Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jammer coming Home?

If we can sign him for an 18 month contract it could be good business.

Being blunt, the comp here is not as hard as NRL so that’s a factor. Players who looked above average over there look like superstars over here sometimes.

I can’t imagine he’d be coming back to get smashed to pieces every week so surely if that was the case for the rest of this season he would hang up his boots.

As other people have said, his drive and motivation might be shot (rather than his legs) playing for the club who aren’t winning anything and are not likely to get anywhere near, after losing 2 finals with the Bulldogs (Whilst at Saints he won a single GF and 3 challenge cups plus MOS and 3 LLS) and would see a return home as his only likely avenue to a chance of silverware to end his career.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Hopefully not just putting two and two together, but I really hope he has signed, despite his age I think he'll give a massive lift to the club after losing Thompson, still made 170 yards the week before in the NRL, so far from past it.

I'd give us him 18 months

Got A Season Ticket

Great signing if true! His experience will be invaluable around the dressing room. Matty Lees will benefit hugely from Graham.

Talking

Agree with all saying he’d be great for club culture etc. Also, on the cap I’m not sure but would he still count as homegrown and if so what is the dispensation? If 75k is correct it’s a relatively low risk move.

A couple of points re being ‘cooked’, we are only seeing him against NRL players and in a test match arena. He won’t be facing that standard of opposition every week here. Another point that might be in his favour is that he’s had essentially 8/9 months off from playing which might put a bit of juice back in the legs and give the mind a rest

If he only gives us 6-12 decent months he’s 100% the kind of person I’d want on our coaching staff so if the legs can’t do it he may naturally take up a position on the touch line

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Agree with all saying he’d be great for club culture etc. Also, on the cap I’m not sure but would he still count as homegrown and if so what is the dispensation? If 75k is correct it’s a relatively low risk move.

A couple of points re being ‘cooked’, we are only seeing him against NRL players and in a test match arena. He won’t be facing that standard of opposition every week here. Another point that might be in his favour is that he’s had essentially 8/9 months off from playing which might put a bit of juice back in the legs and give the mind a rest

If he only gives us 6-12 decent months he’s 100% the kind of person I’d want on our coaching staff so if the legs can’t do it he may naturally take up a position on the touch line
    I'd be giving him a role overseeing player recruitment, similar to what Sam Burgess has got at Souths

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I’d be amazed if it’s anyone but us. I was confident when he went that he’d come home eventually and it looks like it’s gonna happen. Not the player he was but has still got something to add to this team, especially with Thompson gone.

Yes there’s the nostalgia and sentimental factor kicking in as well but I do think he can still contribute. Maybe a move back home will be the catalyst for him to kick on for another 18 months or so.
    I think SL is weaker now than in recent years and currently there is a dearth of decent props. With that in mind, like yourself l think he could do a job for 18 months. One thing you can be certain of is we would not bullied and lie down to other teams with him leading the forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think SL is weaker now than in recent years and currently there is a dearth of decent props. With that in mind, like yourself l think he could do a job for 18 months. One thing you can be certain of is we would not bullied and lie down to other teams with him leading the forwards.
    I'd go a bit further & say SL is a second rate feeder comp and we've been dragged to poor standards by a pitifully low cap, tunnel vision, no planning, no direction & a distinct lack of ambition.

Anyway, welcome back Jammer (it seems)

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Alot of the talk about Graham over in NRL is that he is done.

Ive only caught one St George game since the season resumed. I will say he didnt make as much a impact as he once did.

Hes played in 2 teams where they are always towards the lower end of the table.

Hes also not won anything over there. His one grand final ended in a loss.

Would I like to see him back? Yes. But I know he will be pieced back together every time saints play him.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

There’s no doubt Graham is past his best however there’s no doubt that he will give his absolute all for the club and will still be a better prop than the majority of props in Super League.

I’d of been concerned with just Walmsley, Lees, LMS, Amor in the forwards and Ashworth seems to have gone off the radar now.

We may use Graham differently - in shorter spells or off the bench, either way he’ll do a job for us and will be great for the the dressing room and will give the players a lift after losing Thommo.

If anyone thought we needed a leader on the pitch we’ve certainly got one if he signs for us.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Alot of the talk about Graham over in NRL is that he is done.

Ive only caught one St George game since the season resumed. I will say he didnt make as much a impact as he once did.

Hes played in 2 teams where they are always towards the lower end of the table.

