Jungle Out There Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 120

Thread: James Tamou

  1. #76
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,664
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    I'm not sure I totally agree with this. I don't think he's improved enough. I like what he offers but we were all hoping for a Bateman and he's not going to be that good.

    I think second row is going to be our biggest headache going forward.
    Fair enough WE. Yep I don't think he will get to Bateman's level although that guy is an exceptional talent.

    Yes, second row could be a problem for us for a few seasons. Wouldn't mind Currie if the rumours are true obviously. I'm just hoping Bentley can continue to be effective from the bench as a 2nd rower on either side
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  2. #77
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Fair enough WE. Yep I don't think he will get to Bateman's level although that guy is an exceptional talent.

    Yes, second row could be a problem for us for a few seasons. Wouldn't mind Currie if the rumours are true obviously. I'm just hoping Bentley can continue to be effective from the bench as a 2nd rower on either side
    Would you really take a punt on Currie? I'd prefer McMeekan who's also available.

  3. #78
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,179
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Would you really take a punt on Currie? I'd prefer McMeekan who's also available.
    Its a strange one for McMeekan not really a 100% effort player in a game, sometimes hides, I'm assuming that's why he hasn't got an extension with Cas yet. Currie has a better pedigree and has a strike rate much better, it's all done to that injury risk though.

  4. #79
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its a strange one for McMeekan not really a 100% effort player in a game, sometimes hides, I'm assuming that's why he hasn't got an extension with Cas yet. Currie has a better pedigree and has a strike rate much better, it's all done to that injury risk though.
    I can't disagree with any of that but as Ian Brown said "it where you're at, not where you're from".

  5. #80
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,664
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Would you really take a punt on Currie? I'd prefer McMeekan who's also available.

    Yes I'd prefer McMeekan but I think he will go to Warrington
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  6. #81
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    392
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I dont get the fuss with mcmeeken. He had a great 2017, ok 2018 but was that poor last year he got dropped in alot of matches. Currie is good but also very very injury prone plus with him being from wigan i think he will end up their. Id still be pushing for jones even if we have to pay a fee. If not him see what available in oz

  7. #82
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Yes I'd prefer McMeekan but I think he will go to Warrington
    True, they've got £45m left on their cap.

  8. #83
    In The South Stand OoOGazOoO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lincs.
    Posts
    2,608
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    True, they've got £45m left on their cap.
    I think they have a little more than that!

  9. #84
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Tamou doesn't look great at all.

  10. #85
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,830
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Tamou doesn't look great at all.
    Not great today, under 100m in 40 minutes played. Lots of big forward performances from others

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  11. #86
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,294
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Tamou doesn't look great at all.
    Saving himself for November maybe!

  12. #87
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Saving himself for November maybe!
    Good man.

  13. #88
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,054
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Thought he was very poor this morning. Though from what I saw of the game, Newcastle were in the ascendency.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  14. #89
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Thought he was very poor this morning. Though from what I saw of the game, Newcastle were in the ascendency.
    It was a strange game I thought, Newcastle done very well considering.

  15. #90
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    409
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Not great today, under 100m in 40 minutes played. Lots of big forward performances from others

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

    Good player is Tamou but has a habit of going missing in games - particularly when he was at the Cowboys. We don’t want that. Of the two, James Graham would be a far better option.

  16. #91
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    Good player is Tamou but has a habit of going missing in games - particularly when he was at the Cowboys. We don’t want that. Of the two, James Graham would be a far better option.
    Both Tamou and Graham are years past prime although would do a solid job. Probably better looking at some frustrated / club fall out project. Josh Kerr from the Dragons would go better.

  17. #92
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint in Queensland View Post
    Both Tamou and Graham are years past prime although would do a solid job. Probably better looking at some frustrated / club fall out project. Josh Kerr from the Dragons would go better.
    I managed to watch all the NRL games this weekend & most of them were played at a very fast pace. I thought Graham looked pedestrian for St George and didn't come back on after his first half stint (I don't think). Putting sentiment aside, I don't think Graham would be VFM presuming he would want a fair wedge of money. JT would be less of a gamble IMO considering he is 5 years younger but still a gamble.

  18. #93
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,693
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Having watched both, neither would be a particularly good signing.

    But the lack of forward planning with the squad has left us in a position very similar to where we were under Cunningham. We're going to have to sign some utter dross just to fill first team spots at this rate. Graham and Tamou don't fall into that category, but neither is a great signing.

  19. #94
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,877
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Having watched both, neither would be a particularly good signing.

    But the lack of forward planning with the squad has left us in a position very similar to where we were under Cunningham. We're going to have to sign some utter dross just to fill first team spots at this rate. Graham and Tamou don't fall into that category, but neither is a great signing.

    It's not a lack forward planning, rather a lack of available options that would be better than what we have. I don't think anyone envisaged Taia going round again this year but he played so well in 2019 that to improve on what he offered would have needed a major investment. With a new coach coming in, it was thought better to provide some stability and let Woolf assess what exactly it is he wants/needs for 2021 through the 2020 season.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  20. #95
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,179
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Having watched both, neither would be a particularly good signing.

    But the lack of forward planning with the squad has left us in a position very similar to where we were under Cunningham. We're going to have to sign some utter dross just to fill first team spots at this rate. Graham and Tamou don't fall into that category, but neither is a great signing.
    Lots of other super league teams in the same boat, not really any good British youngsters coming through, so we are not alone with a quality forward pack in the next 2 years.

  21. #96
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It's not a lack forward planning, rather a lack of available options that would be better than what we have. I don't think anyone envisaged Taia going round again this year but he played so well in 2019 that to improve on what he offered would have needed a major investment. With a new coach coming in, it was thought better to provide some stability and let Woolf assess what exactly it is he wants/needs for 2021 through the 2020 season.
    A one way flight home?

  22. #97
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,427
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Having watched both, neither would be a particularly good signing.

    But the lack of forward planning with the squad has left us in a position very similar to where we were under Cunningham. We're going to have to sign some utter dross just to fill first team spots at this rate. Graham and Tamou don't fall into that category, but neither is a great signing.
    It doesn’t have to be that way though, we don’t have to release loads of players at once. Thompson will obviously need replacing and I think Taia will more than likely retire. Everyone else is good enough to do another season though and we can change the squad gradually over a couple of years rather than doing it all at once.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  23. #98
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,664
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Lots of other super league teams in the same boat, not really any good British youngsters coming through, so we are not alone with a quality forward pack in the next 2 years.
    I was thinking this the other day. Then you look at the NRL over the last few years with Turbo, Addo-Carr, Wighton, Croft, it's pretty scary
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  24. #99
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I was thinking this the other day. Then you look at the NRL over the last few years with Turbo, Addo-Carr, Wighton, Croft, it's pretty scary
    We're starting to reap what we've sown in regards to player development. IE, it's mainly been shit apart from a few clubs.

  25. #100
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,310
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    It doesn’t have to be that way though, we don’t have to release loads of players at once. Thompson will obviously need replacing and I think Taia will more than likely retire. Everyone else is good enough to do another season though and we can change the squad gradually over a couple of years rather than doing it all at once.
    Exactly. Who do we really have to fear? The daunting ‘potenshul’ of Hull FC and their 5th place finishes? Warrington and their Leagueless 65 years? The reality is that leaves Wigan who are wont be any further ahead of us and Leeds who are also rebuilding. Saddened may want to slate the club and wet his knickers every week because say, Hull had a decent win at Huddersfield but the reality is tge League is poor in quality and many teams will be looking inwards as opposed a ton of options elsewhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •