Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Thompson

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Not good, you feel all the club Chairmen are feeling it right now.

Wakefield have even more trouble to deal with...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...d-deal-2891995
    Who knew a derelict building cost so much...

Banned

Mr Hussain laughing all the way to the Leeds. Let's hope Wakey join the Bulls in the Championship. That mess will never sort itself out. 3 million for an outside bog.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    As you know S_C I've already had my say on RL fans yesterday

https://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=629241

For those of you who don't use RL fans.

Nicky Kiss posted
    "Losing Rushton would be a huge shame. He looks a terrific prospect. At only 18/19 he’s already a big lad but is athletic and a real dynamic runner of a ball. The prospects of starting to lose kids like Rushton and Havard worries me far more than losing established players. The club gets nothing out of these types of losses."

I replied
    "I agree. It's never bothered me losing players who have played five or more years in the 1st team if we get a decent fee for them, but we should be keeping the likes of Havard, Rushton and McDonnell."

I also mentioned.
    "It's happened before with Saints and Leeds. Saints lost Levy Nzoungou and Andre Savelio, Leeds with Mason Tonks and Jordan Baldwinson.
    None of them really made it over there which should be a warning to most young players."

Other posters picked up on this and mentioned Matty Russell, Keith Mason and Ian Sibbitt.
    I actually wasn't even having a pop, I don't like our young talent leaving the competition from any club, it literally was just a comment. I want our game to be as good as it can be, and losing homegrown talent is not the way for that to happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by volls_dad View Post
    I assume that this is what Oberon referred to

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/...-the-chairman/
    Thanks. It doesn't make pleasant reading, as much as I hate them I still want them around to hate. Strong Saints and Wigan teams are one of the few plus points to SL, it's one game that I really hate to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Mr Hussain laughing all the way to the Leeds. Let's hope Wakey join the Bulls in the Championship. That mess will never sort itself out. 3 million for an outside bog.
    Quite

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I actually wasn't even having a pop, I don't like our young talent leaving the competition from any club, it literally was just a comment. I want our game to be as good as it can be, and losing homegrown talent is not the way for that to happen.
    It was never meant that way, I just noticed that you and Yellow Giraffe were browsing the Wigan RL forum at the time I posted.

Banned

Other posters picked up on this and mentioned Matty Russell, Keith Mason and Ian Sibbitt.

If these youngsters are being mentioned in the same breath as greats like Keith Mason & Ian Sibbitt, then it really is a huge loss.

Got A Replica Shirt

Getting back to Joel. He’s an ex St G Ill player, so I followed his career closely before he went to Manly. He will give you 100% week in week out. Strong defender, not a skilled off loader, but effective runner. Strong as an ox. Hard to sum a player up so quickly, but you’ve got a good one there. Would take him over Tamou any day ��

Banned

It was never meant that way, I just noticed that you and Yellow Giraffe were browsing the Wigan RL forum at the time I posted.

You little snitch. Don't tell em your name Brian.

Stirring

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If these youngsters are being mentioned in the same breath as greats like Keith Mason & Ian Sibbitt, then it really is a huge loss.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Stirring
    Make everyone happy in these troubling times and stay on the goon forum you plank

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    Make everyone happy in these troubling times and stay on the goon forum you plank
    Sorry ralph meant for the goon

Got A Season Ticket

It's a bit ironic that a Wiganner is complaining about somebody buying up all their players - clearly forgotten the 90s

Sorry ralph meant for the goon

That's quite alright sir

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    It's a bit ironic that a Wiganner is complaining about somebody buying up all their players - clearly forgotten the 90s
    They nearly put Widnes down the same road as the dinosaurs

Banned

Rogues is the type of supporter shaped by the Lindsay era, the arrogance and posturing. The original Wigan fans are pretty good to be fair and could see the danger in a one team competition. The consequence is Pollard propping them up and like other posters have said its basically dead money. in my simple mind if you cant pay your mortgage and your Dad helps out its got a purpose and an end game return. If you cant pay your rent and Dad helps out its dead money to a buy to let entity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    They nearly put Widnes down the same road as the dinosaurs
    Widnes were the Icarus of the 80's.

Didn't Leeds also hit financial problems after trying to spend big to compete? Our money woes hit later, which isn't surprising given the big deals we made back then - remember Sculthorpe and the Securicor van? Pity we p*ssed so much dosh up the wall on players who dismally failed to live to the mega-hype before getting transfers a lot more right under Hughes & McRae.

Banned

Widnes were the Icarus of the 80's.

Didn't Leeds also hit financial problems after trying to spend big to compete? Our money woes hit later, which isn't surprising given the big deals we made back then - remember Sculthorpe and the Securicor van? Pity we p*ssed so much dosh up the wall on players who dismally failed to live to the mega-hype before getting transfers a lot more right under Hughes & McRae.
    I think it was Newlove who arrived in the van but we didn't half lash some money, you're right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think it was Newlove who arrived in the van but we didn't half lash some money, you're right about that.
    It was Newlove, your're correct.

Imagine trying to fit Sculthorpe, Cunningham, Long and Newlove under a salary cap now.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    It was Newlove, your're correct.

Imagine trying to fit Sculthorpe, Cunningham, Long and Newlove under a salary cap now.
    If I remember correctly, they also increased the admission price by a £1 after the Newlove signing.

Got A Season Ticket

The club became a lot more aggressive in the transfer market once David Howes arrived. Goulding, Perlini, Gibbs, Newlove, Hammond, Busby didn't come cheap
    I recall Ray French at the time of Newlove signing suggesting that Newlove was the type of world class player Wigan bought repeatedly from their rivals and Newlove coming to Saints might signify a club to really challenge Wigan

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by banburysaint View Post
    The club became a lot more aggressive in the transfer market once David Howes arrived. Goulding, Perlini, Gibbs, Newlove, Hammond, Busby didn't come cheap
    I recall Ray French at the time of Newlove signing suggesting that Newlove was the type of world class player Wigan bought repeatedly from their rivals and Newlove coming to Saints might signify a club to really challenge Wigan

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
    The Newlove signing was definitely a sea change. As I recall Wigan were after him as well, and for a long time the reality had been that when that was the case, Wigan was where the player ended up. He was the killer ingredient needed to turn us into a winning team, but his signing also sent out the signal that we weren't going to settle with being also-rans any more. A real turning point.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    The Newlove signing was definitely a sea change. As I recall Wigan were after him as well, and for a long time the reality had been that when that was the case, Wigan was where the player ended up. He was the killer ingredient needed to turn us into a winning team, but his signing also sent out the signal that we weren't going to settle with being also-rans any more. A real turning point.

The thing was, we'd always been there or thereabouts, finishing 2nd or 3rd in the League several times from the early 80's to mid-90's. It's good you mention Howes, because he brought a big leap in off-field professionalism and our recruitment became far more coherent and skilled. With Widnes and Leeds suffering financially after trying to match the piescum, once the SL came along (with its bigger TV revenues and full-time professionalism), the harder summer pitches that suited our style of play, and the piescum just beginning to diminish, we were in the right place at the right time to capitalise and become the best and most successful team in SL which, barring a few transitional lean seasons dotted here and there, and despite the emergence of the big bully-boys of Bratfud, we continued until our run of GF losses to those jammy Leeds tw*ts, followed by the stadium draining us of both focus and cash for a few years.