Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Super League to return in August

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Default Super League to return in August

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league...ugust-weekend/

3 proposals currently being discussed. One ends in November, 2nd ends in December, 3rd ends in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Proposal 3 would give us the last two rounds of the regular season on Boxing Day and New Years Day. If we could get fans back by then they could get huge crowds, especially with the play offs cut to 4 teams.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Proposal 3 would give us the last two rounds of the regular season on Boxing Day and New Years Day. If we could get fans back by then they could get huge crowds, especially with the play offs cut to 4 teams.
    Phil Caplin (RL journo) has tweeted this is some clubs preferred option for that exact reason.

Would also signal a March start for 2021 season and slightly reduced fixture list with the World Cup at the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

I think I’m leaning towards finishing in December, tbh.

The January proposal isn’t too bad really. Given that we as a sport would have been away for five months, roughly, come August, the last thing we want to do is to have a much shorter season and to be away again come November. My only issue with January is the winter months can be quite poor so how does postponements effect this idea and how does such a late finish effect next season and the World Cup at the end of the year?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post

The January proposal isn’t too bad really. Given that we as a sport would have been away for five months, roughly, come August, the last thing we want to do is to have a much shorter season and to be away again come November. My only issue with January is the winter months can be quite poor so how does postponements effect this idea and how does such a late finish effect next season and the World Cup at the end of the year?
    We managed to play in Winter for 100 years or so. I'm in favour of the January finish as in theory it should raise the most money and then start the season later. I'm not really too fussed about the World cup anyway, plus there's no saying what travel restrictions there will be anyway (hopefully none).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I don’t think we should be too worried about the weather if we’re playing games in Dec and Jan. in theory we’re only talking two semi finals and the GF after New Years Day, and the weather doesn’t get really cold until late Jan and Feb, which of course is when we start seasons now anyway. In my utopian future, we go for a Jan finish and realise that playing the last two rounds on Boxing Day and NYD is fantastic and we then go with April-January seasons from then on, with a break in the season in Nov for internationals if need be.

How many clubs would turn down having games on Good Friday, Boxing Day and NYD? Guaranteed bigger crowds, and for us it would mean Wigan on a bank holiday at home every season. And Sky would love the Grand Final in January on an FA Cup weekend when they’ve got nothing else to show.

Banned

I don’t think we should be too worried about the weather if we’re playing games in Dec and Jan. in theory we’re only talking two semi finals and the GF after New Years Day, and the weather doesn’t get really cold until late Jan and Feb, which of course is when we start seasons now anyway. In my utopian future, we go for a Jan finish and realise that playing the last two rounds on Boxing Day and NYD is fantastic and we then go with April-January seasons from then on, with a break in the season in Nov for internationals if need be.

How many clubs would turn down having games on Good Friday, Boxing Day and NYD? Guaranteed bigger crowds, and for us it would mean Wigan on a bank holiday at home every season. And Sky would love the Grand Final in January on an FA Cup weekend when they’ve got nothing else to show.
    No, I'm sorry, that's far too sensible. Please don't associate anything like that with RL.

Seriously though, that's a great idea.

Learning All The Songs

The RL will never go for that it’s much too sensible!

The weather is the least of our problems
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

In The South Stand

I don’t get the idea of extending this year into January ‘21 just so teams can have a home game on Boxing Day. You end up playing into the next calendar year and then have to mess about with next year’s schedule, which would likely have to be shortened, just to get some extra rounds in this season.

I’m all for no loop fixtures going forward but I don’t see why we would vote to have loop fixtures this year just to get rid of them for next season. It makes more sense to have the December proposal, IMO.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I don’t get the idea of extending this year into January ‘21 just so teams can have a home game on Boxing Day. You end up playing into the next calendar year and then have to mess about with next year’s schedule, which would likely have to be shortened, just to get some extra rounds in this season.

I’m all for no loop fixtures going forward but I don’t see why we would vote to have loop fixtures this year just to get rid of them for next season. It makes more sense to have the December proposal, IMO.
    I don't like loop fixtures at all but apparently the clubs need that number of games to keep the money coming in.

There was talk of extra teams in the Super League next year so that maybe reason for no loop games.

On a separate note how would late finish work with out if contract players especially Thommo

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Boxing day Derby would be great!

Would it be at Saints though ? Seeing as it was our turn to host the Good Friday Derby this year.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I just remember being ages 10-16 being a bit gutted as Xmas day was coming to a end had my presents, dinner and buffet on the night BUT then the realisation it was Saints and Wigan the day after, I was buzzing.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Boxing day Derby would be great!

Would it be at Saints though ? Seeing as it was our turn to host the Good Friday Derby this year.

Will also depend on what Wigan Athletic are upto that day.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    https://www.totalrl.com/super-league...ugust-weekend/

3 proposals currently being discussed. One ends in November, 2nd ends in December, 3rd ends in January.
    Scrums now to be scrapped for the remainder of the season (whenever it starts) presumably play will just restart with a handover, but it might lead to some innovations with so many forwards ready to go instead of having a breather in the pack

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Scrums now to be scrapped for the remainder of the season (whenever it starts) presumably play will just restart with a handover, but it might lead to some innovations with so many forwards ready to go instead of having a breather in the pack
    Wouldn't be sorry to see the end of scrums altogether to be honest.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Wouldn't be sorry to see the end of scrums altogether to be honest.
    Agree 100 % , scrums are a joke , a handover would be better .