Jungle Out There Banner
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 220

Thread: Salary Cap

  1. #51
    Got A Season Ticket palmorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Haydock
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Inglis

    Bloody predictive text

  2. #52
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,694
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by palmorr View Post
    Inglis

    Bloody predictive text
    He's definitely signed. The club and Inglis himself have announced it.

  3. #53
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,329
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    It seems a case of the teams advocating a reduction in the Salary Cap are doing it to try and reduce the gap between the top teams and the bottom, and therefore increase competitiveness, except all that is going to do in the long run is decrease the quality in the game, better players will leave the game to get fair compensation for their talents and clubs will not be able to recruit similar quality players to replace them.

    All a reduction in salary cap is going to do is exacerbate the talent drain away from the game, reduce the quality, therefore reduce the standard of the product on show, causing a reduction in viewing figures and therefore a reduction in money coming in to the game, it is an incredibly short sighted, narrow minded idea, its that bad its almost like it has been suggested by someone who wants the game to fail.

    I personally would go the other way, work to increase the cap available, we need to try and create the best product possible, and you dont do that through losing your better players, all that does is breed mediocrity, a better product makes it easier to sell to broadcasters and the fans.
    No shit sherlock.

  4. #54
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    373
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    No shit sherlock.
    Well then, it just needs translating so the Yorkies can read it and sending to Hetherington...

  5. #55
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,329
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Well then, it just needs translating so the Yorkies can read it and sending to Hetherington...
    Sorry mate, no offence intended. I'm not sure Hetherington or many other Yorkies can read.

  6. #56
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,677
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    The facts is the salary cap is too high.

    All clubs are pretty much making a loss.

    Sky cover the salary cap.
    Fans pay £25+ per game , top $ for polyester shirts.
    Businesses pay the going rate for rubber chicken dinners.

    Clubs are poorly run and/or paying too much for players against their income.

    I think at this time more than any other people and clubs needs to realise that the
    make believe economic world of sport needs a dose of reality.

    RL should be heading back to part time and to me that is no bad thing.
    The fantasy is that money on players equals Broadway box office, in fact it delivers
    Nandos warriors and a sterile product. The waste of moneyon players should also not be ignored.
    £000Ks dud players and early releases.

    The world has changed , we will all be paying for the several months of sabbatical
    for everyone , and to support the NHS and public services.

    Yet we need to up the salary cap of 12 clubs who are not going concerns
    but want to throw imaginary money at players conditioned to deliver mediocrity.

    People need to wake up.

    If RL was the council any other business, then there would be an upraor as to the money going in against
    the value returned.
    You know what, this is an excellent post.

    I'd not be upset to see the sport going back to semi pro. Less NRL clubs sniffing around then & surely more of an emphasis on the skill set rather than "getting massif in t'gym & bashin' um."

    The issue is now that we are trying to run a professional RL in the UK on pretty low wages & better options of the same sport elsewhere. In it's current guide, the player drain will go on & we will be left playing the dumbed down NRL style that is endemic across super league
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  7. #57
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,329
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You know what, this is an excellent post.

    I'd not be upset to see the sport going back to semi pro. Less NRL clubs sniffing around then & surely more of an emphasis on the skill set rather than "getting massif in t'gym & bashin' um."

    The issue is now that we are trying to run a professional RL in the UK on pretty low wages & better options of the same sport elsewhere. In it's current guide, the player drain will go on & we will be left playing the dumbed down NRL style that is endemic across super league
    Made me laugh that bit.

    I see your point but isn't that the idea of sport that it's enjoyable as a spectacle, along with the competition and winning? And as such you pay for the best, some clubs have more money than others, that's just a fact but to further reduce what we can spend will only see more players leaving for the NRL and union, and I would take a guess at less players coming through the system. A few years back, I was working alongside a ex SL player, he wasn't a star but had a decent career and we were talking one afternoon about the game in general, young lads coming through, salaries and whatever and he said to me that if he knew at 20 what he'd be earning at 35 as a safety rep and playing for Barrow, he'd have probably gone back to playing amateur and concentrated on his career.

