Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

On Total RL today that Reserves to be scrapped for next year due to costs, and the fact that all SL clubs will have a shortfall of 266k from Sky. Is this 266k from a new deal that has been agreed, is it money Sky are deducting for this break in the season? It seems a very specific amount to publish without some substance.
    To start Reserves again I suppose they will need to get past Hetherington.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    On Total RL today that Reserves to be scrapped for next year due to costs, and the fact that all SL clubs will have a shortfall of 266k from Sky. Is this 266k from a new deal that has been agreed, is it money Sky are deducting for this break in the season? It seems a very specific amount to publish without some substance.
    To start Reserves again I suppose they will need to get past Hetherington.
    Hetherington doesn’t want a reserve team attached to a club. Hetherington wants to use all the local lower league clubs as farm clubs for his club. This stops any of those clubs building their own fan base ensuring that Leeds are the only major club in West Yorkshire. Remember he ensured Bradford went bust by pursuing punitive damages over Iestyn Harris. So short slighted, remember when Wigan could have been relegated due to the Fielden cap breaches we voted to in effect keep them up, since we understand that sport needs rivals.

And yet we still get this claptrap spouted by Yorkies about the “rugby league family”.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Remember he ensured Bradford went bust by pursuing punitive damages over Iestyn Harris. So short slighted, remember when Wigan could have been relegated due to the Fielden cap breaches we voted to in effect keep them up, since we understand that sport needs rivals.

And yet we still get this claptrap spouted by Yorkies about the “rugby league family”.
    Honestly, you're obsessed.
    The £300k settlement Bradford paid for Harris in 2005 did not cause Bradford to go bust in 2012.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of '99 View Post
    Yes, sorry I get that and agree. I just mean generally I don't think there's a (tax) profitable business which is having its profits lowered for tax reasons. I think a good year is EBITDA break even, but the stadium is unlikely to ever be paid for through the club's income streams.

As for which clubs will struggle, well they'll all struggle if their backers won't reach into their pockets.

Saints - will be fine, the board have shown they have the stomach to inject eye watering amounts already. Like most of the big club owners they won't be happy about it no doubt, but they're not going to let the club go bust over this.
    Wigan - They're difficult - exactly how rich is Lenagan? For some reason I get the impression that dropping £1m every year in to prop them up is less appealing for him than for someone like Davy or Moran - as in, he probably doesn't think he should need to be doing this at the once biggest club in the game.
    Wire - Moran will see them through if needed.
    Leeds - A tricky one as this probably couldn't have happened at a worst time, just as business at the new stadium ramped up. Caddick isn't used to putting money in (in fact he generally takes money out) but, on paper, he's the richest man involved in UK Rugby League so no doubt they'll be OK.
    Huddersfield - what's another few £100k or £m from the owner on top of what he's already put in?
    Toronto - see Huddersfield

Catalan - should be ok, although their financing structure is a little opaque.

After that we have a bunch of clubs where there are owners who put a bit in, but not a lot, relatively, - or who aren't in a position to put anything in and try and run the business to be genuinely profitable. This, I'd imagine, is the list of ones where we might need to be worried.

Cas
    Wakey
    Hull
    Salford
    Hull KR

Salford
    All clubs to face £280,000 hit as a result of a new deal with Sky, hence no surprise in salary cap decrease discussion, the richer clubs might just about be able to take it but the likes of Salford etc are going to struggle even more, together with the fact that Season Ticket sales for next year are hardly going to be on the top of the shopping list. It looks like worrying times are ahead

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    All clubs to face £280,000 hit as a result of a new deal with Sky, hence no surprise in salary cap decrease discussion, the richer clubs might just about be able to take it but the likes of Salford etc are going to struggle even more, together with the fact that Season Ticket sales for next year are hardly going to be on the top of the shopping list. It looks like worrying times are ahead

I know this is stating the bleeding obvious, but clubs don't have to spend the full Cap.

As an aside, if clubs do vote to cut the overall Cap, then there must be better dispensations for clubs bringing players through their own Academies. We have semi-parasitic clubs (like Wakefield) who bring next to feck-all to the sport other than lingering around like a stale fart, ferreting about for the right combination of journeymen players to lift them to the heights of mid-table mediocrity whilst dismal crowds slum it in an even more dismal dump of a stadium. Clubs that do bring an abundance of players through the ranks - Saints, piescum and Leeds especially - are unable to pay their local players enough to keep them from the clutches of the NRL and yawnion (although the threat from the latter has diminished)

And now there's a high profile police investigation into murky business dealings over the ground's former owner, the sale of which - at a suspiciously high price - was funded by a taxpayer-funded council loan.

Got A Replica Shirt

A couple more club updates on finances.

Wakefield - interesting report from Michael Carter of how his club has navigated the shutdown. He says they are eligible to apply for a loan of £390k but isn't sure they want to.
    The financial predicament of running a Super League club in 2020

Leeds - they've already confirmed they will be applying for some of the RFL loan but expect to lose £4m over this season and next.
    Leeds Coronavius Update

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Wakefield - interesting report from Michael Carter of how his club has navigated the shutdown. He says they are eligible to apply for a loan of £390k but isn't sure they want to.

