Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benny Barba

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Default Benny Barba

A real class interview featuring Barba (1hr 45 minutes long) is on Facebook. He goes through his full career, ups, downs, Saints etc.

I’ve never had a bad thing to say about Barba whilst he was at Saints, such as when he wasn’t playing at his phenomenal best and a select few fans were on his back saying he didn’t care. As expected the interview gives a real insight to him as a person, his struggles with mental health, the media and pressures.

He was also asked if he’d ever consider a return to Saints if it came about..

If you search ‘TI talks footy’ on Facebook it’s on there, it was live on Facebook and a good few Saints fans were tuned in.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Fool us once ,shame on you.
    Fool us twice ,shame on us.
    Would never want him back.

Not the most articulate, was hoping for something more insightful - though he did reveal the reason he left.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    Not the most articulate, was hoping for something more insightful - though he did reveal the reason he left.
    What was the reason? I'm not on Facebook

Got A Season Ticket

Pity things turned out the way they did. Such a talent when on song but, obviously had lots of problems resulting in very poor play. He wouldn't fit in now even if he wanted to come back. Too much of a risk.

Banned

Last edited by Angry Dave; 1st June 2020 at 08:26.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    •••• him, I would rather snog my mam than that little wretch come back. He could have been a great but he chose otherwise.
    And if you click on the link you’ll know why

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saint-spoiler View Post
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 1st June 2020 at 08:26.

Banned

You're right, just listened to it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

There’s a summary of the Saints part of the interview here

https://everythingrugbyleague.com/ba...ding-incident/
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

I am certainly not going to judge him for the way that he has handled difficult and emotional situations. In similar situations, I've hardly covered myself in glory either.

I'm sure a fairly big carrot was dangled by NQ & that distracted him further. Again, fair enough.

But assaulting your partner & the mother of your children is pretty low. Cowardly behaviour, no matter what else is going on in your life. I wouldn't have him back at Saints & we've ended up with a great pro in Coote.

Got A Season Ticket

When you watch that Saints highlights real he was some player - but what a waste of exceptional talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Seems like an excuse to be honest, I wonder how common it is for abusers to justify their actions with something like that.

Was he mourning his Grandmother by throwing rocks at his partner?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Seems like an excuse to be honest, I wonder how common it is for abusers to justify their actions with something like that.

Was he mourning his Grandmother by throwing rocks at his partner?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I don't think anyone is trying to excuse that, he's clearly got his problems.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Split personality, in hindsight it would have been better if was on a short contract with us similar to Meninga, once the NFL got back inside his head the other personality surfaced. He was a model professional off the pitch when he was here with us and the rumours were that his partner wanted him to stay longer because it had a calming influence on him here in the UK.

I often wonder what Holbrook tried to do to get Barba back on track in the second half of that season? He persisted with playing him when we could all see his head wasn’t in it and in the end it backfired on us. It’s easy to be wise after the event and in Holbrook’s next season we were the strongest we’ve been for years but this is one question that makes you think.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I often wonder what Holbrook tried to do to get Barba back on track in the second half of that season? He persisted with playing him when we could all see his head wasn’t in it and in the end it backfired on us. It’s easy to be wise after the event and in Holbrook’s next season we were the strongest we’ve been for years but this is one question that makes you think.
    Tough one for Holbrook I guess, he was a bit damned if he did and damned if he didn't in relation to dropping him. As you say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

He would have been a brave man putting Lomax at full back and Richardson with Fages for those last games.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyarchie View Post
    When you watch that Saints highlights real he was some player - but what a waste of exceptional talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah pretty much this for me as well mate.

Some of his performances during the early part of the season were as good as I’ve seen in Super League, he was untouchable. He was involved in 50 odd tries which speaks for itself I guess.

I don’t think we helped him out as much as we maybe could have done in terms of how we played. IMO we were too predictable towards the end of the year in attack and he was getting belted man and ball regularly. Defensively he was never brilliant.

Players with less talent have had better and longer careers which is a shame.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Split personality, in hindsight it would have been better if was on a short contract with us similar to Meninga, once the NFL got back inside his head the other personality surfaced. He was a model professional off the pitch when he was here with us and the rumours were that his partner wanted him to stay longer because it had a calming influence on him here in the UK.

It's a case of Barba being unable to resist temptation - and Ainsley knew the temptations back in Aus would be huge, not least with his extended family all wanting him to be a party animal (and pay for them to go on benders with him). That's bad enough, but as we've seen he's an absolute prick when he's drunk.

Over here, his social circle revolved around the club and all the senior pros at Saints were/are well-grounded and pretty mature (notwithstanding LMS, in the nicest possible way!) so there wasn't that opening to go out and get hammered with a group that doesn't have your best interests at heart.

A massive pity for the guy and his career, and more so for Ainsley and the kids.

In The South Stand

Holbrook gets the flak for the back end of 2018 from me. Barba was clearly injured, he come off early in one game (Wakefield?) at home and was clearly carrying a knock going into that game, aggravating it further in that match. We then pushed him through a further 160 minutes ahead of the Challenge Cup Semi. Why? He missed two games (Widnes and Wigan) and played in, what was, a dead rubber against Warrington the week before the Semi at Bolton, in which Holbrook even acknowledged at half time that Barba was carrying a knock and he didn’t change things, even with Fages, Richardson and Lomax in the seventeen that day. The lack of rotation killed us in 2018 and thankfully Holbrook learnt that going into 2019.

For the rest of his time with us Barba looked knackered, probably physically, with his injury, and mentally, with a move back to Australia to ponder over and the death of his Nan and him being 24 hours from his family at that time.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Holbrook gets the flak for the back end of 2018 from me. Barba was clearly injured, he come off early in one game (Wakefield?) at home and was clearly carrying a knock going into that game, aggravating it further in that match. We then pushed him through a further 160 minutes ahead of the Challenge Cup Semi. Why? He missed two games (Widnes and Wigan) and played in, what was, a dead rubber against Warrington the week before the Semi at Bolton, in which Holbrook even acknowledged at half time that Barba was carrying a knock and he didn’t change things, even with Fages, Richardson and Lomax in the seventeen that day. The lack of rotation killed us in 2018 and thankfully Holbrook learnt that going into 2019.

For the rest of his time with us Barba looked knackered, probably physically, with his injury, and mentally, with a move back to Australia to ponder over and the death of his Nan and him being 24 hours from his family at that time.
    I don't think many will blame Holbrook for Barba showing a complete lack of commitment. I actually thought that Holbrook was taking the pressure of him saying he was injured.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It's a case of Barba being unable to resist temptation - and Ainsley knew the temptations back in Aus would be huge, not least with his extended family all wanting him to be a party animal (and pay for them to go on benders with him). That's bad enough, but as we've seen he's an absolute prick when he's drunk.

Over here, his social circle revolved around the club and all the senior pros at Saints were/are well-grounded and pretty mature (notwithstanding LMS, in the nicest possible way!) so there wasn't that opening to go out and get hammered with a group that doesn't have your best interests at heart.

A massive pity for the guy and his career, and more so for Ainsley and the kids.
    I was told from someone within the club that this was the case.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't think many will blame Holbrook for Barba showing a complete lack of commitment. I actually thought that Holbrook was taking the pressure of him saying he was injured.
    A lack of commitment when your Grandmother has died? How dare he? How dare a man whose twenty-four plus hours from home be less focused or committed when there’s games against Huddersfield Giants and Hull Kingston Rovers to think of? He should have been burnt at the stake.

He was clearly injured. It wasn’t an excuse.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club