Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benny Barba

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    If he did come back id play him at 7 give fages the 9 shirt as this is probs robys last year
    You would say Fages is the player that would have to accommodate the move. He is a tidy player but isn't a match winner like Lomax or Coote.

Fages has said he wants to play at 6 or 7 but he may have to settle with 9. Coote to 6 is a good call as well.

1. Barba
    6. Coote
    7. Lomax
    9. Fages
    13. Knowles

Would work well. I very talented spine.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    You would say Fages is the player that would have to accommodate the move. He is a tidy player but isn't a match winner like Lomax or Coote.

Fages has said he wants to play at 6 or 7 but he may have to settle with 9. Coote to 6 is a good call as well.

1. Barba
    6. Coote
    7. Lomax
    9. Fages
    13. Knowles

Barbara who?

Only joking, I know what you mean. It's hypothetical anyway because I don't think we'll see Barbara play professional RL again. You raise a few interesting points though.

Coote to SO. Yes, I can definitely see that working, very clever player and would mitigate his lack of pace although we'd lose a bit with defensive work.

Lomax to SH. I can see that too, at this stage of his career I think he has the brains to move us around the pitch, would need to improve his short kicking game though.

Fages to HK. Absolutely. Tough little bugger, good hands and a good burst of pace. Also very useful if a back gets injured and has a kicking game. Smith/Eaves to spell him.

Of course none of that may happen but it gives us options certainly.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

1. Barba
    6. Coote
    7. Lomax
    9. Fages
    13. Knowles

That does look appealing I must admit..

1. Barba
    6. Coote
    7. Lomax
    9. Fages
    13. Knowles

No way on earth would I put Lomax at 7. He is not a scrum half

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Barbara who?

Only joking, I know what you mean. It's hypothetical anyway because I don't think we'll see Barbara play professional RL again. You raise a few interesting points though.

Coote to SO. Yes, I can definitely see that working, very clever player and would mitigate his lack of pace although we'd lose a bit with defensive work.

Lomax to SH. I can see that too, at this stage of his career I think he has the brains to move us around the pitch, would need to improve his short kicking game though.

Fages to HK. Absolutely. Tough little bugger, good hands and a good burst of pace. Also very useful if a back gets injured and has a kicking game. Smith/Eaves to spell him.

Of course none of that may happen but it gives us options certainly.
    I don't think he does Dave. He's a running 6 & playing him at 7 would stifle him completely.

I feel quite strongly about us needing a dominant 7 to be honest. A general

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I don't think he does Dave. He's a running 6 & playing him at 7 would stifle him completely.

I feel quite strongly about us needing a dominant 7 to be honest. A general
    I get what you're saying, I just see that intelligence to Lomax's game and I think he'd adapt but I also agree, ideally a dominant SH is what we need. I just get the feeling we're going to wait and see how Dodd comes on.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Imo Lomax is easily the best player at Saints and he could play 1,3,4,6 or 7 as good or better than anyone else in the squad.
    I’d build a team around him whatever position he wishes to play. He best position is the one that allows him to get his hands on the ball. That’s when Saints are most dangerous.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I get what you're saying, I just see that intelligence to Lomax's game and I think he'd adapt but I also agree, ideally a dominant SH is what we need. I just get the feeling we're going to wait and see how Dodd comes on.
    I get the feeling of Deja Vu making a show in a couple of seasons, Lomax will be coming to the end of his career in a couple of seasons and we might be in a Dodd/Welsby transition similar to the Lomax/Gaskell one if that does happen then we are looking at Fages for the No 9 spot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    Imo Lomax is easily the best player at Saints and he could play 1,3,4,6 or 7 as good or better than anyone else in the squad.
    I’d build a team around him whatever position he wishes to play. He best position is the one that allows him to get his hands on the ball. That’s when Saints are most dangerous.
    Hello Rubber. Nice to see your still active. The banjo playing must be improving with isolation. You are right about the ability of Lomax but for me he is a six. I think at one now you are very exposed to injury.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Hello Rubber. Nice to see your still active. The banjo playing must be improving with isolation. You are right about the ability of Lomax but for me he is a six. I think at one now you are very exposed to injury.
    There is no 6 or 7 in the older sense anymore,just left and right halfback.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I get the feeling of Deja Vu making a show in a couple of seasons, Lomax will be coming to the end of his career in a couple of seasons and we might be in a Dodd/Welsby transition similar to the Lomax/Gaskell one if that does happen then we are looking at Fages for the No 9 spot.
    Yes, I did think that myself too. I guess it's how it goes. I do maintain though that Welsby is a 6 and possibly a 13 later on but that's it. He's not a bloody Full Back, that's for certain.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don't think Coote has the pace for 6 and, I think coming in from the back and being able to find the gaps for himself and others is where he should stay. Lomax I think would be to boxed in at 7 particularly taking the ball at first receiver. Fages to 9 that wouldn't surprise me at all.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    There is no 6 or 7 in the older sense anymore,just left and right halfback.
    Tend to agree with this. The old days of Martyn and Long, or even Edwards and Gregory are long gone. An organiser at first receiver, who could kick and get the team around the park, and then a runner and a support player playing outside him. Now it's 6 on one side, 7 on the other, with similar roles and similar skill sets. One might be the designated kicker, but I see little difference in most teams. I think the fact that people think Lomax and Fages (for example) can play both proves the point. Imagine someone suggesting Tommy play at 7 back in the day, or Long at 6. When Lockyer and Thurston both started doing both roles for QLD and Australia everyone copied, and we are were we are now. But those two were all-time greats.

