Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Default Salary Cap

I see that the clubs from the dark side of the Pennines want to reduce the salary cap to £1.8m from the current £2.1m for up to 3 seasons (What a surprise, Yorkies being a bunch of tight arses!). How the hell can clubs do this when they have pre-existing contracts to honour? Can't see the players being happy with this. Surely the answer is those that can spend £2.1m do, those that can't don't.
    Last edited by doc; 25th May 2020 at 17:37. Reason: typo

Banned

Massive shock, I think we should tell them to ram it. As you say, there's existing contracts anyway so it's going to be difficult to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    I see that the clubs from the dark side of the Pennines want to reduce the salary cap to £1.8m from the current £2.1m for up to 3 seasons (What a surprise, Yorkies being a bunch of tight arses!). How the hell can clubs do this when they have pre-existing contracts to honour? Can't see the players being happy with this. Surely the answer is those that can spend £2.1m do, those that can't don't.

Doesn't surprise me

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    There should be a basic salary cap with supplements based on the clubs contribution to the game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

It'll be a huge backward step for the game over here if the cap is decreased. It has barely increased since its inception and we are miles behind Rugby Union and the NRL as it currently stands, so to decrease the cap by £300k would be a big blow to the game here and could possibly stop clubs from bringing in a superstar.

If a club is unable to afford to spend upto the cap, then don't spend upto the cap, but don't stop others that are ambitious and who want to take the game forward, from doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Because some can't spend up to the current cap, nobody should. This is letting the weaker clubs become the benchmark.

Learning All The Songs

Here is an idea. If your ground is a dump then you can have 1.8 millon salary cap, only when your ground is up to modern criteria will you be allowed to have a bigger cap.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

There is a solution.
    Agree to the £1.8 million cap

BUT

Only three non England/GB qualified players allowed
    Any player who comes through your clubs academy only counts as 50% on the cap.
    An extra £20K cap allowance for players who have come through your clubs academy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Because some can't spend up to the current cap, nobody should. This is letting the weaker clubs become the benchmark.
    Pretty much. The entire game is now geared to offering chances to the clubs that can’t compete in what is already a system than handcuffs the successful and well run clubs.

We already allow the clubs that can’t get their act together to compete artificially by having a play off system. Now some clubs want to damage the successful clubs even further by this.

Race to the bottom, where some will revel in how competitive Super League is because Huddersfield and Wakefield can compete with Saints and Warrington, when the actual reason is that the system is geared against the clubs that actually do things properly.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    There is a solution.
    Agree to the £1.8 million cap

BUT

Only three non England/GB qualified players allowed
    Any player who comes through your clubs academy only counts as 50% on the cap.
    An extra £20K cap allowance for players who have come through your clubs academy.
    I’d go further. 1.8 million, Only three non-GB players, all players who come through the clubs academy NO cap value.

But then the rhubarb triangle clubs would be bleeting that is unfair since they don’t have strong academies.

I wonder what a non salary capped league would play out like...genuine question.

If you imagine the likes of Wire and maybe Leeds then to a lesser extent us spending x million per year, compared to those at the bottom not able to spend to the current cap, how would that look on the field? Would it be similar to PL football in terms of the disparity, whereby at least those at the bottom can give a semi respectable account or would it be a case of 80-0 hammerings? I know football is a different game in that the smaller clubs can ‘park the bus’ but I wonder how our game would play out and what kind of disparity is acceptable for the good of the game?

Banned

I believe Sean it would depend on relegation policy. If it was a closed shop the likes of Carter at Wakey would spend as little as possible and do as he wishes with the rest. Widnes in the end paid two Directors ridiculous salaries before it went boom. Losing 60 - 0 away to Saints wouldn't bother them in the slightest.

Relegation would make them nervous due to the financial hit. Ground improvements they will not carry out as we have seen for nearly 30 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    I’d go further. 1.8 million, Only three non-GB players, all players who come through the clubs academy NO cap value.

But then the rhubarb triangle clubs would be bleeting that is unfair since they don’t have strong academies.
    "It int fayre though is eet? All owwer pits closed and all't immigrunts teken us other jobs, not t'menchun price o fuel an lard thees days. Ow'er we supposed compete wit fancy Lancashire clubs that kna what thas doing an that?"
    "Tha couldint lend us a quid forra a pint o Websters could thee?".

