Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: James Bentley in Demand

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think he is very good running, if there is a gap. The difference between him and Gilmour (apart from a gulf in class) is that Gilmour was 6'2" Bentley is about 5'9". That 5 inches gives you a lot more prowess to hand off. However as a squad player I doubt we will get anyone better.
    Most SR's in SL couldn't lace Gilmour's boots.

In The South Stand

I think he is very good running, if there is a gap. The difference between him and Gilmour (apart from a gulf in class) is that Gilmour was 6'2" Bentley is about 5'9". That 5 inches gives you a lot more prowess to hand off. However as a squad player I doubt we will get anyone better.
    Players don’t have to be like for like. Tommy Martyn can’t have been that big in height in comparison to Leon Pryce, for example.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think you need two 13’s in the squad anyway. For a few years we had Wilkin and Knowles, last year it was either Knowles and Paulo or Knowles and someone else. I’d say coming on for Knowles at 13 would be his best position in the 17 at the minute.
    He could then take on Knowles role after he follows Thompson to Oz.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

According to Saints he’s 180cm which is 5’10ish, just off 5’11, there have been some good international forwards who’ve played at his height.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

According to Saints he’s 180cm which is 5’10ish, just off 5’11, there have been some good international forwards who’ve played at his height.
    Andy Platt was around that height and Barrie McDermott to. Neither took a backward step.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Andy Platt was around that height and Barrie McDermott to. Neither took a backward step.
    According to Wiki, and tihe the Bradford site at the time we were linked with him, he is 1.75 Mtrs Neither Andy Platt nor Barrie McDermot were running SR

In The South Stand

According to Wiki, and tihe the Bradford site at the time we were linked with him, he is 1.75 Mtrs Neither Andy Platt nor Barrie McDermot were running SR
    Platt started out as a second row

Platt started out as a second row
    Yeh but wasn't tall enough so moved to FR.

In The South Stand

Yeh but wasn't tall enough so moved to FR.
    I will agree with you that second rowers are usually taller,but you also get the likes of Gallen (earlier years ) Bird,Thaiday,Wilkin, L.Farrel who went on to be international and under 6ft. If the player is good enough then being 5ft10 doesn't matter.

Banned

I will agree with you that second rowers are usually taller,but you also get the likes of Gallen (earlier years ) Bird,Thaiday,Wilkin, L.Farrel who went on to be international and under 6ft. If the player is good enough then being 5ft10 doesn't matter.
    I agree, and the one thing he does have similar to most of the players you've mentioned is a bit of dog about him.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Kenny Bromwich was the first name I thought of, he’s not a particularly tall bloke in comparison to who he plays against. He’s played for NZ as well. Thaiday and Gallen are good examples given by Brook, they’re Bentley’s height if you base it on the height Saints have him at. Mark Minichello had a long career and played a lot of games as well at 5’10. Willie Manu and Wilkin at Saints both played internationally. They’re all a lot heavier though.

Bentley reminds me a little bit of Brandon Smith at Melbourne, tough, versatile and does a good job at 13 when he plays there. I think he could play 13 in that way. As Dave says, all the players mentioned were/are tough as anything, seriously skilful and were technically brilliant as well though. There’s different ways to play every position, just depends on what type of player you want.

Whether he’ll ever be good enough to start at a club like Saints, I’m not sure yet but I don’t think his height will be the main factor.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 2nd June 2020 at 23:36.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Apart from Wilkin who was really a 13 and Farrell who regularly gets comments on here about not being big enough, The others you mention and Bromwich (mentioned by Tez) are all at lest 2 inches taller and 10 kgs heavier than Bentley. I'm not having a downer on Bentley, I mentioned his size when he was compared to Lee Gilmour.

Although I have always thought him to small to be a regular starting SR. I mentioned that on here when we were signing him and haven't changed my opinion.
    I think he is a very useful squad player, one that I would have in the 17 every week. However I realise that others will have differing opinions and if I am proved wrong and he goes on to be anywhere near as good as Gilmour. I will be made up.

In The South Stand

Apart from Wilkin who was really a 13 and Farrell who regularly gets comments on here about not being big enough, The others you mention and Bromwich (mentioned by Tez) are all at lest 2 inches taller and 10 kgs heavier than Bentley. I'm not having a downer on Bentley, I mentioned his size when he was compared to Lee Gilmour.

Although I have always thought him to small to be a regular starting SR. I mentioned that on here when we were signing him and haven't changed my opinion.
    I think he is a very useful squad player, one that I would have in the 17 every week. However I realise that others will have differing opinions and if I am proved wrong and he goes on to be anywhere near as good as Gilmour. I will be made up.
    I think what we all agree on is he is a valuable player to have in the squad.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...mpression=true

Sounds like we've offered new deals to both Bentley and Ashworth but both are being tracked by other clubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Bentley should always be in the 17 , good enough without a doubt, would really like Ashworth to get more involved in the game , not quite sure but how old is Ashworth now ??.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

I think what we all agree on is he is a valuable player to have in the squad.
    We do agree on that. Probably our most versatile sub.

In The South Stand

Andy Platt started as a Centre.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Andy Platt started as a Centre.

HE really rose to prominence as a Knowles-type No13.

I wonder what kind of pies the scum gave him to bulk up so much that he transitioned to a stocky prop....?

In The South Stand

I nearly said money but I don't know how many calories that would be.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    HE really rose to prominence as a Knowles-type No13.

I wonder what kind of pies the scum gave him to bulk up so much that he transitioned to a stocky prop....?
    He is very similar to Andy Platt who I seem to remember Murphy playing him at prop against Widnes one New Year`s day, he had a blinder against that mighty Kiwi pack and for me it was his coming of age. Back in those days with contested scrums it was an advantage to have a smaller prop blindside so the hooker got a better look at the feed, the recently deceased Hugh Waddell, Sorenson, Boyd, Harvey Howard and as mentioned Barrie Mac were all but 6 foot.
    I think James has a big future if he keeps developing at this rate, keep him and bin Ashworth if it is a choice between them both.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Not quite sure but how old is Ashworth now ??.

Learning All The Songs

A lot of improvement to come. Must keep. Too many young players not given a proper chance.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

League express and total RL reporting Bentley has agreed a new deal at Saints. Both Cas and Hull KR were interested but he's decided to stay.

According to total RL, Ashworth has agreed to sign for Castleford next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    League express and total RL reporting Bentley has agreed a new deal at Saints. Both Cas and Hull KR were interested but he's decided to stay.

According to total RL, Ashworth has agreed to sign for Castleford next season.
    That being the case doesn’t sound like a bad outcome. Some may well be interested in Bentleys salary to decide if it’s a good deal or not but that aspect doesn’t worry me at all. There are people in place to manage the clubs cash, as a supporter I simply want the best team and I think we’ve got the best out of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    That being the case doesn’t sound like a bad outcome. Some may well be interested in Bentleys salary to decide if it’s a good deal or not but that aspect doesn’t worry me at all. There are people in place to manage the clubs cash, as a supporter I simply want the best team and I think we’ve got the best out of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really don't see it. Bentley has done nothing for us. He works hard and tackles okay, but he's always dominated by the better sides. I'm not sure this is a good signing and I'm definitely not sure we're getting one over on Cas here either. For me Ashworth has great potential, there are plenty of late bloomers and he has everything to be a very good player. Bentley doesn't, he'll never be an international quality player.

Neither transaction is going to make or ruin us I guess, both fringe players. How we replace Thompson and what we do with the remaining out of contract players is vital.