Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benny Barba

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It's a case of Barba being unable to resist temptation - and Ainsley knew the temptations back in Aus would be huge, not least with his extended family all wanting him to be a party animal (and pay for them to go on benders with him). That's bad enough, but as we've seen he's an absolute prick when he's drunk.

Over here, his social circle revolved around the club and all the senior pros at Saints were/are well-grounded and pretty mature (notwithstanding LMS, in the nicest possible way!) so there wasn't that opening to go out and get hammered with a group that doesn't have your best interests at heart.

A massive pity for the guy and his career, and more so for Ainsley and the kids.
    I think this was exactly the case and I think it was clear at the time Barba would have benefitted from staying.
    He did drop off I reckon it was a combination of his Nan passing, injury and having his head turned by NRL and family. I do blame JH for 2018 also there was a game at Catalan when Lomax produced a full back masterclass and we won with Fages/Richardson at HB, we should have carried on with that and benched Barba and made him prove himself again after dealing with any issues also JH made a mistake by not rotating the squad during 2018 which he did rectify in 2019.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    A lack of commitment when your Grandmother has died? How dare he? How dare a man whose twenty-four plus hours from home be less focused or committed when there’s games against Huddersfield Giants and Hull Kingston Rovers to think of? He should have been burnt at the stake.

He was clearly injured. It wasn’t an excuse.
    It wasn't just 2 games though was it?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I think this was exactly the case and I think it was clear at the time Barba would have benefitted from staying.
    He did drop off I reckon it was a combination of his Nan passing, injury and having his head turned by NRL and family. I do blame JH for 2018 also there was a game at Catalan when Lomax produced a full back masterclass and we won with Fages/Richardson at HB, we should have carried on with that and benched Barba and made him prove himself again after dealing with any issues also JH made a mistake by not rotating the squad during 2018 which he did rectify in 2019.
    Holbrook showed his weakness of being indecisive when he couldn't work out his best half back partnership and left Fages on the sidelines in the previous season. When Barba's mindset went AWOL for a number of reasons Holbrook didn't handle it very well which put a lot of pressure on Richardson and we ended up with just the one pivot in Lomax, his indecision to address it just snuffed out the business end of the season. Barba should have been dropped for 3 games to try and change his mindset.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    It wasn't just 2 games though was it?
    You’ve lost me.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

A lack of commitment when your Grandmother has died? How dare he? How dare a man whose twenty-four plus hours from home be less focused or committed when there’s games against Huddersfield Giants and Hull Kingston Rovers to think of? He should have been burnt at the stake.

He was clearly injured. It wasn’t an excuse.
    How long was he in mourning, half a season?

Banned

You’ve lost me.
    He was off his game in a big way for half a season.

Got A Season Ticket Haydock Saint's Avatar

Would n't have him back.

Did not perform for Saints when his head was turned to go back to Oz. Saints rescued his career, and whilst I respect his decision to return home, he did not respect the club for this in the way his exit went.

Banned

Default Benny Barba

I’m not overly interested in his excuses to be honest. He let us down. Simple as that.

Towards the end, it’s common knowledge that he was more interested in going back to Oz and getting banjoed with his family every weekend than putting a shift in for us. Which, was poor after we gave him a route back into RL.

I hope he sorts himself out and manages to have a decent life but he’s wasted his rugby talent and he has no one else to blame but himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    I’m not overly interested in his excuses to be honest. He let us down. Simple as that.

Towards the end, it’s common knowledge that he was more interested in going back to Oz and getting banjoed with his family every weekend than putting a shift in for us. Which, was poor after we gave him a route back into RL.

I hope he sorts himself out and manages to have a decent life but he’s wasted his rugby talent and he has no one else to blame but himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    How long was he in mourning, half a season?
    For whatever reasons, he wasn't interested from July onwards. Good game at Wire pre play offs besides, his head was elsewhere.

Naturally gifted maybe, skilful maybe but I'd take Coote 100 times over 100 over him.

Again, correct.

Magnificent to watch when he was on song, clearly a level above but we had trophies to win & his loss of form, focus, injury whatever was a huge part of why it went awry.

By the time that play off semi came against Warrington, out attack had disintegrated.

Coote rocks up for 2019 (after a pretty sour exit from a club he had served so well) & does the business week after week bar 1 game at Wembley. Consistent, professional, solid. In today's game, he's the more valuable player for a team whatever way you look at it.

Starting A Programme Collection Harri81's Avatar

The guy has some demons, and its hard for anyone to judge unless you have a full insight into his life, feelings, and events that arent in the public eye. He has a lot of demons, but he is an exceptional talent.

Id have him back at saints in a heart beat, sean Long had big demons and was off the rails before he was at saints (as per his autobiography), the guy needs clear rules, support and support for his family.

None of us can say that if our careers were the source of much discussion, and being offered a lot more money than youre currently being paid to go hone we wouldnt be tempted, or your head not in it.

His injury phase was clear but when youre a big name signing with so much expectation then there is pressure to keep playing, or coming back too soon so many players have done it.

Saints fans need to learn not to be so bitter when players leave, a playing career is short and players need to look out for their best financial interests, a career can end at any point.
    Saints until i Die!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harri81 View Post
    The guy has some demons, and its hard for anyone to judge unless you have a full insight into his life, feelings, and events that arent in the public eye. He has a lot of demons, but he is an exceptional talent.

Id have him back at saints in a heart beat, sean Long had big demons and was off the rails before he was at saints (as per his autobiography), the guy needs clear rules, support and support for his family.

