Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg Inglis - Signed for Warrington

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Huge signing for the competition and Warrington. A bums on seats player, one of the best to have played the game.

He'll raise the profile of the sport over here and if he plays anywhere near to what he's capable of he will destroy teams.

Reports coming out at the moment that he's not a marquee player which I'm not sure about but fair play to Warrington, they've pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

What a signing. Fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Great signing for the game, bums on seats player.
    And yet you’ve been very vocal on here in the past criticising the signing of old Australians in favour of developing and bringing through our younger players.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Whatever his reasons for doing this, it could be just what the game needs in 2021 when we'll need all the attention and all the interest we can get. And, unlike SBW, this will be a player not hidden away in Toronto but playing for an established club on TV regularly and available to do all the media stuff Sky will obviously ask him to do for big non-Wire games on TV.

Could potentially be a huge signing for Wire and you can't knock their ambition.

But chuffin heck, I've forgotten how many times they have announced a signing and first thought has been 'How on earth do they do this with the celery cap'.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    He talks about their rich heritage - obviously not bothered about winning titles then.....oh, I forgot, 2021 is defo the year.
    Whoever sold it to him needs a pat on the back selling Warrington with rich heritage and a power house club, its a risky signing whether he can return to full fitness levels its probably that world class experience which will pay dividends.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

There’s a risk involved but they’ve only signed him on a short contract so if it doesn’t work next year, they just won’t renew it. When Barba was on it for the first half of that season, it was like having 14 players on the field he was that far ahead of everyone else and if Inglis is 75% of the player he was, my fear is that he’ll have that effect for them.

I do think that recruitment is going to be crucial for us over the next couple of years. Even prior to this season, a few of the teams strengthened considerably and looked a lot stronger than in previous years. I understand why we didn’t sign anyone but we’ll have some important replacements to make over the next couple of years.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    And yet you’ve been very vocal on here in the past criticising the signing of old Australians in favour of developing and bringing through our younger players.
    Yes and still am critical. I've always maintained that we should only have three non GB / England qualified players per team.

However comparing the signing of Inglis is different. He's a world renown player who will put bums on seats. He's on a short term contract so the risk is minimal.

From a Wigan point of view Shaun Wane gave debuts to 41 players from the academy squad in his tenure at Wigan, that's what other clubs should be aiming for, that's an academy that's won nine of their last eleven championships.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I am with Rogues on the 3 limit
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    There’s a risk involved but they’ve only signed him on a short contract so if it doesn’t work next year, they just won’t renew it. When Barba was on it for the first half of that season, it was like having 14 players on the field he was that far ahead of everyone else and if Inglis is 75% of the player he was, my fear is that he’ll have that effect for them.

I do think that recruitment is going to be crucial for us over the next couple of years. Even prior to this season, a few of the teams strengthened considerably and looked a lot stronger than in previous years. I understand why we didn’t sign anyone but we’ll have some important replacements to make over the next couple of years.
    I can’t see him having anywhere near the effect Barba had. Barba was in his prime and had the end of 2017 to get up to speed for a full season in 2018, Inglis will be 34 and won’t have played for nearly two years so will take a fair while to get fully match fit, I imagine. Also, Barba’s motivation for coming here was to get a deal with an NRL team, I can’t see Inglis’ motivation being anything other than money. Agree on our recruitment though, I think we need at least 3 or 4 for next year with 2 of those being top quality. Hopefully this will encourage us to go big.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Wow. Rogues has managed to Wigan’s academy and Shaun Wane mentioned in a Greg Inglis to Warrington thread.

Fair play old chap, you’re consistent I’ll give you that haha
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Yes and still am critical. I've always maintained that we should only have three non GB / England qualified players per team.

However comparing the signing of Inglis is different. He's a world renown player who will put bums on seats. He's on a short term contract so the risk is minimal.

From a Wigan point of view Shaun Wane gave debuts to 41 players from the academy squad in his tenure at Wigan, that's what other clubs should be aiming for, that's an academy that's won nine of their last eleven championships.
    I agree with your first point.

