships that reinforced this: Mushy Peas, Stobart, Mecca Bingo etc.

Your right that Carney is a different mould but too little and too late. How on earth anyone can take the game seriously whilst that idiotic try music remains for example I dont know. Does anyone still think thats fashionable.?

Banned

Peering down from our perch [again], it seems like we are.

Stop hating so much and accept your 'small club' place in the pecking order.

Banned

Peering down from our perch [again], it seems like we are.

Stop hating so much and accept your 'small club' place in the pecking order.
    A small club you lot seem obsessed about.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS2411 View Post
    No redneck has been able to shout that for the last 30 years.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

A small club you lot seem obsessed about.
    Dear Kettle, you are black. Regards, Pot.

Banned

Dear Kettle, you are black. Regards, Pot.

Racist.