  8. #58
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,682
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You know what, this is an excellent post.

    I'd not be upset to see the sport going back to semi pro. Less NRL clubs sniffing around then & surely more of an emphasis on the skill set rather than "getting massif in t'gym & bashin' um."

    The issue is now that we are trying to run a professional RL in the UK on pretty low wages & better options of the same sport elsewhere. In it's current guide, the player drain will go on & we will be left playing the dumbed down NRL style that is endemic across super league
    If you think there would be less nrl clubs sniffing around clubs if they went semi pro then I think you are wrong. They would be looking to pick up the best players even more than they do now. They could pick them up relatively cheaply and offer them the full time pro lifestyle. The international game would be more of a joke than it is now,we would be on par with png. Going semi pro would in my opinion be a disaster

  9. #59
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,791
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    The facts is the salary cap is too high.

    All clubs are pretty much making a loss.

    Sky cover the salary cap.
    Fans pay £25+ per game , top $ for polyester shirts.
    Businesses pay the going rate for rubber chicken dinners.

    Clubs are poorly run and/or paying too much for players against their income.

    I think at this time more than any other people and clubs needs to realise that the
    make believe economic world of sport needs a dose of reality.

    RL should be heading back to part time and to me that is no bad thing.
    The fantasy is that money on players equals Broadway box office, in fact it delivers
    Nandos warriors and a sterile product. The waste of moneyon players should also not be ignored.
    £000Ks dud players and early releases.

    The world has changed , we will all be paying for the several months of sabbatical
    for everyone , and to support the NHS and public services.

    Yet we need to up the salary cap of 12 clubs who are not going concerns
    but want to throw imaginary money at players conditioned to deliver mediocrity.

    People need to wake up.

    If RL was the council any other business, then there would be an upraor as to the money going in against
    the value returned.
    I'm sorry, but just no.

    If the game goes back to part time or semi pro, the talent drain will just flood further to the NRL or Union and Rugby League over here will just fall to a level of insignificance. It's a completely different landscape now to 30 years ago, sport has moved on massively since then and all big sports are professional now, no exceptions.

    The game needs to grow not shrink. It needs investment and ambition across the board. The cap had increased by 300k in 20 years which is well under inflation. Lowering the cap would be a massive step back for the game here and would give players more incentives to go to Union or the NRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  10. #60
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,677
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    If you think there would be less nrl clubs sniffing around clubs if they went semi pro then I think you are wrong. They would be looking to pick up the best players even more than they do now. They could pick them up relatively cheaply and offer them the full time pro lifestyle. The international game would be more of a joke than it is now,we would be on par with png. Going semi pro would in my opinion be a disaster
    I'm not sure they would but you're probably right and I'm probably wrong.

    With my initial post, I've gone too heavy on the player drain & not highlighted how I think GM had it right about the finances.

    We keep going on about growing the sport but we don't seem to be able to do it. There are clearly financial constraints on the sport in this country & I think GM is trying to make a point that with the current financial constraints, the sport would be better as semi pro from SL down to Championship & League 1.

    I honestly think what he's saying makes sense. I'm not saying it has to be that way but I'm saying that it's more of a realistic scenario than fans might want it to be.

    The professional game as it stands isn't ran very well & certain clubs are determined to keep the standards & salary cap to a level in which they can compete & not get left in the dust by the more innovative, ambitious clubs such as Wire, Saints & Wigan. Not exactly pulling in the same direction is it?
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  11. #61
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,677
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Made me laugh that bit.

    I see your point but isn't that the idea of sport that it's enjoyable as a spectacle, along with the competition and winning? And as such you pay for the best, some clubs have more money than others, that's just a fact but to further reduce what we can spend will only see more players leaving for the NRL and union, and I would take a guess at less players coming through the system. A few years back, I was working alongside a ex SL player, he wasn't a star but had a decent career and we were talking one afternoon about the game in general, young lads coming through, salaries and whatever and he said to me that if he knew at 20 what he'd be earning at 35 as a safety rep and playing for Barrow, he'd have probably gone back to playing amateur and concentrated on his career.
    Dave, I completely see your point & Blobby's further down. No arguement whatsoever & I've said earlier in the thread that it's competitive sport, if you get left behind, tough. No arguments there from me.