Leeds - they've already confirmed they will be applying for some of the RFL loan but expect to lose £4m over this season and next.
    Leeds Coronavius Update
    That doesn't make pleasant reading at all.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Leeds Coronavius Update
    Interesting stuff regarding season tickets in both articles. Perhaps not surprisingly, Wakefield are hoping that fans will not be claiming refunds or expecting deferrals to 2021. I'm not sure what the fans will think of that, but Carter is suggesting that the club could go bust under either scenario.
    Leeds is a little more positive with talk of 'membership' options for the 'seasons' ahead (note the plural there).
    The idea of season tickets for 3-4 years, like we did when we moved to Widnes, is something that we touched on in an earlier thread. It could be a way forward for clubs to ensure a decent cash-flow, with perhaps some sort of 'upgrade' for the fans, if they trade in their 2020 tickets?

Banned

Typical Carter, other clubs can apply for more. Yes you cheap shot other clubs invest more. Do the right thing and drop to the Championship. One or two clubs may not survive, if it's Wakey led by Carter rather that than Wigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Typical Carter, other clubs can apply for more. Yes you cheap shot other clubs invest more. Do the right thing and drop to the Championship. One or two clubs may not survive, if it's Wakey led by Carter rather that than Wigan.
    What is the base for how much each club can apply for. is projected closs of revenue predicted costs over this period etc? I have seen nothing about differing amounts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    What is the base for how much each club can apply for. is projected closs of revenue predicted costs over this period etc? I have seen nothing about differing amounts.
    I was offered 25% of last years turnover from the bank as a bounce back loan. I don't know if it's the same for RL but would think there would be a similar stipulation.

Honestly, you're obsessed.
    The £300k settlement Bradford paid for Harris in 2005 did not cause Bradford to go bust in 2012.
    They never recovered from it. It was the start of the downward spiral

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I was offered 25% of last years turnover from the bank as a bounce back loan. I don't know if it's the same for RL but would think there would be a similar stipulation.
    That might not be far off. That would give Wakey a turnover of between 1.5 and 1.6 m. I think Saints is 7 or 8m.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    They never recovered from it. It was the start of the downward spiral
    After they agreed the transfer fee for Harris they won another Super League title and another world club title before five years of averageness and poor crowds took them to the brink. I think you are trying to misattribute a cause to an effect.

Bradford got into trouble at the same time as a few other clubs, IIRC, and the thing all of those clubs had in common was a winding up order from HMRC. I think the thing that did it wasn’t the Harris scenario but the fact that a tax loophole which allowed clubs to pay players ‘image rights’ was closed. I suspect that Bradford were using this loophole more than anyone else.

EDIT: a couple of articles from around the time:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...shore-payments

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ss-premiership
    Last edited by Dux; 25th June 2020 at 09:57.

Banned

Caisley, remember him? Teflon.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Caisley, remember him? Teflon.
    I remember getting hold of his phone number

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Just think all this because of shite eaten by the Chinese.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

[QUOTE=Greengrass;793011]Just think all this because of shite eaten by the Chinese.[/QUOT

That’s your problem Greengrass you are so old fashioned. Our friends from Wigan have ate babies yead and pea wet for years and it’s done Wane no harm. A bit of bat soup compared to that seems quite civilised or at least eighteenth century

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Bats, they are a protected species just like some Yorkshire clubs, they help spread rabies and viruses, damage their living surroundings by shi@@ing on the floor not to mention producing pale skinned, fanged toothed, widow peaked out of fashion night crawlers................
    Bats can be dangerous as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tallaght tiger View Post
    bats, they are a protected species just like some yorkshire clubs, they help spread rabies and viruses, damage their living surroundings by shi@@ing on the floor not to mention producing pale skinned, fanged toothed, widow peaked out of fashion night crawlers................
    Bats can be dangerous as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Ah yes, some of my pet delicacies including my favourite, 3 squeaks which I was invited to eat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Bradford got into trouble at the same time as a few other clubs, IIRC, and the thing all of those clubs had in common was a winding up order from HMRC. I think the thing that did it wasn’t the Harris scenario but the fact that a tax loophole which allowed clubs to pay players ‘image rights’ was closed. I suspect that Bradford were using this loophole more than anyone else.

EDIT: a couple of articles from around the time:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...shore-payments

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ss-premiership

Don't forget that although Bratfud were getting big crowds, their receipts were ridiculously small because most tickets were heavily discounted or free. It's a laudable tactic to whip up interest, but Bratfud kept it going for so long that when they tried to ease it back to bring revenue levels up, crowds began to diminish - especially as the on-field product had begun to decline.

Keighley began all the razzmatazz to make going the game more of an event and their crowds surged. Don't know how accurate this is, but the accusation is that once they were denied rightful promotion to the inaugural Super League, Caisley copied the blueprint for Bratfud and was able to offer SL rugby. A lot of Bratfud marketing and discounted/free tickets were targeted at areas where Keighley had been active in generating interest and fans.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Adam Pearson wants the government money released immediately.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...an-now-2894895

Banned

[QUOTE=Webbo Again;793019]Don't forget that although Bratfud were getting big crowds, their receipts were ridiculously small because most tickets were heavily discounted or free. It's a laudable tactic to whip up interest, but Bratfud kept it going for so long that when they tried to ease it back to bring revenue levels up, crowds began to diminish - especially as the on-field product had begun to decline.

Keighley began all the razzmatazz to make going the game more of an event and their crowds surged. Don't know how accurate this is, but the accusation is that once they were denied rightful promotion to the inaugural Super League, Caisley copied the blueprint for Bratfud and was able to offer SL rugby. A lot of Bratfud marketing and discounted/free tickets were targeted at areas where Keighley had been active in generating interest and fans.[/QUOTE

You pretty much nail it. They started and Leeds have continued a process of infiltrating the small town clubs offering season tickets cheaper than the local club and free kids shirts. Caisley made Lindsay seem decent, him and double glazed Gary “what a pair”