In The South Stand

Awful, small time idea that I’m not sure you can implement in less than a year, as proper clubs will have committed to spending x amount already before this daft idea come to light.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

Race to the bottom, where some will revel in how competitive Super League is because Huddersfield and Wakefield can compete with Saints and Warrington, when the actual reason is that the system is geared against the clubs that actually do things properly.

This!!!

I can already hear the Skysports crew, creaming about how the competition has never been closer. Which is a nice way of covering up how far the standards will have dropped.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52797428. This is an article with Gordan Strachan and although it's about Scottish football, there are alot of clubs in RL who this also relates to.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    This!!!

I can already hear the Skysports crew, creaming about how the competition has never been closer. Which is a nice way of covering up how far the standards will have dropped.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52797428. This is an article with Gordan Strachan and although it's about Scottish football, there are alot of clubs in RL who this also relates to.
    I despair at the way this sport is going, I really do.

Sick of the poverty plea all the time.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

There are a lot of clubs in SL and the Championship holding the sport back and most of them are in Yorkshire.

There are a lot of clubs in SL and the Championship holding the sport back and most of them are in Yorkshire.
    I agree.

Way it's going we should each be designated an NRL club to flog our best players to. Make the feeder league official

In real terms the salary cap has not stayed the same: it has reduced significantly since it was introduced. £1.8m was the figure at which the flat rate cap was first introduced in 2001. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator that is £3m in today's money.

As well as restricting the sport it's a bare-faced insult to the players. The game's authorities are lucky they have never got a decent players' union going.

Learning All The Songs

All this is going to do is increase the talent drain of players moving to the NRL or Yawnion, surely it makes more sense for the cap to be a percentage of income (not sure what percentage) or a set amount, whichever one is greater, that way it doesnt punish larger clubs.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

It’s just selfishness, plain and simple, the same clubs who’ve been holding the sport back for years. You only have to look at the state of some of the Super League games over the last couple of years to see the damage it would do. The cap desperately needs an increase.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

This!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

It's all true though unfortunately. I don't like Strachan but he's bang on with that article and it very much does apply to RL. Sky can dress things up as much as they like but anyone who has more than 10 years knowledge of the game will tell you it's changed for the worse, I don't think that's up for debate. I also despair of the way the game's going, the last 2 seasons were good but I fear we're back to the robotic Aussie style brought in by second rate Aussie coaches. I had high hopes last season after what we achieved but with this Covid situation and our stuttering start I feel pretty depressed about RL and life in general.

Learning All The Songs

You are wrong with this quote . ALL of them are in Yorkshire.

During Lock down I have been onto the TOTALRL.com forums and there is a genuine support on that forum for the excuse that 'Not all clubs have compliant councils or rich backers' so they can't afford to have decent facilities and they shouldn't be punished (unlike Widnes, Oldham and Leigh)

OK my biggest gripe has been the state of the grounds at Cas and Wakey but if you look further why haven't they invested into their academies as Leeds, Saints, Wigan have. I know for WIRE fans their lack of quality academy players has been a bit of a gripe , but they are trying to address this. If they claim they haven't enough money to do this then why are they in the top league?

Cap exemption for academy players would be the best thing to happen to this game.

Everything about these Yorkshire clubs drags the sport back, they have gone down the line of not investing off the pitch so their income streams are very limited (probably only really the Sky money). This suggested 1.8 million cap will probably be the Sky money we will get from the new new deal. So rather than getting off there backsides to sell/develope the game and more income streams for themselves they just want to take the sky money and run.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

One of my major concerns with the proposed salary cap reduction is that Hetherington would again get his way and scrap reserve teams. Then he would send the majority of his younger players on dual reg to further circumvent his cap liability.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    It’s just selfishness, plain and simple, the same clubs who’ve been holding the sport back for years. You only have to look at the state of some of the Super League games over the last couple of years to see the damage it would do. The cap desperately needs an increase.
    And it was always the RFL who tried to convince us otherwise they never had the guts to put pressure on the lesser Superleague Clubs to raise their game on and off the field. When eventually the top clubs had to settle for the diminishing salary cap the RFL said we now have a more competitive super league when in reality the standard of the game in quality and intensity had dropped to a lower standard which gave the likes of most the Yorkshire clubs winnable games.