Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashwoorth”S Future

Default Ashwoorth”S Future

There was a piece in the press that Ashworth is out of contract at the end of the season and the target for Cas among others.

It went on to consider what could be a major set of changes to the pack.

Although this is very standard agents practice when their client is negotiating a contract I think the pack will be very different in 2021

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
    There was a piece in the press that Ashworth is out of contract at the end of the season and the target for Cas among others.

It went on to consider what could be a major set of changes to the pack.

Although this is very standard agents practice when their client is negotiating a contract I think the pack will be very different in 2021
    Couldnt care less if Ashworth leaves, has shown up to be moderate and generally anonymous in the big games. What matters is who replaces those who leave. Very hard to predict what thr current situation means recruitment wise.

Learning All The Songs

He's not kicked on as we all thought he may do - when he first came through under Holbrook he looked devastating and his offload game looked interesting too. Since then he has gone backwards, and is behind a younger player at Prop (Lees) and I would rather give the game-time to Bentley in the 2nd Row.

Wouldn't be sorry to see him go. Those rumours a few weeks ago hasn't helped his case either.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Couldnt care less if Ashworth leaves, has shown up to be moderate and generally anonymous in the big games. What matters is who replaces those who leave. Very hard to predict what thr current situation means recruitment wise.
    I'm one of the very few pro-Ashworth people on here it seems. Just seems like madness to let a player like him go. He won't be commanding a top salary but he's got the size and power to make an outstanding player. There have been plenty of times where he's been brilliant. He's not a stats man, but at times last season when he came on with Lees the two were like wrecking balls and a big part of the overall pack unit with Al and Thommo not giving teams a chance.

Releasing any of the out of contract players is a big, big risk IMO. There is absolutely no guarantees we'll get anyone with any quality. We could end up with two or three Tommy Lee types on two year deals. The names we've been linked with to replace Thommo are also worrying. We could end up with Jammer on a big deal, but losing Taia, Peyroux, Ashworth, Amor and LMS. Who are the options for the other spots? We need signings to at least maintain the quality in the side and I just don't see where they're coming from. Name me a player we could realistically sign who is better than Taia, LMS or Peyroux? Name me a prop who is going to be as reliable and low maintenance as Kyle Amor? A 13/extra big man type better than LMS? If we end up with Bentley and Batchelor in the backrow we might as well not bother.

They've left themselves far too big a job to rebuild the pack and keep us competitive. The only sensible option is to persuade LMS, Peyroux and Ashworth to stay and replace the other two. Robes isn't going to stay forever either, he'll retire at the end of this or next season depending on how he's feeling IMO and again there's no realistic replacement for him at the club.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    The names we've been linked with to replace Thommo are also worrying. We could end up with Jammer on a big deal, but losing Taia, Peyroux, Ashworth, Amor and LMS. Who are the options for the other spots?
    We've only been linked with Tamou as the replacment for Thompson so far and Thompson is the only player that has been confirmed leaving yet. The rest is pure speculation. Tamou would be a good replacement given the circumstances and it's worth watching Penrith on Sunday to see how he does.

We've got alot of out of contract players so there is bound to be lots of speculation after a season of little movement in and out last year. Until we know the full picture of who is definitely coming in and who is leaving it's difficult to judge whether we'll be stronger or not.

Unfortunately for us with Thompson leaving it'll be difficult to find an equal replacement. Not only is he a player on the rise, and arguably the best prop in SL, he's also a St Helens lad who loves playing for the club. I think Saints know they have a very tough job replacing him. After that we have quite a few players reaching the end of their careers and the squad will need a bit of a rebuild on the pack over the next couple of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    We've only been linked with Tamou as the replacment for Thompson so far and Thompson is the only player that has been confirmed leaving yet. The rest is pure speculation. Tamou would be a good replacement given the circumstances and it's worth watching Penrith on Sunday to see how he does.

We've got alot of out of contract players so there is bound to be lots of speculation after a season of little movement in and out last year. Until we know the full picture of who is definitely coming in and who is leaving it's difficult to judge whether we'll be stronger or not.

Unfortunately for us with Thompson leaving it'll be difficult to find an equal replacement. Not only is he a player on the rise, and arguably the best prop in SL, he's also a St Helens lad who loves playing for the club. I think Saints know they have a very tough job replacing him. After that we have quite a few players reaching the end of their careers and the squad will need a bit of a rebuild on the pack over the next couple of years.
    There are reports coming out of Australia that Canterbury are keen to bring Luke Thompson over there now- https://www.zerotackle.com/bulldogs-...in-2020-55410/

Saints need to stay strong and rebuff any requests, even if there's money involved. Because without Thompson, it's difficult to see Saints challenging for the silverware this year.

