Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survey

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

My biggest concern is how the club is going top handle the renewal of season tickets for next year to avoid income slippage. With this season not starting until August and possibly not finishing until end Nov/early Dec that is past the usual re newel deadline, also if we still haven't been allowed into the stadium I can't see a good enough commitment to purchase a season ticket for next year to current levels.

So in reality this problem for the club will extend over two seasons, I hope the club have this covered in the interest of both parties.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Moving forward, I did wonder if a 'carnet' type ticket system would work where you bought a book of say 10?, 20?, 30? non-transferable tickets with a use-by date, at a suitable discount.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Moving forward, I did wonder if a 'carnet' type ticket system would work where you bought a book of say 10?, 20?, 30? non-transferable tickets with a use-by date, at a suitable discount.
    I like the idea of that, that would be perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    Cheers mate, appreciate that. I’m ok, fortunately I’ve managed well financially so can cope at the moment, getting back to watch live games is what I’m most looking forward to!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really sorry to hear that. Tough times we are in. Keep your chin up.

EDIT: sorry meant to quote your earlier post. Quoting this sounds like I'm sorry for you that you've managed well financially. D'oh!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I really like the idea of that as well, the only slight problem might be that some fans might choose not to use their tickets when the game was live on Sky which would really hit the attendance figures if "season" ticket holders failed to turn up

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I go to matches with a mate, he has sent me a copy of the email. Even though it is not in my name I can still do the survey as long as I put my membership number on it.

On that basis maybe someone from the club could consider putting a link to it on here.

I found it annoying to be honest.

People are entitled to a refund plain and simple. They shouldn't be made to feel guilty about asking for it.

If you paid for a carpet from a shop and they didn't deliver it would you let them keep the money?

They should refund the money then if any fans want to give it back as a donation its up to them.

They are running a professional business if they need more funds then they should consider the option of selling shares as already mentioned.

Don't like this begging bowl mentality.

Having said all that I'd most probably go for option 2., it was just the wording of the survey that annoyed me.

As I have said everyone situation is different, but with regards to the begging bowl mentality just stop and think.

If say there are 8,000 season ticket holder with let’s say an average price of £200, that’s £1.6 million in cash the club has to find. So it is a very serious situation and I don’t think people should underestimate it.

In my view it is a whole world of difference between this and say a holiday or any other service or goods provider, I don’t have any sense of attachment any particular company but I do have one to Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Really sorry to hear that. Tough times we are in. Keep your chin up.

EDIT: sorry meant to quote your earlier post. Quoting this sounds like I'm sorry for you that you've managed well financially. D'oh!
    Haha! Cheers mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

For what it is worth my view is that we all as season ticket holders are investors in a club. No-one goes into this expecting to make a profit least of all the Chairman and the owners.

I appreciate that in these strange times there are some who will find a refund a real lifeline and everyone is entitled to their own opinion based on their personal circumstances.

The current situation is undoubtedly very serious for the club and if we want to maintain all of the excellent work that has been done we should if we can take the donate option and support our club. I don't think this is a situation to be demanding your legal rights and your money back.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    ...The current situation is undoubtedly very serious for the club and if we want to maintain all of the excellent work that has been done we should if we can take the donate option and support our club.
    Donating is all well and good, but it may not be the best option for the club.
    I'm worried that many season ticket holders will perhaps donate, but then think twice before renewing again next season. After the short term 'fix', the club could ultimately lose out on this steady income stream.
    If they went down the multi season ticket route, or perhaps a carnet, where the 2020 seasons ticket value is used as an offset, then wouldn't that give them a longer term stability over several years?
    I don't pretend to know the answers BTW. I just hope the club are exploring all avenues here.

Each person is different. I'm sure that those who can afford it will not ask for a refund of their season ticket and see it as an investment in the club. Those who cannot afford obviously will not and should not. As much as we all love the club, there will always be more important things.

I was interested to see what the club was offering as an incentive to donate the cost of this year's membership. As has been pointed out, if everyone puts in, it could be as much as a £1.6 million donation. Not all will, but an estimate is that this donation will be worth between £500,000 and £1 million to the club.

That is a huge amount of money. We could ask for names embraided on a warm up top, or a commemorative plaque or badge, or a free Saints TV subscription. Or we could ask for something more meaningful. A seat at the table.

The club is well run at the moment and I have total faith in Eamonn McManus. However, he is 64 years old and he and his investment will not be around forever. In 2002, this club was in dire financial straits. At some point or another, most rugby league clubs have been. It would be naive to think we may not find ourselves in this position again.

As fans, we may now be investing a six or seven figure sum in the club and we deserve something meaningful in return. We need a supporters association to be formed which demands that this money is handed over on the condition that we have a say in how the club is run, with this amount acting as a security.

I have put this in my response to the club's survey and encourage you all to do the same. As fans, we need to organise ourselves to make this happen.
    Last edited by RV12; 28th June 2020 at 16:41. Reason: Typo...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    We have not got enough season ticket holders to be "I am better than you". I don't think we should get any additional recognition by writing off the cost.

I do however think it wouldn't be a bad idea for next season to think a bit differently. Season ticket + it could be your ticket and two pints every game at a decent alcohol discount to get you in a bit earlier.

But keeping a trophy winning team is the way to keep the crowds at 10K. The worry for me was seeing it drop to 3K many years ago and that was without the football obsessions in cheap pubs.
    Totally agree. We either do it for the love of the club or we just don't do it. None of this names on walls or woven in shirts, which in itself will cost the club money.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    Each person is different. I'm sure that those who can afford it will not ask for a refund of their season ticket and see it as an investment in the club. Those who cannot afford obviously will not and should not. As much as we all love the club, there will always be more important things.

I was interested to see what the club was offering as an incentive to donate the cost of this year's membership. As has been pointed out, if everyone puts in, it could be as much as a £1.6 million donation. Not all will, but an estimate is that this donation will be worth between £500,000 and £1 million to the club.

That is a huge amount of money. We could ask for names embraided on a warm up top, or a commemorative plaque or badge, or a free Saints TV subscription. Or we could ask for something more meaningful. A seat at the table.

The club is well run at the moment and I have total faith in Eamonn McManus. However, he is 74 years old and he and his investment will not be around forever. In 2002, this club was in dire financial straits. At some point or another, most rugby league clubs have been. It would be naive to think we may not find ourselves in this position again.

As fans, we may now be investing a six or seven figure sum in the club and we deserve something meaningful in return. We need a supporters association to be formed which demands that this money is handed over on the condition that we have a say in how the club is run, with this amount acting as a security.

I have put this in my response to the club's survey and encourage you all to do the same. As fans, we need to organise ourselves to make this happen.
    Good point about the supporters association, don't know how it would work in practice but an interesting idea.

For me the refunds v donations should be two separate issues.

Season ticket holders are entitled to a refund plain and simple and it was wrong to phrase the email in a way to make fans feel guilty.

Having got a refund if fans want to donate that or more into a fund to help finance the club that's a separate issue. Maybe the club could create a share issue that this supporters club could buy and have involvement in thew club.

On the downside I think a few years ago Widnes were actually run by a supporters or members committee, not too sure of the details but I think it didn't end well.

Interesting idea though

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post

The club is well run at the moment and I have total faith in Eamonn McManus. However, he is 74 years old and he and his investment will not be around forever. In 2002, this club was in dire financial straits. At some point or another, most rugby league clubs have been. It would be naive to think we may not find ourselves in this position again.

74 years old? Don't wish his life away, he's only in his mid sixties I think, plenty of life left in him yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    74 years old? Don't wish his life away, he's only in his mid sixties I think, plenty of life left in him yet!
    DOB May 1956

Learning All The Songs

Worrying times. Not received the e mail myself. Don't know what the options are but won't be asking for a refund on this year's membership. Everyone's financial situation will be different and others principals and ideas maybe different so they may want a refund. That's totally their choice. I think other clubs will probably give their members similar choices. Despite trekking over the pennines I love coming to watch Saints play and am really missing attending the games.

In The South Stand

Well, I've opted to donate and completed the survey accordingly. I paid for my season ticket in full. I've been fortunate in that my employment has continued throughout the pandemic and so I am financially able to donate, which I do freely because I would hate the club to fail.

To me, the money has gone. Along with the flights to Perpignan and Toronto.
    It is not Saints fault, so I don't expect them to refund me.
    It is all about the future.
    Will I renew next year????????

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Good point about the supporters association, don't know how it would work in practice but an interesting idea.

For me the refunds v donations should be two separate issues.

Season ticket holders are entitled to a refund plain and simple and it was wrong to phrase the email in a way to make fans feel guilty.

Having got a refund if fans want to donate that or more into a fund to help finance the club that's a separate issue. Maybe the club could create a share issue that this supporters club could buy and have involvement in thew club.

On the downside I think a few years ago Widnes were actually run by a supporters or members committee, not too sure of the details but I think it didn't end well.

Interesting idea though
    Think if you knew your local rugby you would know that Widnes was run by 1 so called money man and his paid director.... the paid director had his bother running the club,,,, all 2 out of the 3 took money out.... 1 did not put his money in,,, so club ran out of funds,,,,,, now club as been taken over and is run be the supporters they dont have lot of money to spend but can still pay the likes of matty Smith so must be doing something right

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by poshscouser View Post
    Think if you knew your local rugby you would know that Widnes was run by 1 so called money man and his paid director.... the paid director had his bother running the club,,,, all 2 out of the 3 took money out.... 1 did not put his money in,,, so club ran out of funds,,,,,, now club as been taken over and is run be the supporters they dont have lot of money to spend but can still pay the likes of matty Smith so must be doing something right
    I was thinking back to the 70s & 80s era, pre super league

Quote Originally Posted by poshscouser View Post
    Chequered history particularly in recent years, at one time being run by people with no connection or love of the sport, Vaughan, with connections to Curtiss Warren etc, but at heart a good club supported by decent people who had to rescue it from the plight they left them in
    Last edited by Woolyback; 28th June 2020 at 21:07.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

I dont have a season ticket but if I did I would forget the money if they perhaps gave me a signed shirt in a frame with a plaque signed by players coaches some club legends etc. It would cost the shirt let's say they pay £15 for them and a frame for it would be a keepsake and a nice gesture.

Banned

Two very sad people who have not been able to refrain from a Saints thread. You really are a pair aren't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Two very sad people who have not been able to refrain from a Saints thread. You really are a pair aren't you.
    A bit harsh there mate. Both have made relevant contributions to this topic IMO.

Learning All The Songs

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....ns-2897415?amp

Similar stuff from Leeds, although they also have the option to spread their refund against the cost of a three-year season ticket. For donating they get a season ticket price freeze through to 2023 and a hospitality invite.