    I'm just trying to highlight that GM's point as somewhat of a counter argument is also valid.

    We are constantly battling with the likes of Wakey & Hudds who dig their heels in at any sign of initiative or that they might have to invest a bit. So part of me is thinking, you know what let's be done with it & go back to semi pro. We would still achieve more than those clubs anyway & there might be less emphasis on fitness, fitness, fitness, bench pressing, rowing as fast as you can in a minute & actually having to have a bit of nous to open up a defence.
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  12. #62
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,682
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I'm not sure they would but you're probably right and I'm probably wrong.

    With my initial post, I've gone too heavy on the player drain & not highlighted how I think GM had it right about the finances.

    We keep going on about growing the sport but we don't seem to be able to do it. There are clearly financial constraints on the sport in this country & I think GM is trying to make a point that with the current financial constraints, the sport would be better as semi pro from SL down to Championship & League 1.

    I honestly think what he's saying makes sense. I'm not saying it has to be that way but I'm saying that it's more of a realistic scenario than fans might want it to be.

    The professional game as it stands isn't ran very well & certain clubs are determined to keep the standards & salary cap to a level in which they can compete & not get left in the dust by the more innovative, ambitious clubs such as Wire, Saints & Wigan. Not exactly pulling in the same direction is it?
    It's an interesting topic for sure,but the way i see it is if nrl clubs are prepared to try the likes of Jordan Turner,Andre Savelio and the likes then a competition of part time players becomes even more attractive to them. Just for arguments sake lets say a semi pro player has a 20k real job and gets 20k for playing (obviously this will vary with career and club ). The NRL and also RU can then offer the top players 20k more per year and to them they can get the best players over here for what to them is peanuts.The NRL has a minimum wage of $100k that works out right now at near enough 54k. They would just cherry pick the best players and also the best up and coming players.

    We have a new sky deal ( or other broadcaster ) to negotiate,we should be looking to slightly raise the cap if anything and make some more exemptions for club produced players,i can't see the game going back to semi pro and if it did then every team would have to do it otherwise we could have the situation of 3 or 4 clubs being full time and dominating everything.

  13. #63
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,677
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It's an interesting topic for sure,but the way i see it is if nrl clubs are prepared to try the likes of Jordan Turner,Andre Savelio and the likes then a competition of part time players becomes even more attractive to them. Just for arguments sake lets say a semi pro player has a 20k real job and gets 20k for playing (obviously this will vary with career and club ). The NRL and also RU can then offer the top players 20k more per year and to them they can get the best players over here for what to them is peanuts.The NRL has a minimum wage of $100k that works out right now at near enough 54k. They would just cherry pick the best players and also the best up and coming players.

    We have a new sky deal ( or other broadcaster ) to negotiate,we should be looking to slightly raise the cap if anything and make some more exemptions for club produced players,i can't see the game going back to semi pro and if it did then every team would have to do it otherwise we could have the situation of 3 or 4 clubs being full time and dominating everything.
    Yeah brook I think you've got me there to be honest. An Englush player who they take on who doesn't work out is no great loss to them as they have the money & the talent coming through. I get you.

    I'm honestly that frustrated with the sport that I've started arguing with myself
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  14. #64
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,329
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It's an interesting topic for sure,but the way i see it is if nrl clubs are prepared to try the likes of Jordan Turner,Andre Savelio and the likes then a competition of part time players becomes even more attractive to them. Just for arguments sake lets say a semi pro player has a 20k real job and gets 20k for playing (obviously this will vary with career and club ). The NRL and also RU can then offer the top players 20k more per year and to them they can get the best players over here for what to them is peanuts.The NRL has a minimum wage of $100k that works out right now at near enough 54k. They would just cherry pick the best players and also the best up and coming players.

