Jungle Out There Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 185

Thread: Joel Thompson

  1. #51
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,623
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    The signing is confirmed but no news re Zeb
    Sorry to be pedantic but the signing isn’t confirmed yet. He’s confirmed he’s leaving and coming over here but no word from Saints yet.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  2. #52
    Learning All The Songs Noel Cleal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,289
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    One for the teenagers..
    That is the problem, no obvious candidates who are "One of the teenagers". Foster and Wingfield are the only junior backrowers in the squad and neither have any games under there belts or race reviews.

    Outside of the existing starters in the back row. There is Bentley, if he re-signs, is soon going to be a starter.

    Ashworth you can argue is more a backrower than a prop, but we are reaching there.

    Batchelor doesn't look up to it, so that is kinda it.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

  3. #53
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Here's the official NRL websites story https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/15/...elens-in-2021/ Have always rated him myself ( I do watch a lot of NRL) - as usual it will all depend on how Saints use him, a similar player is Jackson at the Bulldogs - they both do a great job for their clubs but arent "back page stars"

  4. #54
    Starting A Programme Collection Mike Stephenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    731
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    Interesting signing. Zeb Taia is going to be really hard to replace for you guys. He is one of the best signings you have made in the past 20 years. An unsung hero who gets through a ton of work. Joel Thompson looks like he may be a stop gap for a better signing further down the line but with Super League in it's current climate a solid second rower isnt a bad signing on the face of it.
    It's not just the work that Taia does, it's his ability to offload the ball and he knows where the try line is too. Can Joel Thompson offer this? I'm not sure. He isn't Viliame Kikau and of course not a player that could be enticed over here at this stage in his career, but signing Thompson is another one of those which could go either way and Saints recent history at bringing players of this type over from the NRL, has been questionable and some haven't performed as expected- Joseph Paulo & Luke Douglas before him. Both well respected players in the NRL who came over here at the latter stages of their careers. Taia & Naiqama on the other hand, had both played over here before and done well (Taia was brilliant at Catalan especially) and so were almost certain to be good signings.

    For these reasons, I'd be interested to know if Saints inquired about Josh Jones's availability? Given the rumour that he is looking to leave Hull FC. He can offload the ball, scores tries and is a proven SL performer. Signing from within SL might cost a transfer fee yes, but weakens the opposition, leaving them to look elsewhere and take a chance on a signing from the NRL.

    Regards,

    STEVO

  5. #55
    In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,255
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    That is the problem, no obvious candidates who are "One of the teenagers". Foster and Wingfield are the only junior backrowers in the squad and neither have any games under there belts or race reviews.

    Outside of the existing starters in the back row. There is Bentley, if he re-signs, is soon going to be a starter.

    Ashworth you can argue is more a backrower than a prop, but we are reaching there.

    Batchelor doesn't look up to it, so that is kinda it.
    �� No sorry didn't mean that, 'one for the teenagers' was in response to a mention of eighties pop flash in the pan Sidney Youngblood.. Don't worry most people won't have even noticed or know who he is for that matter..

  6. #56
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Thankfully some of us are of an age to remember Sydney. Also those of us who still frequent Wilfs for your haircut, they are calling it a day.

  7. #57
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I remember Wilfs. Keith has just retired I read somewhere. On the corner of oxford street and cooper street in my day. Good chippy on cooper street too at the time

  8. #58
    In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,255
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Thankfully some of us are of an age to remember Sydney. Also those of us who still frequent Wilfs for your haircut, they are calling it a day.
    This could be the exposure Sydney needs to reignite his career.

  9. #59
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,623
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Just stumbled across an article on Joel Thompson which mentioned he has won Players Player of the Year at Manly in 2018 and 2019. He also captained the NRL indigenous side last year. We are signing someone very highly thought of over there it seems.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 16th June 2020 at 10:21.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  10. #60
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,623
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Interview with him here discussing his departure:

    https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/20...and-my-family/
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  11. #61
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    856
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    �� No sorry didn't mean that, 'one for the teenagers' was in response to a mention of eighties pop flash in the pan Sidney Youngblood.. Don't worry most people won't have even noticed or know who he is for that matter..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Thankfully some of us are of an age to remember Sydney. Also those of us who still frequent Wilfs for your haircut, they are calling it a day.
    Copped it and replied post 18 "if only he could." Well done Cyprus good play on words don`t think he had any more but charted the same time as Halo James also "he could have told us so."

  12. #62
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    For the past 2 seasons I have been thinking Zeb is past it, but he keeps proving me wrong. I can't remember the last SR we had that was as good as Zeb at putting his centre into space.
    Spend most of the game shouting for him to move inside as he stops a lot of ball getting wider to good centres and starves the wingers of early ball , been a plodder for last two seasons IMHO

  13. #63
    Got A Season Ticket JBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Haydock, St.Helens
    Posts
    166
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Just stumbled across an article on Josh Thompson which mentioned he has won Players Player of the Year at Manly in 2018 and 2019. He also captained the NRL indigenous side last year. We are signing someone very highly thought of over there it seems.
    Who? We signing Joel's brother too?
    Jordan "B**tard" Turner!