Your second, •••• off, no one cares, it's not about your tramp club, get back to the beggars queue with all the yorkshire lot.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 19th May 2020 at 21:16. Reason: drinking heavily and not having hair.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Whoever sold it to him needs a pat on the back selling Warrington with rich heritage and a power house club
    One of the weird things about our game up here is that even though Sky and others have denigrated the Challenge Cup, it is still probably regarded as the big thing here by those in Australia who don't really pay attention to our game on a weekly basis. Lots of great Aussie players rocked up here in the 1980s dreaming of playing at Wembley, and that generation of players are some of the most influential opinion makers down there. So, given that Wire have won a few Cups in the last decade it was all they needed to tell him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Wow. Rogues has managed to Wigan’s academy and Shaun Wane mentioned in a Greg Inglis to Warrington thread.

Fair play old chap, you’re consistent I’ll give you that haha
    Indeed.

But not mentioned a renowned NRL centre Wigan signed once & his impact on the club & super league. David Vaealiki? Seems odd. He mustn't have been very good?

Banned

The Rogue does have a spreadsheet on overseas signings though.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Retired 12 months ago with knee and shoulder problems. He is a 33 year old centre I suspect he won't play more than a handful of games is he a stellar signing?
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Huge signing for the competition and Warrington. A bums on seats player, one of the best to have played the game.

He'll raise the profile of the sport over here and if he plays anywhere near to what he's capable of he will destroy teams.

Reports coming out at the moment that he's not a marquee player which I'm not sure about but fair play to Warrington, they've pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one.

His missus working at Halliwell Jones on £200k/year?

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    His missus working at Halliwell Jones on £200k/year?
    Only if Chris Hills wife has retired

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trion View Post
    Only if Chris Hills wife has retired
    Is she any better than him? More mobile, less mouth??

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Could potentially be a huge signing for Wire and you can't knock their ambition.

But chuffin heck, I've forgotten how many times they have announced a signing and first thought has been 'How on earth do they do this with the celery cap'.
    They probably called him up on his celery phone to do the deal, they had him stalked for a while now, maybe he was suede by their superior training facilities, you could even say he was persueded by their culture, he is a good signing they could have a title to celerybrate in 2021, lettuce hope not and things Romaine the same.
    I need a lie down................ some peas and quiet.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    They probably called him up on his celery phone to do the deal, they had him stalked for a while now, maybe he was suede by their superior training facilities, you could even say he was persueded by their culture, he is a good signing they could have a title to celerybrate in 2021, lettuce hope not and things Romaine the same.
    I need a lie down................ some peas and quiet.
    You could just go for a leek?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Retired 12 months ago with knee and shoulder problems. He is a 33 year old centre I suspect he won't play more than a handful of games is he a stellar signing?
    He self confessed last year that most of the time he can't lift his arm above the horizontal because he has arthritis in his shoulder. So I assume warrington hired a crop duster and flew above his house with a banner "Wolves are waiting and you don't need a medical".

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He self confessed last year that most of the time he can't lift his arm above the horizontal because he has arthritis in his shoulder. So I assume warrington hired a crop duster and flew above his house with a banner "Wolves are waiting and you don't need a medical".
    A bit of damp weather should do his shoulder a world of good. Let's hope he plays and trains in the rain the week before they play us,

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    A bit of damp weather should do his shoulder a world of good. Let's hope he plays and trains in the rain the week before they play us,
    They might not play him for the first 2 months of the season.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    I can’t see him having anywhere near the effect Barba had. Barba was in his prime and had the end of 2017 to get up to speed for a full season in 2018, Inglis will be 34 and won’t have played for nearly two years so will take a fair while to get fully match fit, I imagine. Also, Barba’s motivation for coming here was to get a deal with an NRL team, I can’t see Inglis’ motivation being anything other than money. Agree on our recruitment though, I think we need at least 3 or 4 for next year with 2 of those being top quality. Hopefully this will encourage us to go big.
    I tend to agree and whilst I actually don't think Barba was at his peak when he was here, he was still in his 20's. It would be a big ask for Inglis at 34 to do what Barba did. And I think Warrington know that and he will likely play in the centres where he won't have to do as much high intensity running. This is also likely why it isn't a marquee contract. I know Slater played at full back at that age, but they're very different body types. Towards the end of his time at Souths he was moved to play out there and even played in the halves as well I think.

This said, I hope he performs well in SL for the reasons others have spoken about and so encourages other clubs to keep investing. Clubs like St Helens as you have suggested.

Regards,

STEVO