On Ashworth, I also think he's worth persevering with for another year at least.

Regards,

STEVO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    There are reports coming out of Australia that Canterbury are keen to bring Luke Thompson over there now- https://www.zerotackle.com/bulldogs-...in-2020-55410/

Saints need to stay strong and rebuff any requests, even if there's money involved. Because without Thompson, it's difficult to see Saints challenging for the silverware this year.

On Ashworth, I also think he's worth persevering with for another year at least.

Regards,

STEVO
    Even with a decent transfer fee I can’t see that happening

Banned

I'm one of the very few pro-Ashworth people on here it seems. Just seems like madness to let a player like him go. He won't be commanding a top salary but he's got the size and power to make an outstanding player. There have been plenty of times where he's been brilliant. He's not a stats man, but at times last season when he came on with Lees the two were like wrecking balls and a big part of the overall pack unit with Al and Thommo not giving teams a chance.

Releasing any of the out of contract players is a big, big risk IMO. There is absolutely no guarantees we'll get anyone with any quality. We could end up with two or three Tommy Lee types on two year deals. The names we've been linked with to replace Thommo are also worrying. We could end up with Jammer on a big deal, but losing Taia, Peyroux, Ashworth, Amor and LMS. Who are the options for the other spots? We need signings to at least maintain the quality in the side and I just don't see where they're coming from. Name me a player we could realistically sign who is better than Taia, LMS or Peyroux? Name me a prop who is going to be as reliable and low maintenance as Kyle Amor? A 13/extra big man type better than LMS? If we end up with Bentley and Batchelor in the backrow we might as well not bother.

They've left themselves far too big a job to rebuild the pack and keep us competitive. The only sensible option is to persuade LMS, Peyroux and Ashworth to stay and replace the other two. Robes isn't going to stay forever either, he'll retire at the end of this or next season depending on how he's feeling IMO and again there's no realistic replacement for him at the club.
    You make some good points but I disagree with what you say about him being brilliant plenty of times, he's had a few very good games but plenty of very average ones. He does have size and power but doesn't seem to be able to use either consistently. I think someone needs to get a grip and say either, you're and impact prop, embrace that. You're a prop I want to do big minutes, get yourself right for that or you're a SR, lose some weight and work on your ball skills. Personally, I'm losing patience with him, he's not a bloody kid anymore.

I do agree, we've left ourselves too big a job for next season and I don't see where players are coming from. I'd like us to keep LMS, Peyroux and Amor. Taia is probably done hence why I've called for McMeekan. Roby, not a clue, how do you replace him?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Even with a decent transfer fee I can’t see that happening
    Yeah but if our season goes until January, I doubt he'll be sticking around

Banned

. Who are the options for the other spots? We need signings to at least maintain the quality in the side and I just don't see where they're coming from. Name me a player we could realistically sign who is better than Taia, LMS or Peyroux? Name me a prop who is going to be as reliable and low maintenance as Kyle Amor? there's no realistic replacement for him at the club.
    Id say thats an indictment on the state of the game in SL more than anything. AD mentioned McMeeken who is OOC (I think) at the season end. Generally the jam is spread thinly where talent is concerned at the moment which makes me less concerned.

Got A Season Ticket Billinge Bren's Avatar

It bugs me that players like Ashworth who are big and fast and have talent are shoehorned into playing prop because they are big. He's lightning for a big lad off the mark. Watch him in warm ups. Wide running second row would be his best position. Reminds me of Tony P. Devastating at 2nd row. Perfunctory at prop.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Doesn't have that mental toughness, I can probably count on one hand the amount of great performances he has produced over the last 3 seasons, if he had the mental determination of Matty Lees he would become a great player and I,m not confident that Woolf can improve Jack.

For me we should be giving Joe Batchelor a chance and that's not the odd game we should allow him to have a run of 3 or 4 games in place of Ashworth. Scoring 38 tries from 48 appearances albeit with York does have some value.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 1st June 2020 at 14:09.

Default Ashwoorth”S Future

Quote Originally Posted by Billinge Bren View Post
    It bugs me that players like Ashworth who are big and fast and have talent are shoehorned into playing prop because they are big. He's lightning for a big lad off the mark. Watch him in warm ups. Wide running second row would be his best position. Reminds me of Tony P. Devastating at 2nd row. Perfunctory at prop.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Yet I’d say he’s had his best performances for us in the front row. Towards the end of 2018 he was outstanding there.

I think his problem isn’t his position but his mentality. He looks angry and hard to handle in one game, and then completely passive for the next three, a bit like Greenwood. I suspect this is why, despite his physical size and athleticism, he’s reached his mid-20s without playing that many games.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Athletically he’s brilliant, big, fast, good footwork. I just think he needs to read the game better and show a bit more desire at times to do the basic things over and over again. Defensively he’s not great and as Dux says, he’s a bit too passive at times.

