Jungle Out There Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 75

Thread: Greg Inglis - Signed for Warrington

  1. #26
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,789
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Huge signing for the competition and Warrington. A bums on seats player, one of the best to have played the game.

    He'll raise the profile of the sport over here and if he plays anywhere near to what he's capable of he will destroy teams.

    Reports coming out at the moment that he's not a marquee player which I'm not sure about but fair play to Warrington, they've pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  2. #27
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    What a signing. Fair play.

  3. #28
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    4,134
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Great signing for the game, bums on seats player.
    And yet you’ve been very vocal on here in the past criticising the signing of old Australians in favour of developing and bringing through our younger players.

  4. #29
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,294
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Whatever his reasons for doing this, it could be just what the game needs in 2021 when we'll need all the attention and all the interest we can get. And, unlike SBW, this will be a player not hidden away in Toronto but playing for an established club on TV regularly and available to do all the media stuff Sky will obviously ask him to do for big non-Wire games on TV.

  5. #30
    In The South Stand OoOGazOoO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lincs.
    Posts
    2,608
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Could potentially be a huge signing for Wire and you can't knock their ambition.

    But chuffin heck, I've forgotten how many times they have announced a signing and first thought has been 'How on earth do they do this with the celery cap'.

  6. #31
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,179
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    He talks about their rich heritage - obviously not bothered about winning titles then.....oh, I forgot, 2021 is defo the year.
    Whoever sold it to him needs a pat on the back selling Warrington with rich heritage and a power house club, its a risky signing whether he can return to full fitness levels its probably that world class experience which will pay dividends.

  7. #32
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,427
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    There’s a risk involved but they’ve only signed him on a short contract so if it doesn’t work next year, they just won’t renew it. When Barba was on it for the first half of that season, it was like having 14 players on the field he was that far ahead of everyone else and if Inglis is 75% of the player he was, my fear is that he’ll have that effect for them.

    I do think that recruitment is going to be crucial for us over the next couple of years. Even prior to this season, a few of the teams strengthened considerably and looked a lot stronger than in previous years. I understand why we didn’t sign anyone but we’ll have some important replacements to make over the next couple of years.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  8. #33
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,243
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    And yet you’ve been very vocal on here in the past criticising the signing of old Australians in favour of developing and bringing through our younger players.
    Yes and still am critical. I've always maintained that we should only have three non GB / England qualified players per team.

    However comparing the signing of Inglis is different. He's a world renown player who will put bums on seats. He's on a short term contract so the risk is minimal.

    From a Wigan point of view Shaun Wane gave debuts to 41 players from the academy squad in his tenure at Wigan, that's what other clubs should be aiming for, that's an academy that's won nine of their last eleven championships.

  9. #34
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on 13 Pro-Am podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,234
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    I am with Rogues on the 3 limit
    Learned comment from The Don

  10. #35
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,171
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    There’s a risk involved but they’ve only signed him on a short contract so if it doesn’t work next year, they just won’t renew it. When Barba was on it for the first half of that season, it was like having 14 players on the field he was that far ahead of everyone else and if Inglis is 75% of the player he was, my fear is that he’ll have that effect for them.

    I do think that recruitment is going to be crucial for us over the next couple of years. Even prior to this season, a few of the teams strengthened considerably and looked a lot stronger than in previous years. I understand why we didn’t sign anyone but we’ll have some important replacements to make over the next couple of years.
    I can’t see him having anywhere near the effect Barba had. Barba was in his prime and had the end of 2017 to get up to speed for a full season in 2018, Inglis will be 34 and won’t have played for nearly two years so will take a fair while to get fully match fit, I imagine. Also, Barba’s motivation for coming here was to get a deal with an NRL team, I can’t see Inglis’ motivation being anything other than money. Agree on our recruitment though, I think we need at least 3 or 4 for next year with 2 of those being top quality. Hopefully this will encourage us to go big.

  11. #36
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,621
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Wow. Rogues has managed to Wigan’s academy and Shaun Wane mentioned in a Greg Inglis to Warrington thread.

    Fair play old chap, you’re consistent I’ll give you that haha
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  12. #37
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Yes and still am critical. I've always maintained that we should only have three non GB / England qualified players per team.

    However comparing the signing of Inglis is different. He's a world renown player who will put bums on seats. He's on a short term contract so the risk is minimal.

    From a Wigan point of view Shaun Wane gave debuts to 41 players from the academy squad in his tenure at Wigan, that's what other clubs should be aiming for, that's an academy that's won nine of their last eleven championships.
    I agree with your first point.

    Your second, •••• off, no one cares, it's not about your tramp club, get back to the beggars queue with all the yorkshire lot.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 19th May 2020 at 20:16. Reason: drinking heavily and not having hair.

