Jungle Out There Banner
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: Super League to return in August

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,773
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Super League to return in August

    https://www.totalrl.com/super-league...ugust-weekend/

    3 proposals currently being discussed. One ends in November, 2nd ends in December, 3rd ends in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,277
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Proposal 3 would give us the last two rounds of the regular season on Boxing Day and New Years Day. If we could get fans back by then they could get huge crowds, especially with the play offs cut to 4 teams.

  3. #3
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,773
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Proposal 3 would give us the last two rounds of the regular season on Boxing Day and New Years Day. If we could get fans back by then they could get huge crowds, especially with the play offs cut to 4 teams.
    Phil Caplin (RL journo) has tweeted this is some clubs preferred option for that exact reason.

    Would also signal a March start for 2021 season and slightly reduced fixture list with the World Cup at the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  4. #4
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I think I’m leaning towards finishing in December, tbh.

    The January proposal isn’t too bad really. Given that we as a sport would have been away for five months, roughly, come August, the last thing we want to do is to have a much shorter season and to be away again come November. My only issue with January is the winter months can be quite poor so how does postponements effect this idea and how does such a late finish effect next season and the World Cup at the end of the year?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  5. #5
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,144
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I think I’m leaning towards finishing in December, tbh.

    The January proposal isn’t too bad really. Given that we as a sport would have been away for five months, roughly, come August, the last thing we want to do is to have a much shorter season and to be away again come November. My only issue with January is the winter months can be quite poor so how does postponements effect this idea and how does such a late finish effect next season and the World Cup at the end of the year?
    We managed to play in Winter for 100 years or so. I'm in favour of the January finish as in theory it should raise the most money and then start the season later. I'm not really too fussed about the World cup anyway, plus there's no saying what travel restrictions there will be anyway (hopefully none).

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,277
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I don’t think we should be too worried about the weather if we’re playing games in Dec and Jan. in theory we’re only talking two semi finals and the GF after New Years Day, and the weather doesn’t get really cold until late Jan and Feb, which of course is when we start seasons now anyway. In my utopian future, we go for a Jan finish and realise that playing the last two rounds on Boxing Day and NYD is fantastic and we then go with April-January seasons from then on, with a break in the season in Nov for internationals if need be.

    How many clubs would turn down having games on Good Friday, Boxing Day and NYD? Guaranteed bigger crowds, and for us it would mean Wigan on a bank holiday at home every season. And Sky would love the Grand Final in January on an FA Cup weekend when they’ve got nothing else to show.

  7. #7
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,144
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I don’t think we should be too worried about the weather if we’re playing games in Dec and Jan. in theory we’re only talking two semi finals and the GF after New Years Day, and the weather doesn’t get really cold until late Jan and Feb, which of course is when we start seasons now anyway. In my utopian future, we go for a Jan finish and realise that playing the last two rounds on Boxing Day and NYD is fantastic and we then go with April-January seasons from then on, with a break in the season in Nov for internationals if need be.

    How many clubs would turn down having games on Good Friday, Boxing Day and NYD? Guaranteed bigger crowds, and for us it would mean Wigan on a bank holiday at home every season. And Sky would love the Grand Final in January on an FA Cup weekend when they’ve got nothing else to show.
    No, I'm sorry, that's far too sensible. Please don't associate anything like that with RL.

    Seriously though, that's a great idea.

  8. #8
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    623
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I don’t think we should be too worried about the weather if we’re playing games in Dec and Jan. in theory we’re only talking two semi finals and the GF after New Years Day, and the weather doesn’t get really cold until late Jan and Feb, which of course is when we start seasons now anyway. In my utopian future, we go for a Jan finish and realise that playing the last two rounds on Boxing Day and NYD is fantastic and we then go with April-January seasons from then on, with a break in the season in Nov for internationals if need be.

    How many clubs would turn down having games on Good Friday, Boxing Day and NYD? Guaranteed bigger crowds, and for us it would mean Wigan on a bank holiday at home every season. And Sky would love the Grand Final in January on an FA Cup weekend when they’ve got nothing else to show.
    The RL will never go for that it’s much too sensible!

  9. #9
    In The South Stand CHANNEL22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,001
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I think I’m leaning towards finishing in December, tbh.

    The January proposal isn’t too bad really. Given that we as a sport would have been away for five months, roughly, come August, the last thing we want to do is to have a much shorter season and to be away again come November. My only issue with January is the winter months can be quite poor so how does postponements effect this idea and how does such a late finish effect next season and the World Cup at the end of the year?

    The weather is the least of our problems
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society


    Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

  10. #10
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I don’t get the idea of extending this year into January ‘21 just so teams can have a home game on Boxing Day. You end up playing into the next calendar year and then have to mess about with next year’s schedule, which would likely have to be shortened, just to get some extra rounds in this season.

    I’m all for no loop fixtures going forward but I don’t see why we would vote to have loop fixtures this year just to get rid of them for next season. It makes more sense to have the December proposal, IMO.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  11. #11
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,124
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I don’t get the idea of extending this year into January ‘21 just so teams can have a home game on Boxing Day. You end up playing into the next calendar year and then have to mess about with next year’s schedule, which would likely have to be shortened, just to get some extra rounds in this season.

    I’m all for no loop fixtures going forward but I don’t see why we would vote to have loop fixtures this year just to get rid of them for next season. It makes more sense to have the December proposal, IMO.
    I don't like loop fixtures at all but apparently the clubs need that number of games to keep the money coming in.

    There was talk of extra teams in the Super League next year so that maybe reason for no loop games.

    On a separate note how would late finish work with out if contract players especially Thommo

  12. #12
    Got A Season Ticket sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    30
    Posts
    240
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Boxing day Derby would be great!

    Would it be at Saints though ? Seeing as it was our turn to host the Good Friday Derby this year.

  13. #13
    In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,249
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    I just remember being ages 10-16 being a bit gutted as Xmas day was coming to a end had my presents, dinner and buffet on the night BUT then the realisation it was Saints and Wigan the day after, I was buzzing.

  14. #14
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Boxing day Derby would be great!

    Would it be at Saints though ? Seeing as it was our turn to host the Good Friday Derby this year.

    Will also depend on what Wigan Athletic are upto that day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •