Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Restart 2/8/20

Learning All The Songs

Will the challenge cup still be played for this season?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    I can't see them getting that in too in the time we have left, plus I don't think we have the same financial commitments for this as we do with Sky. Could be wrong though!

On a side note, it would have been the final on 18th July!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I can't see them getting that in too in the time we have left, plus I don't think we have the same financial commitments for this as we do with Sky. Could be wrong though!

On a side note, it would have been the final on 18th July!
    No mention of it on the press release but Dave Woods of the BBC thinks it's still on, I can't see why not, it's only a couple more games these days to get to the semis and final with Supleague joining at a later stage, and it's unfinished business for us after last year, and a higher profile on the BBC, there should be room to fit it especially with a shorter play off series for the Grand Final. It will also possibly keep interest going for some clubs who miss out on the top four, not being pessimistic but that might include us!

Learning All The Songs

Guess they'll need to sort out what's happening with the Championship and L1 first as there are still a few of those teams in the Cup. If they're not starting up again this season then I guess they'd either have to give their SL opponents byes or start it again as a mini SL-only knock-out comp. With the RFL already losing the Ashes series, losing the Cup altogether would leave them in a pretty sticky position financially (more so than they are in a good year anyway).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    Yes it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

When the 3 restart options were published at the end of May they all had the Cup being played. Option 1, which is the one they are now going with, had the final on the weekend of October 25th.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Learning All The Songs

New rules introduced for this season;

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...eagues-restart

Hetherington’s got his wish for the reserves for this year and next year, to be reviewed for 2022.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    New rules introduced for this season;

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...eagues-restart

Hetherington’s got his wish for the reserves for this year and next year, to be reviewed for 2022.
    Hopefully that's the wrestle out of the window. You'll have that guy from Leeds on here telling us what Hetherington as done for RL, including the reserves.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Hopefully that's the wrestle out of the window. You'll have that guy from Leeds on here telling us what Hetherington as done for RL, including the reserves.
    Hopefully so, only problem is the muppets with the whistle being as inconsistent as ever.

Learning All The Songs

Nah Ghost of ‘99 isn’t obsessed about Hetherington, but if you dare to suggest Gary the saviour isn’t all sweetness and light then expect to get put right.

Hopefully this doesn't have any detrimental effect on the restart:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/53314482

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Nah Ghost of ‘99 isn’t obsessed about Hetherington, but if you dare to suggest Gary the saviour isn’t all sweetness and light then expect to get put right.
    Maybe his christian name is Kath.

Banned

Hopefully this doesn't have any detrimental effect on the restart:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/53314482
    It's got the potential to, but let's hope it's just brinkmanship by some players.

If they derail this over relatively small amounts, they risk collapsing the sport as a fully professional game, which would lead to all players being far worse off.

I've very little sympathy with the players here. Clubs are in financial dire straights and in society generally hundreds of thousands of people have either lost or stand to lose their jobs. Players need to keep both a sense of perspective and also be aware how damaging their greed could be to the sport.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It's got the potential to, but let's hope it's just brinkmanship by some players.

If they derail this over relatively small amounts, they risk collapsing the sport as a fully professional game, which would lead to all players being far worse off.

I've very little sympathy with the players here. Clubs are in financial dire straights and in society generally hundreds of thousands of people have either lost or stand to lose their jobs. Players need to keep both a sense of perspective and also be aware how damaging their greed could be to the sport.
    I wonder if Saints are one of the clubs who have agreed a wage structure with the players, i sure hope so. Seems to be a growing concern now that we may not see rugby league again this year

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Colin View Post
    I wonder if Saints are one of the clubs who have agreed a wage structure with the players, i sure hope so. Seems to be a growing concern now that we may not see rugby league again this year
    Usual suspects as erm, usual.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Gareth Carvell makes a good point in a quote in the Guardian criticising some clubs who announce big money signings for next year, and at the same time asking current players to accept large pay cuts, presumably to pay for the big money signings out of the savings made, it's bound to cause resentment among players I completely agree that players need to be realistic though and Carvell says that a 15 percent cut across the board is acceptable but some clubs apparently are now talking 40 to 50 percent cuts as the prospect of crowds returning looks bleaker, and the clubs tacit agreement of 15 percent looks unachievable

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I believe Catalan are back in this week, Wigan on the 20th.

Banned

Bet you cant wait to be stood at those gates in Oral with AKI on the 20th. Bulging bicep spotters! Thanks for the hot news.

Got A Season Ticket

Hull it seems have offered there players full pay on return and the players from other clubs are after the same

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    Hull it seems have offered there players full pay on return and the players from other clubs are after the same
    Really hope I'm wrong, but i can see the restart going tits up

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I believe Catalan are back in this week, Wigan on the 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Gareth Carvell makes a good point in a quote in the Guardian criticising some clubs who announce big money signings for next year, and at the same time asking current players to accept large pay cuts, presumably to pay for the big money signings out of the savings made, it's bound to cause resentment among players I completely agree that players need to be realistic though and Carvell says that a 15 percent cut across the board is acceptable but some clubs apparently are now talking 40 to 50 percent cuts as the prospect of crowds returning looks bleaker, and the clubs tacit agreement of 15 percent looks unachievable
    I'm all for the players doing their bit to help out the clubs, but not if that saving by clubs is being used to subsidise new signings.

Banned

I'm all for the players doing their bit to help out the clubs, but not if that saving by clubs is being used to subsidise new signings.
    Same here, I would have thought there's grounds for breach of employment law there. In any case, I doubt the incoming player would be made very welcome so it seems a bit daft to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post

That is, of course, the other side of the coin.

I think a 10-15% reduction until crowds are allowed back in is reasonable. Permanent or much bigger cuts, along with making big-money signings, is a slap in the face.

Isn’t the new rescheduled fixture list supposed to be out today?