None of us can say that if our careers were the source of much discussion, and being offered a lot more money than youre currently being paid to go hone we wouldnt be tempted, or your head not in it.

His injury phase was clear but when youre a big name signing with so much expectation then there is pressure to keep playing, or coming back too soon so many players have done it.

Saints fans need to learn not to be so bitter when players leave, a playing career is short and players need to look out for their best financial interests, a career can end at any point.
    As did his when he messed up yet again.

Certainly no bitterness here, us ending up with Coote worked out well.

I do remember Warrington saying that there were aspects of Barba's character that they weren't happy with. Looked like a dummy spit at the time but as it played out, they weren't far off.

I support Saints, not Ben Barba. He bailed & lost interest. But don't get me wrong, a truly exceptional player when on song. One of the best I've seen.

Banned

No one is bitter about him leaving, they're bitter about the way he conducted himself once it became apparent he was leaving, especially considering we paid him for 12 weeks while he was banned. I can't believe that needs explaining to be honest.

Default Benny Barba

I wouldn’t take him back, and it’s got nothing to do with bitterness. Look at it pragmatically: he’s 30 years old and has had some unbelievable peaks in form - a season for the Bulldogs, a season for Cronulla and half a season for us - but the rest of the time he’s been either rubbish or creating a scandal (or both). If he did come over it would be cheaper than last time but still an outlay, and would be expensive for the club in PR terms considering what he’s been up to since he left us (and that’s before you even consider the morality of it). Add to that the fact that we have a full back who is a model of professionalism and consistency, and it’s just not worth it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

[QUOTE=Ralph Fridge;791773]For whatever reasons, he wasn't interested from July onwards. Good game at Wire pre play offs besides, his head was elsewhere.

Naturally gifted maybe, skilful maybe but I'd take Coote 100 times over 100 over him.[/QUOTE]

The difference between a prima donna and a team player.

Learning All The Songs

I think it could be more a case of his grandmother's death acting as a catalyst for a downward spiral which he never seemed to halt.

Phenomenal player on his day, wonderful to watch and (whilst here) well loved even though towards the end he’d lost a spark.

However.....

[QUOTE=Belgian Saint;791793]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    For whatever reasons, he wasn't interested from July onwards. Good game at Wire pre play offs besides, his head was elsewhere.

Naturally gifted maybe, skilful maybe but I'd take Coote 100 times over 100 over him.[/QUOTE]

The difference between a prima donna and a team player.

Also the difference between a LLS and Man of Steel season, and a LLS and Grand Final season.....

As you say, TEAM!

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I think it could be more a case of his grandmother's death acting as a catalyst for a downward spiral which he never seemed to halt.
    I’m sure there’s some truth in this but why not say at the time? Seems a little bit of retrospective sympathy-gathering, glossing over the non-performance at the latter end of his stint here.

I would imagine that IF he ever got his “licence back” Saints would be his preferred destination...... no one in the NRL would touch him. We shouldn’t either.......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

[QUOTE=RJM25R;791812]Phenomenal player on his day, wonderful to watch and (whilst here) well loved even though towards the end he’d lost a spark.

However.....

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post

Also the difference between a LLS and Man of Steel season, and a LLS and Grand Final season.....

As you say, TEAM!

I’m sure there’s some truth in this but why not say at the time? Seems a little bit of retrospective sympathy-gathering, glossing over the non-performance at the latter end of his stint here.

I would imagine that IF he ever got his “licence back” Saints would be his preferred destination...... no one in the NRL would touch him. We shouldn’t either.......

If he ever was able to play again then he would be the wrong side of 30,not played at a high level for a few years and also still has issues,sounds like a Warrington signing to me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Fair enough, if we then decide to ignore all the other stuff that happened before he even arrived in St Helens.

Canterbury standing him down years ago, and Cronulla sacking him certainly indicate a pattern of behaviour that didn’t begin in St Helens in 2018.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Fair enough, if we then decide to ignore all the other stuff that happened before he even arrived in St Helens.

Canterbury standing him down years ago, and Cronulla sacking him certainly indicate a pattern of behaviour that didn’t begin in St Helens in 2018.

AND Where would he play for us? Coote is our fullback we need to prioritise Forwards more next year

Barba was a fantastic player for us. I wouldn't take back signing him for a moment. It did fall apart near the end but that is the problem with players like Barba.

Coote makes us a better team but he also fell apart in the second half of 2019, like Barba did in 2018. I think this proves fans more have an issue with Barba leaving than his form.

If he wants to play rugby then I wouldn't have an issue with him signing a lower money deal and we can find a place to put him.

I agree that we do need to sign forwards but if an opportunity comes about to sign a great player we should take it.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Barba was a fantastic player for us. I wouldn't take back signing him for a moment. It did fall apart near the end but that is the problem with players like Barba.

Coote makes us a better team but he also fell apart in the second half of 2019, like Barba did in 2018. I think this proves fans more have an issue with Barba leaving than his form.

If he wants to play rugby then I wouldn't have an issue with him signing a lower money deal and we can find a place to put him.

I agree that we do need to sign forwards but if an opportunity comes about to sign a great player we should take it.
    Coote had a bit of a dip in form in the CC final agreed but this was after a long lay off. He was absolutely superb in the Grand Final and was unlucky not to get Man of the Match. Far more consistency with him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

If he did come back id play him at 7 give fages the 9 shirt as this is probs robys last year

Regardless of if we signed Barba I think Coote would be a very accomplished stand off. His role isn’t far away from that now