  13. #38
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,294
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Whoever sold it to him needs a pat on the back selling Warrington with rich heritage and a power house club
    One of the weird things about our game up here is that even though Sky and others have denigrated the Challenge Cup, it is still probably regarded as the big thing here by those in Australia who don't really pay attention to our game on a weekly basis. Lots of great Aussie players rocked up here in the 1980s dreaming of playing at Wembley, and that generation of players are some of the most influential opinion makers down there. So, given that Wire have won a few Cups in the last decade it was all they needed to tell him.

  14. #39
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,664
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Wow. Rogues has managed to Wigan’s academy and Shaun Wane mentioned in a Greg Inglis to Warrington thread.

    Fair play old chap, you’re consistent I’ll give you that haha
    Indeed.

    But not mentioned a renowned NRL centre Wigan signed once & his impact on the club & super league. David Vaealiki? Seems odd. He mustn't have been very good?
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  15. #40
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    487
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    The Rogue does have a spreadsheet on overseas signings though.

  16. #41
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on 13 Pro-Am podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,234
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Retired 12 months ago with knee and shoulder problems. He is a 33 year old centre I suspect he won't play more than a handful of games is he a stellar signing?
    Learned comment from The Don

  17. #42
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,877
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Huge signing for the competition and Warrington. A bums on seats player, one of the best to have played the game.

    He'll raise the profile of the sport over here and if he plays anywhere near to what he's capable of he will destroy teams.

    Reports coming out at the moment that he's not a marquee player which I'm not sure about but fair play to Warrington, they've pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one.

    His missus working at Halliwell Jones on £200k/year?
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  18. #43
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    South Coast UK
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    His missus working at Halliwell Jones on £200k/year?
    Only if Chris Hills wife has retired

  19. #44
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,602
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trion View Post
    Only if Chris Hills wife has retired
    Is she any better than him? More mobile, less mouth??

  20. #45
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Could potentially be a huge signing for Wire and you can't knock their ambition.

    But chuffin heck, I've forgotten how many times they have announced a signing and first thought has been 'How on earth do they do this with the celery cap'.
    They probably called him up on his celery phone to do the deal, they had him stalked for a while now, maybe he was suede by their superior training facilities, you could even say he was persueded by their culture, he is a good signing they could have a title to celerybrate in 2021, lettuce hope not and things Romaine the same.
    I need a lie down................ some peas and quiet.

  21. #46
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,827
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    They probably called him up on his celery phone to do the deal, they had him stalked for a while now, maybe he was suede by their superior training facilities, you could even say he was persueded by their culture, he is a good signing they could have a title to celerybrate in 2021, lettuce hope not and things Romaine the same.
    I need a lie down................ some peas and quiet.
    You could just go for a leek?

  22. #47
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,179
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Retired 12 months ago with knee and shoulder problems. He is a 33 year old centre I suspect he won't play more than a handful of games is he a stellar signing?
    He self confessed last year that most of the time he can't lift his arm above the horizontal because he has arthritis in his shoulder. So I assume warrington hired a crop duster and flew above his house with a banner "Wolves are waiting and you don't need a medical".

  23. #48
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,602
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He self confessed last year that most of the time he can't lift his arm above the horizontal because he has arthritis in his shoulder. So I assume warrington hired a crop duster and flew above his house with a banner "Wolves are waiting and you don't need a medical".
    A bit of damp weather should do his shoulder a world of good. Let's hope he plays and trains in the rain the week before they play us,

  24. #49
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,179
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    A bit of damp weather should do his shoulder a world of good. Let's hope he plays and trains in the rain the week before they play us,
    They might not play him for the first 2 months of the season.

  25. #50
    Starting A Programme Collection Mike Stephenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    731
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    I can’t see him having anywhere near the effect Barba had. Barba was in his prime and had the end of 2017 to get up to speed for a full season in 2018, Inglis will be 34 and won’t have played for nearly two years so will take a fair while to get fully match fit, I imagine. Also, Barba’s motivation for coming here was to get a deal with an NRL team, I can’t see Inglis’ motivation being anything other than money. Agree on our recruitment though, I think we need at least 3 or 4 for next year with 2 of those being top quality. Hopefully this will encourage us to go big.
    I tend to agree and whilst I actually don't think Barba was at his peak when he was here, he was still in his 20's. It would be a big ask for Inglis at 34 to do what Barba did. And I think Warrington know that and he will likely play in the centres where he won't have to do as much high intensity running. This is also likely why it isn't a marquee contract. I know Slater played at full back at that age, but they're very different body types. Towards the end of his time at Souths he was moved to play out there and even played in the halves as well I think.

    This said, I hope he performs well in SL for the reasons others have spoken about and so encourages other clubs to keep investing. Clubs like St Helens as you have suggested.

    Regards,

    STEVO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •