Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: No scrums or no brains

Starting A Programme Collection

Default No scrums or no brains

So the RL want to suspend scrums for the near future to help avoiding the spread of the covid virus. Well are they going to have virtual tackling as well. Having 4 players involved in the tackle for 70% of the game is OK but half a dozen scrums is a danger. No wonder our wonderful game struggles for its true recognition with these clowns running the show.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    So the RL want to suspend scrums for the near future to help avoiding the spread of the covid virus. Well are they going to have virtual tackling as well. Having 4 players involved in the tackle for 70% of the game is OK but half a dozen scrums is a danger. No wonder our wonderful game struggles for its true recognition with these clowns running the show.
    For the way scrums have gone they are a joke and provide very little to the game, a tap restart where the SH passes to the LF saves all the time setting up the scrum and is the same outcome. Not bringing up the Union v League debate but they have proper scrums and we don't.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    For the way scrums have gone they are a joke and provide very little to the game, a tap restart where the SH passes to the LF saves all the time setting up the scrum and is the same outcome. Not bringing up the Union v League debate but they have proper scrums and we don't.
    What it does do though is tie up 6 players and give an opportunity to attack. Look at Taia's try in the Grand Final. It's bloody stupid if they do go with this.

Default No scrums or no brains

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    What it does do though is tie up 6 players and give an opportunity to attack. Look at Taia's try in the Grand Final. It's bloody stupid if they do go with this.
    I agree with you about scrums - they create a unique scenario even if the scrum itself is largely meaningless.

But at the same time if the RFL has been told that the game can come back in August as long as there are no scrums then as a temporary measure it’s a no brainer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I agree with you about scrums - they create a unique scenario even if the scrum itself is largely meaningless.

But at the same time if the RFL has been told that the game can come back in August as long as there are no scrums then as a temporary measure it’s a no brainer.
    As a temporary measure, fair enough I suppose. I was kind of thinking they were planning to do away with them all together.

I wonder were this leaves RU? When much more of the game is scrums/rucks/mauls.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    As a temporary measure, fair enough I suppose. I was kind of thinking they were planning to do away with them all together.

I wonder were this leaves RU? When much more of the game is scrums/rucks/mauls.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...sk-rugby-union

Noooobie

They haven't even done the maths correctly. The Guardian article below states that a one to one tackle represents one opportunity for infection, but a 12 man scrum represents 132 instances. This is wrong, it is actually 66 (they forgot to divide by 2). If they are to make such a decision, they should at least base it in the correct information.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ng-coronavirus

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Meninga View Post
    They haven't even done the maths correctly. The Guardian article below states that a one to one tackle represents one opportunity for infection, but a 12 man scrum represents 132 instances. This is wrong, it is actually 66 (they forgot to divide by 2). If they are to make such a decision, they should at least base it in the correct information.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ng-coronavirus
    !2 players could each effect 11 others 12 X 11 = 132

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    !2 players could each effect 11 others 12 X 11 = 132
    The article says that a one to one tackle represents one contact (one pair),

There are 66 possible 'pairs' in a 12 man scrum.

2 players - 1 contact (A- but don't count it twice (ie B-A)

3 players - 3 contact (A-B, A-C, B-C)

4 players - 6 contacts (A-B, A-C, A-D, B-C, B-D, C-D)

Formula (n)(n-1)/2

12 players - 66 contacts (12 x 11 / 2)

Learning All The Songs

The scrums are an anachronism anyway, unless they are done properly. Either go back to proper scrums or scrap them completely and just have a handover. While we’re at it, reduce to 12 per side by scraping the loose forward. Speed it all up.
    Last edited by John; 22nd June 2020 at 12:51.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Formula (n)(n-1)/2

You should get a job at the Guardian.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post

Yeah I agree. I think the game would start to look really repetitive if we had three forms of possession coming from a tap restart. As you say if we need to cut scrums out in the short term that’s fine but I wouldn’t want to get rid of them for good personally.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket

Formula (n)(n-1)/2

But you have to count both don't you? B could infect A but A could also infect B