Default Benny Barba

1. Barba
    6. Coote
    7. Lomax
    9. Fages
    13. Knowles

This could conceivably work but you’re talking about reshuffling the entire spine of the team in order to accommodate a player who is wildly inconsistent and also a ticking time bomb. Not worthwhile IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Tend to agree with this. The old days of Martyn and Long, or even Edwards and Gregory are long gone. An organiser at first receiver, who could kick and get the team around the park, and then a runner and a support player playing outside him. Now it's 6 on one side, 7 on the other, with similar roles and similar skill sets. One might be the designated kicker, but I see little difference in most teams. I think the fact that people think Lomax and Fages (for example) can play both proves the point. Imagine someone suggesting Tommy play at 7 back in the day, or Long at 6. When Lockyer and Thurston both started doing both roles for QLD and Australia everyone copied, and we are were we are now. But those two were all-time greats.
    Martyn and Long did swap positions didn't they? Or have a just dreamed that?

In The South Stand

Martyn and Long did swap positions didn't they? Or have a just dreamed that?
    Martyn was always a 6. Long played 6 a few times at first as he had been a stand off,sometimes with Goulding ( probably the last old style 7 we has ) as 7. I think it was a case of Martyn being to good to shift from 6 and Long being shifted to 7 when we got rid of Bobby.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I'm sure Martyn played scrum half quite a bit or was named at scrum half but maybe your traditional scrum half changed by then.. Its a bit anorak but the Saints heritage site would tell you if you could be arsed going through, I might do if I get time I'm a bit weird like that..

In The South Stand

Anyone who cares to watch the games when Martyn and Long were the half backs will see that most of the games Martyn was putting the ball in the scrum.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Anyone who cares to watch the games when Martyn and Long were the half backs will see that most of the games Martyn was putting the ball in the scrum.
    That's probably what got me thinking and most likely down to Long being much quicker and more elusive.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

We have only had 2 "out and out" scrum halves in the 24 years of us being in Superleague.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We have only had 2 "out and out" scrum halves in the 24 years of us being in Superleague.
    Goulding and Walsh?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

That's probably what got me thinking and most likely down to Long being much quicker and more elusive.
    Yes it depends on the players ability, Alex Murphy is rated as one of the best scrum halves of all time but, because of his pace he played a lot of games for Saints in the No 6 jersey with Wilf Smith as No 7.

Quite often when a young half back comes into the game if they have pace and a good side step they start out as running stand off, then when the knees and the hamstrings start to go they have develop ball playing skills and become more like a traditional scrum half regardless of which number they are wearing.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

The role of 6 and 7 has diminished into left channel halfback and right channel halfback.
    Some of the stand off type role void being filled by fullback loose forward and even backrow forwards. The game positions with squad numbers isn’t so black and white anymore.

Banned

Yes, I did think that myself too. I guess it's how it goes. I do maintain though that Welsby is a 6 and possibly a 13 later on but that's it. He's not a bloody Full Back, that's for certain.
    Or a centre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    The role of 6 and 7 has diminished into left channel halfback and right channel halfback.
    Some of the stand off type role void being filled by fullback loose forward and even backrow forwards. The game positions with squad numbers isn’t so black and white anymore.
    Your teeth look like a burnt fence.