  14. #64
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,623
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    Who? We signing Joel's brother too?
    Haha I’ve had a shocker there. I’ll edit it now.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  15. #65
    Got A Season Ticket JBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Haydock, St.Helens
    Posts
    166
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Haha I’ve had a shocker there. I’ll edit it now.
    Put it down to Covid-brain.
    Jordan "B**tard" Turner!

  16. #66
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,071
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    It's not just the work that Taia does, it's his ability to offload the ball and he knows where the try line is too. Can Joel Thompson offer this? I'm not sure. He isn't Viliame Kikau and of course not a player that could be enticed over here at this stage in his career, but signing Thompson is another one of those which could go either way and Saints recent history at bringing players of this type over from the NRL, has been questionable and some haven't performed as expected- Joseph Paulo & Luke Douglas before him. Both well respected players in the NRL who came over here at the latter stages of their careers. Taia & Naiqama on the other hand, had both played over here before and done well (Taia was brilliant at Catalan especially) and so were almost certain to be good signings.

    For these reasons, I'd be interested to know if Saints inquired about Josh Jones's availability? Given the rumour that he is looking to leave Hull FC. He can offload the ball, scores tries and is a proven SL performer. Signing from within SL might cost a transfer fee yes, but weakens the opposition, leaving them to look elsewhere and take a chance on a signing from the NRL.

    Regards,

    STEVO
    Kevin Naiqama had never played over here before.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  17. #67
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,623
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Kevin Naiqama had never played over here before.
    Neither had Gidley, Fairleigh, Cayless, Britt,etc. who were all excellent for us. The truth is signing 30+ Aussies can be hit and miss and until he’s here nobody knows how it’s going to pan out. But from what I’ve seen of him and the more I read about him, the more confident I am that he’ll be a good signing for us.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  18. #68
    Starting A Programme Collection Mike Stephenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    731
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Kevin Naiqama had never played over here before.
    Well he did play for Fiji in the World Cup, but I'd confused him with his brother at London

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Neither had Gidley, Fairleigh, Cayless, Britt,etc. who were all excellent for us. The truth is signing 30+ Aussies can be hit and miss and until he’s here nobody knows how it’s going to pan out. But from what I’ve seen of him and the more I read about him, the more confident I am that he’ll be a good signing for us.
    That's what I'm getting at (and not just the one's in their 30's). If a player such as Jones was available, he would've been the one I'd have gone for, for the reasons I've outlined. Of course we don't know what the finances involved in any deal was though.

    Regards,

    STEVO
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 16th June 2020 at 13:49.

  19. #69
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,684
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Jones saying he wants out of Hull and Jones actually being available are two different things. Hull could very well decide they want him and not let him go,they could ask for a transfer fee. Also he has said in the press he is happy to stay at Hull and the rumours have come from left field and sources indicate the player was just as surprised to see the reports linking him away. We have signed a player that is actually available and talk of Jones is all if,maybe and possibly.

  20. #70
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,695
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Jones saying he wants out of Hull and Jones actually being available are two different things. Hull could very well decide they want him and not let him go,they could ask for a transfer fee. Also he has said in the press he is happy to stay at Hull and the rumours have come from left field and sources indicate the player was just as surprised to see the reports linking him away. We have signed a player that is actually available and talk of Jones is all if,maybe and possibly.
    Warrington think he's signed sealed and delivered to them along with McMeeken.

  21. #71
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,055
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Neither had Gidley, Fairleigh, Cayless, Britt,etc. who were all excellent for us. The truth is signing 30+ Aussies can be hit and miss and until he’s here nobody knows how it’s going to pan out. But from what I’ve seen of him and the more I read about him, the more confident I am that he’ll be a good signing for us.
    I’m struggling to think of too many 30+ year old forwards (at the time of signing), especially props, that have come over here to play for any Super League side in the past 5 years.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  22. #72
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,623
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’m struggling to think of too many 30+ year old forwards (at the time of signing), especially props, that have come over here to play for any Super League side in the past 5 years.
    Prior to Leeds this season off the top of my head.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  23. #73
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,055
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Prior to Leeds this season off the top of my head.
    Not seen enough of him, tbh.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  24. #74
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    God’s little acre
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Warrington think he's signed sealed and delivered to them along with McMeeken.
    Wish I could get my money to stretch as far as their salary cap seems to!!!!

  25. #75
    In The South Stand OoOGazOoO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lincs.
    Posts
    2,612
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Interview with him here discussing his departure:

    https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/20...and-my-family/
    Great video to be fair. Comes across as a genuinely good guy and someone who will thrive on the opportunity!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •