Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justin's team

Got A Season Ticket

Default Justin's team

looks like Justin's team has lost again and what a heavy defeat it was. Think they will have 1000 points scored against them in the first 3 games.

I would definitely welcome him back to saints if he wants to come

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danny_15 View Post
    looks like Justin's team has lost again and what a heavy defeat it was. Think they will have 1000 points scored against them in the first 3 games.

1000 in 3 games!!!! Either there's a rogue "0" in there or they have even bigger problems than most suspected!!

Either way, they have gone for alomost a year without a victory. That must be one turnaround in club atmoshpere for JH, from the way the past 2 seasons over here went to walking into that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by danny_15 View Post

Assume you mean 100. Gold Coast is a massive project and nobody (least of all JH) will have expected anything other than a struggle this year. As discussed on the Salary Cap thread, the idea that all NRL teams are great and at an equal level is a myth. Some have struggled year after year, and Gold Coast need a few years with a coach that can make players better, bring in some new blood and turn around the losing culture. I hope he’s given time.

The Titans need 3 seasons to become a good team not 3 games.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

To be fair they were ok in the first half and lost their way a bit. That said, they're not great at all.

I'm certain JH knew the job he had on and I suspect he will be given time as it won't do any good sacking a new coach with that squad.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

They’ve the worst squad in the league with arguably their best player leaving at the end of this season as well. 10 players off contracts at the end of this season and 13 at the end of next so he’ll have the opportunity to rebuild the squad in the way he wants. It’s gonna be at least 2022 before Gold Coast are anywhere near being competitive and I’m sure there’ll be plenty more beatings to come. I’m sure Justin wouldn’t have taken on such a big job unless he had assurances about control over the recruitment and getting the time to implement any changes.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Despite the size of the challenge he faces , I suspect he is glad he is back in Aus, particularly in view of Covid.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I think Gold Coast only won about five games during the whole of last season so not surprising that they’ve took some beatings so far this year really.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think Gold Coast only won about five games during the whole of last season so not surprising that they’ve took some beatings so far this year really.
    Sneaked into the Finals with a losing record in 2016.

Since then, 19 wins and 56 losses from the start of 2017.

It'll take some getting used to for JH, as even though he'll know the NRL is a higher standard he will have got used to winning over the last two years.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

They have picked a superb inclusive coach for a big project.He just needs his full contract time to get the job done.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    They have picked a superb inclusive coach for a big project.He just needs his full contract time to get the job done.
    If he can turn this around he really will have proved himself a top coach.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Assume you mean 100. Gold Coast is a massive project and nobody (least of all JH) will have expected anything other than a struggle this year. As discussed on the Salary Cap thread, the idea that all NRL teams are great and at an equal level is a myth. Some have struggled year after year, and Gold Coast need a few years with a coach that can make players better, bring in some new blood and turn around the losing culture. I hope he’s given time.
    I'm almost sure he mentioned something about the current team not being what he liked and there will be changes in 2021. It does look like a possible 3 year working progress project doesn't it.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If he can turn this around he really will have proved himself a top coach.
    Still surprised he took the Gold Coast Job. One of the Sydney sides would have been worth waiting for...at least there is some pedigree in the Bulldogs, Dragons who will be looking for new coaches come 2021

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint in Queensland View Post
    Still surprised he took the Gold Coast Job. One of the Sydney sides would have been worth waiting for...at least there is some pedigree in the Bulldogs, Dragons who will be looking for new coaches come 2021
    The gold coast job was open and he wanted to go back to Aus. He knows the expectations will be low as they are a rebuilding team,so as a relatively inexperienced coach he has plenty of time if things don't go well. Saying he could of waited for another job to open up is all well and good,but how many other coaches will be going for those jobs ? there is no guarantee that he could get them and the expectations are higher and therefore the job is less secure.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    The gold coast job was open and he wanted to go back to Aus. He knows the expectations will be low as they are a rebuilding team,so as a relatively inexperienced coach he has plenty of time if things don't go well. Saying he could of waited for another job to open up is all well and good,but how many other coaches will be going for those jobs ? there is no guarantee that he could get them and the expectations are higher and therefore the job is less secure.
    Also, it’s less scrutiny and there is more scope to be given time. The big Sydney clubs don’t give coaches too much time if they don’t make the 8 in a year or two, but up on the Gold Coast there is less in-built pressure. He may also have thought the lifestyle would have been better for his family.

I’m sure as a fairly young fella he will be thinking a bigger job will be there down the line, but I think this one is a good choice for him at this stage.

In The South Stand

I didn’t think they were that far away in the first half. They let themselves down a lot with poor decisions or errors like dropped balls and repeat sets.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    But he’s only got a 2 year contract? Gold Coast is a 5 year rebuild. I’d love him To do well but he’s going to need a long time there. The squad is poor with a lot of money tied up in unproductive players like Ash Taylor, Bryce Cartwright and Shannon Boyd. He only has 1-2 green shoots too - Fortuakia the prop and AJ Brimson the full back. He’s already losing Jai Arrow for 2021.

He’s also a Sydney boy.

I don’t criticise his choice and GC is a Beautiful place to live I just think he might have done better in Sydney. Even going to assist at one of the big boys...

Not really Sydney though Wollongong is it?

Banned

But he’s only got a 2 year contract? Gold Coast is a 5 year rebuild. I’d love him To do well but he’s going to need a long time there. The squad is poor with a lot of money tied up in unproductive players like Ash Taylor, Bryce Cartwright and Shannon Boyd. He only has 1-2 green shoots too - Fortuakia the prop and AJ Brimson the full back. He’s already losing Jai Arrow for 2021.

He’s also a Sydney boy.

I don’t criticise his choice and GC is a Beautiful place to live I just think he might have done better in Sydney. Even going to assist at one of the big boys...
    They don't half have some stupid names in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Watched St George v Melbourne in the Gong in 2017, and also had a mate from St Helens who went out there and lived there for a couple of years. No, it’s not Sydney, as the train back to town testified!

Watched St George v Melbourne in the Gong in 2017, and also had a mate from St Helens who went out there and lived there for a couple of years. No, it’s not Sydney, as the train back to town testified!
    I wonder if we know the same person! I'll PM you

Banned

I was amazed he took thar job; its been poison for a while and if he had waited a touch longer surely a better opportunity would have arisen. If it goes tits up it will be a while before JH gets another gig in the NRL so I was surprised he went to the Gold Coast tbh.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    It’s about 1-1.5h down there from Sydney which ain’t much in Oz travel times.

Interestingly, the red V St George job is likely To become available soon.. they are in all sorts of strife..But have a much better squad that the Titans

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

It’s about 1-1.5h down there from Sydney which ain’t much in Oz travel times.

Interestingly, the red V St George job is likely To become available soon.. they are in all sorts of strife..But have a much better squad that the Titans
    I think McGregor is keeping the seat warm until Shane Flanagan's ban is over

Learning All The Songs

I miss him.