I know he made his debut playing at centre and he played a few games in the back row as well. Maybe part of the problem is that he was switched to prop a bit late and missed out on a few years learning the technicalities of playing in the front row. Going from centre/second row to playing prop every week is a big change for anyone.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    For me we should be giving Joe Batchelor a chance and that's not the odd game we should allow him to have a run of 3 or 4 games in place of Ashworth. Scoring 38 tries from 48 appearances albeit with York does have some value.
    He's done nothing in the chances he's had so far with us to suggest he's pushing for a spot. Players like that should be loaned out so they're getting game time now the reserves have been abolished again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Athletically he’s brilliant, big, fast, good footwork. I just think he needs to read the game better and show a bit more desire at times to do the basic things over and over again. Defensively he’s not great and as Dux says, he’s a bit too passive at times.

I know he made his debut playing at centre and he played a few games in the back row as well. Maybe part of the problem is that he was switched to prop a bit late and missed out on a few years learning the technicalities of playing in the front row. Going from centre/second row to playing prop every week is a big change for anyone.
    Wasn't the reason he was shifted to Prop that it was an easier position to play and would ease him into the first team or am I dreaming that?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He's done nothing in the chances he's had so far with us to suggest he's pushing for a spot. Players like that should be loaned out so they're getting game time now the reserves have been abolished again.
    Thats because he's just been used as a "filler" would like to see him get at least 3 consecutive games to get a better idea of his capability. But it looks as though that won't happen until we get an injury crisis in the pack.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thats because he's just been used as a "filler" would like to see him get at least 3 consecutive games to get a better idea of his capability. But it looks as though that won't happen until we get an injury crisis in the pack.
    I know what you mean but there's been no reason for him to play. Maybe we'll see him if we're playing twice a week when we get going again.

If the reports of Ashworths off field actions are anywhere near the truth then that is enough to see him leave the club. I was happy with his on field performances, he was improving year on year.

But if he can't behave himself then the club is correct to move him on.

Regarding Thompson and an early release, this year is feeling like a bit of a write off. It depends what we can get instead of him.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    If the reports of Ashworths off field actions are anywhere near the truth then that is enough to see him leave the club. I was happy with his on field performances, he was improving year on year.

But if he can't behave himself then the club is correct to move him on.

Regarding Thompson and an early release, this year is feeling like a bit of a write off. It depends what we can get instead of him.
    Reading today that several clubs are interested in Ashworth and Bentley, one of the main ones is Castleford, how are they in for everyone who comes available surely it's about time they got a new ground all the bull crap that clubs went through years ago to get a SuperLeague franchise seems to have flown out of the window. Knowsley Rd was far better than Weldon Rd and Belle Vue yet Saints were marked down for the facilities but Cas and Wakey haven't changed since Pontius was a Pilot.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The South Stand

If Ashworth goes to Castleford I would think he will be playing second row .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Reading today that several clubs are interested in Ashworth and Bentley, one of the main ones is Castleford, how are they in for everyone who comes available surely it's about time they got a new ground all the bull crap that clubs went through years ago to get a SuperLeague franchise seems to have flown out of the window. Knowsley Rd was far better than Weldon Rd and Belle Vue yet Saints were marked down for the facilities but Cas and Wakey haven't changed since Pontius was a Pilot.
    You are spot on again pal. I would love to see us Wire and Wigan fans do a mass stay away from those two grounds. This crap has gone on long enough. They are even paying transfer fees but have disgusting disabled facilities and disgusting bogs. They haven't even got a proper seated stand between them.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    You are spot on again pal. I would love to see us Wire and Wigan fans do a mass stay away from those two grounds. This crap has gone on long enough. They are even paying transfer fees but have disgusting disabled facilities and disgusting bogs. They haven't even got a proper seated stand between them.
    No, no no.
    Every club needs our support at this time. If all fans took that "we're not going there attitude" the whole game suffers.
    Saints v Cas at home has been some of your best attendances over the last few years, more than Saints v Leeds and in some cases Saints v Wire.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    No, no no.
    Every club needs our support at this time. If all fans took that "we're not going there attitude" the whole game suffers.
    Saints v Cas at home has been some of your best attendances over the last few years, more than Saints v Leeds and in some cases Saints v Wire.
    The Yorkshire clubs voted for Ecky Thump's plan to reduce the salary cap yet Cas are seemingly in a position to be after anyone who becomes available. I know this season is a one off and I am on about the last 24 years.Clubs were marked on ground conditions and facilities but it appears that although every other club did their bit Cas and Wakey are still playing in in 50's conditions.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.