    We have a new sky deal ( or other broadcaster ) to negotiate,we should be looking to slightly raise the cap if anything and make some more exemptions for club produced players,i can't see the game going back to semi pro and if it did then every team would have to do it otherwise we could have the situation of 3 or 4 clubs being full time and dominating everything.
    Just like now then? There's only 3 current clubs won the SL and only 3 others ever reached the final. It's the same with other sports, football always has it's usual suspects it's just a natural order that some teams are stronger, and richer than others. It es me off that we get leaned on by these tight fisted Yorkie nuggets intent on dragging everyone down because they're unable to step up.

  15. #65
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,682
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Just like now then? There's only 3 current clubs won the SL and only 3 others ever reached the final. It's the same with other sports, football always has it's usual suspects it's just a natural order that some teams are stronger, and richer than others. It ••••es me off that we get leaned on by these tight fisted Yorkie nuggets intent on dragging everyone down because they're unable to step up.
    I agree,from trying to lower the cap to messing about with reserve teams,to not having fit for purpose stadiums despite other teams having to upgrade their own.

  16. #66
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,427
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You know what, this is an excellent post.

    I'd not be upset to see the sport going back to semi pro. Less NRL clubs sniffing around then & surely more of an emphasis on the skill set rather than "getting massif in t'gym & bashin' um."

    The issue is now that we are trying to run a professional RL in the UK on pretty low wages & better options of the same sport elsewhere. In it's current guide, the player drain will go on & we will be left playing the dumbed down NRL style that is endemic across super league
    I’m not sure mate, I think skill levels would reduce. For players’ safety more than anything, every club would have to do it which would mean players training 3 nights a week maximum and the majority of them would be knackered after working a physical job 8-10 hours a day beforehand. You can’t trust players to do their own conditioning so that would need to be incorporated into training as well, I think they’d end up doing a lot less skill work than they do now.

    I don’t know exactly what a semi pro Super League comp would look like but having done it in Union for a few years now, it’s a tough gig and given SL has been professional, it would be even more difficult. You’ve obviously got to do weights, position specific extras etc in your own time and I think a lot of players who’ve been in a professional environment for so long would see it as more trouble than it’s worth and would pack the game in.

    I don’t think it would ever happen because of the practicalities though, I don’t think you can just take people’s employment away from them like that on that scale. Not every player will have something to fall back on in terms of a career, you’ve got the mental health risk on the back of that, I just don’t think it could ever happen.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  17. #67
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,294
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Personally I'm not overly bothered about a supposed 'brain drain' of talent to Australia because it's already happening. Some decide to stay, but alot now go to the NRL, and it's just the norm now. If we ended up with an England team made up of young local players and loads of NRL players it would be annoying but I don't see how it would make us less competitive to be honest.

    We are slowly becoming the RL version of South American football. We have old famous clubs that have standing in the game, and we produce some really good players. Alot of the best players disappear when they get to a certain age, and it becomes the accepted norm because financially there is simply no competition. But South American leagues are still alot of fun, and have big crowds and big rivalries that are the envy of the world. They also have national teams that are some of the best in the world, primarily because most of the team play at the highest level in Europe. We may end up like that, where we simply learn to love what the game is here but accept that our best players will spend their better days abroad, but possibly resulting in us winning some major international comps.

  18. #68
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    373
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I’m not sure mate, I think skill levels would reduce. For players’ safety more than anything, every club would have to do it which would mean players training 3 nights a week maximum and the majority of them would be knackered after working a physical job 8-10 hours a day beforehand. You can’t trust players to do their own conditioning so that would need to be incorporated into training as well, I think they’d end up doing a lot less skill work than they do now.

    I don’t know exactly what a semi pro Super League comp would look like but having done it in Union for a few years now, it’s a tough gig and given SL has been professional, it would be even more difficult. You’ve obviously got to do weights, position specific extras etc in your own time and I think a lot of players who’ve been in a professional environment for so long would see it as more trouble than it’s worth and would pack the game in.