Hes also not won anything over there. His one grand final ended in a loss.

Would I like to see him back? Yes. But I know he will be pieced back together every time saints play him.
    He's played in more than one final over there but has lost them . Think he's played in 2 or 3

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Not sure if he has alot left in the tank but he's still a tremendous leader and could have a big influence on our squad.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    He's played in more than one final over there but has lost them . Think he's played in 2 or 3
    Youre correct, 2 Finals.

Banned

I'd go a bit further & say SL is a second rate feeder comp and we've been dragged to poor standards by a pitifully low cap, tunnel vision, no planning, no direction & a distinct lack of ambition.

Can't disagree unfortunately but given the circumstances, I think we've done pretty well if we get this over the line. As pointed out, there's no one over here any better who's available, he gets the club and won't cost that much. As a short term fix I think it's a good signing.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I posted something similar on a different thread, but I did wonder if there would be a player/coaching job of some sort for him at the club...IF he's coming back!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

He clocked 170m and 147m in his last 2 games so whilst he may not be the same player he was, he's still got some big performances in him.

His leadership and never say die attitude would be worth it alone to help develop some of our younger players. A great player and I'd love to see him back on a short term 18 month deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

I am surprised that given how long he has been over there he is apparently looking to come back to England.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Might work well for us if he returns on a 12 month "swan song" contract, we just need to cut down the number of game minutes to help his energy levels. The biggest attribute will be his leadership to the younger players, the determination will still be there which will be infectious to the team as a whole. His passing plays running at the line is something we are in very short supply at the moment.

If we still had Thompson and LMS for next season then Graham wouldn't be a good option but its possible we are struggling for replacements, would be great for Graham to finish his career to were it started. On retirement I think he could possibly go back to OZ to start his next chapter.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    He clocked 170m and 147m in his last 2 games so whilst he may not be the same player he was, he's still got some big performances in him.

His leadership and never say die attitude would be worth it alone to help develop some of our younger players. A great player and I'd love to see him back on a short term 18 month deal.
    170m is great and so is 147. More than Tamou I think but probably plays longer minutes.

Another thing to note is it’s another display of intention and backing from McManus.

We’ve been one of the hardest hit clubs due to covid, we could have took that money from the Thompson transfer and banked it, but no we’re Saints one of the most successful and well known rugby league clubs world wide and we will do our absolute best to sustain that. We’ve signed Joel Thompson who has been Manly’s players player for the past two seasons and now we’re signing one of rugby league’s greatest ever forwards in both super league and the NRL.

I mean I’m saying all this and he could sign for Castleford

Banned

If he comes back it will really motivate Robes for 18 months and that in itself will drive the group. I think its a good move. By the way looking at the Roosters post lock down, we did very well.

No arguments on any of that.
    One thing about if we could sign him immediately. he would probably get a longer rest before the start of SL than he has had in recent years, especially after his enforced break in Oz.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 18th June 2020 at 09:31. Reason: added last point

In The South Stand

It’s interesting that his leadership is being cited as the reason we should sign him yet despite being a leader, Jon Wilkin was vilified for 4-5 years for his declining ability.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    It’s interesting that his leadership is being cited as the reason we should sign him yet despite being a leader, Jon Wilkin was vilified for 4-5 years for his declining ability.
    When was the last time Jon Wilkin clocked 140 or 170 metres? Graham was and is a better player than Wilkin by orders of magnitude.

Reacher makes a really good point above. I posted in the Thompson thread that the club had probably written off this season and we wouldn’t bother replacing Thompson until 2021. Whether this works out or not, it shows that we mean business (assuming it is us he’s coming to).

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    When was the last time Jon Wilkin clocked 140 or 170 metres? Graham was and is a better player than Wilkin by orders of magnitude.

Reacher makes a really good point above. I posted in the Thompson thread that the club had probably written off this season and we wouldn’t bother replacing Thompson until 2021. Whether this works out or not, it shows that we mean business (assuming it is us he’s coming to).
    When was the last time Wilkin played prop in the NRL?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Yeah, but Jammer's 2nd touch isn't a penalty.

Personally I never doubted Wilkin's ability when played in the correct position, but I did doubt his leadership. The number of times under KC when the opposition scored, and we were stood under our posts with JW looking at the ground used to annoy me. A leader would have been rallying his team. I thought he was a decent player but not a leader.