    I don’t think it would ever happen because of the practicalities though, I don’t think you can just take people’s employment away from them like that on that scale. Not every player will have something to fall back on in terms of a career, you’ve got the mental health risk on the back of that, I just don’t think it could ever happen.
    Great post, i think if you want to look at what Super League would look like if it went semi-professional you dont have to look much further than the Championship, the vast majority of which is semi-professional, it may have a bit more money at quality to it though. The standard of the game would fall through the floor as players would be less likely to stay around the game before trying to get a career, going semi-professional would send the sport in to a death spiral that would be almost impossible to get out of.

  19. #69
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Hethringtons arse is going because Leeds RL have made a decent stadium for the home fans and it needs paying for. Like he normally does he has got the outside bog brigade behind him.

    He didn't give a stuff about caps when they beat us five times on the trot when we had one eye or more on Langtree. The man is a poison who will eat into the sport for his and his wife's agendas. Lucky people those two and don't worry Nige is still lurking to bring Bradfort back in SL.

  20. #70
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Hethringtons arse is going because Leeds RL have made a decent stadium for the home fans and it needs paying for. Like he normally does he has got the outside bog brigade behind him.

    He didn't give a stuff about caps when they beat us five times on the trot when we had one eye or more on Langtree. The man is a poison who will eat into the sport for his and his wife's agendas. Lucky people those two and don't worry Nige is still lurking to bring Bradfort back in SL.
    Breaking news......according to Aaron Bower, Salary Cap unchanged for this year as a result of intervention from the Players Union and backtrack from Yorkshire Clubs but likely to be reviewed next year, presumably when clubs look at the financial implications after this season

  21. #71
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,791
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    The SL clubs have unanimously agreed to NOT reduce the salary cap next season. It will remain at 2.1m next season.

    https://superleague.co.uk/article/14...%7C-salary-cap
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  22. #72
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,677
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I’m not sure mate, I think skill levels would reduce. For players’ safety more than anything, every club would have to do it which would mean players training 3 nights a week maximum and the majority of them would be knackered after working a physical job 8-10 hours a day beforehand. You can’t trust players to do their own conditioning so that would need to be incorporated into training as well, I think they’d end up doing a lot less skill work than they do now.

    I don’t know exactly what a semi pro Super League comp would look like but having done it in Union for a few years now, it’s a tough gig and given SL has been professional, it would be even more difficult. You’ve obviously got to do weights, position specific extras etc in your own time and I think a lot of players who’ve been in a professional environment for so long would see it as more trouble than it’s worth and would pack the game in.

    I don’t think it would ever happen because of the practicalities though, I don’t think you can just take people’s employment away from them like that on that scale. Not every player will have something to fall back on in terms of a career, you’ve got the mental health risk on the back of that, I just don’t think it could ever happen.
    Fair points Tez. Again, put across very well.

    I don't know what the answer is to make the game prosper or at least have a decent profile.
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  23. #73
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,677
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    The SL clubs have unanimously agreed to NOT reduce the salary cap next season. It will remain at 2.1m next season.

    https://superleague.co.uk/article/14...%7C-salary-cap
    That's a bit of good news
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  24. #74
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Childwall
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Hethringtons arse is going because Leeds RL have made a decent stadium for the home fans and it needs paying for. Like he normally does he has got the outside bog brigade behind him.

    He didn't give a stuff about caps when they beat us five times on the trot when we had one eye or more on Langtree. The man is a poison who will eat into the sport for his and his wife's agendas. Lucky people those two and don't worry Nige is still lurking to bring Bradfort back in SL.
    too right

  25. #75
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    The SL clubs have unanimously agreed to NOT reduce the salary cap next season. It will remain at 2.1m next season.

    https://superleague.co.uk/article/14...%7C-salary-cap
    If they voted unanimously why was it on the table in the first place?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •