Jungle Out There Banner
Results 1 to 25 of 120

Thread: James Tamou

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,573
    Rep Power
    24

    Default James Tamou

    According to tomorrow’s League Express, we are already in talks with him for next year onwards.

    For anyone not au fait with the NRL, he’s a prop who has previously played for both NSW and Australia. The downside is he’ll be 32 by the start of next season.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  2. #2

  3. #3
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    According to tomorrow’s League Express, we are already in talks with him for next year onwards.

    For anyone not au fait with the NRL, he’s a prop who has previously played for both NSW and Australia. The downside is he’ll be 32 by the start of next season.
    Couldn't argue with that if we signed him. Still think we could get 2 seasons out of him
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  4. #4
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Graham would be my 1st choice but still be happy with him.

  5. #5
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Graham would be my 1st choice but still be happy with him.
    If we are going for experience, would rather get someone a few years younger.

  6. #6
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,811
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Stood next to him once he was huge! We've had some great value out of signing props of similar age in the past, Ward, Anderson, Britt and Fairleigh to name a few. I think he could be a great signing

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,148
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Stood next to him once he was huge! We've had some great value out of signing props of similar age in the past, Ward, Anderson, Britt and Fairleigh to name a few. I think he could be a great signing

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    We also signed Josh Perry.

  8. #8
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,996
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Definitely wouldn't say no. 32 isn't a bad age these days - surely we'd get at least a couple of seasons out of him. Quality player with a serious test heritage.

  9. #9
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,811
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    We also signed Josh Perry.
    The only one of the names nentioned who dislocated his tibia before playing a game for us.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,280
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    We also signed Josh Perry.
    To be fair, nobody thought it was a bad signing beforehand. He’d ripped it up for Manly and looked a top forward. Got injured and it just didn’t happen for him here, but I can’t argue with us going for him based on what he’d done to that point.

  11. #11
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,144
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Tamou at 6' 5" and 17.5 stones is the size we want with a similar build to Walmsley. According to the NRL data he had a couple of seasons were he was the top metre muncher for a prop, sounds as though his game is similar to Jason Cayless if that is accurate then it could be a good signing for us.

  12. #12
    In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tamou at 6' 5" and 17.5 stones is the size we want with a similar build to Walmsley. According to the NRL data he had a couple of seasons were he was the top metre muncher for a prop, sounds as though his game is similar to Jason Cayless if that is accurate then it could be a good signing for us.
    If we could sign anyone as good as Jason Cayless we’d have done fantastic. Cayless was in his prime though when we signed him, Tamou reached his best level a good few years ago but he’s still a fearsome prop.

    You never know how NRL forwards will do over here now. Certainly a big name who has been a very good prop over the years if we do sign him I just hope he’s still got some energy and power. Also let’s not buy 3,000 face masks a la ‘The Wrecking Ball’

  13. #13
    Starting A Programme Collection Mike Stephenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    723
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tamou at 6' 5" and 17.5 stones is the size we want with a similar build to Walmsley. According to the NRL data he had a couple of seasons were he was the top metre muncher for a prop,
    He was a standout for The Cowboys and when he went to Penrith and played in the 9's a few years back now, he still looked very mobile for such a big body, which is his strength.

    Whether the interest is still there post COVID-19 from both sides remains to be seen- really interesting to see if the money is still there and of course if players are prepared to travel to the other side of the world, being away from their family etc.

    Plus if the Saints are looking to do the deal on the recommendation of the current coach, then that's another consideration. Things weren't going well prior to the season being suspended let's not forget.


    Regards,

    STEVO

  14. #14
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,148
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    To be fair, nobody thought it was a bad signing beforehand. He’d ripped it up for Manly and looked a top forward. Got injured and it just didn’t happen for him here, but I can’t argue with us going for him based on what he’d done to thahttp://forums.redvee.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=790962t point.
    Aye, I'm just a bit wary about signing Aussie forwards in their 30's after that disaster but you're right, there was no reason to doubt him before he arrived.

  15. #15
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,059
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Looking at the off contract props in super league and the NRL Tamou is the best of the bunch. He’s big, he’s mobile and he’s had a good injury record in the last few seasons. Signing a 31 year old Aussie is clearly not the ideal situation but we have a massive hole to fill with Thompson leaving. There’s still a touch of PTSD over the Josh Perry signing amongst saints fans but, as has been pointed out, on paper he was an excellent signing. Unfortunately injury circumstances ruined his Saints career but there’s potential for that to happen whoever you sign.

    Personally I think it would be an excellent signing. Great role model for the young guys in our pack and would be one of the best props in super league.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  16. #16
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,059
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Worth a read for anyone wanting to know more about our potential new signing.

    https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...n1m7n28bgzu3q6
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  17. #17
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chiang Rai Thailand
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Worth a read for anyone wanting to know more about our potential new signing.

    https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...n1m7n28bgzu3q6
    Thanks .If that is the type of man we are getting plus 6'5" & 17 stone he will do me .

  18. #18
    WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    548
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Why do we need him? What about Jammer or Watts forget this guy on a pension top up with no loyalty. We need to have a clear out and sign some decent players we are stale. Amor, ashworth, taia list goes on they are done and Louie.

  19. #19
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,573
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Why do we need him? What about Jammer or Watts forget this guy on a pension top up with no loyalty. We need to have a clear out and sign some decent players we are stale. Amor, ashworth, taia list goes on they are done and Louie.
    So you state that Amor, Ashworth and Louie are done but question why we need Tamou.

    You want us to sign some “decent” players but don’t like the idea of a NRL regular who has represented Australia and NSW numerous times.

    You accuse Tamou of being on a pension top up but want us to sign James Graham who is 2 years older?

    You claim we are “stale,” just 6 months after cruising to the title?

    Nice to see this lockdown hasn’t changed you Col. You’re still spouting absolute nonsense.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  20. #20
    WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    548
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    No the facts..... we signed nobody so the players have no competition. Add Grace to that too. It's a pension top up just like Inglis at wire. Graham would give 100% and increase revenue. Facts.

  21. #21
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Why do we need him? What about Jammer or Watts forget this guy on a pension top up with no loyalty. We need to have a clear out and sign some decent players we are stale. Amor, ashworth, taia list goes on they are done and Louie.
    Got to respectfully disagree there Col. As much as I love Jammer, I really do think he is a long way past his best.

    Tamou for me is coming towards the back end of his career but he is a few years younger & still churning up the metres. I think we would get 2 good seasons out of him & I think it would be a good move.

    If it didn't work out if we signed him, then I'll hold my hands up. We need a quality replacement for Thompson, a big prop with a big engine. I'd much rather get a late 20s English prop or one of the 2 young lads at Wigan, or Liam Watts. None of that will happen so I think Tamou is a good, viable option for Saints at this stage
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  22. #22
    WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    548
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Got to respectfully disagree there Col. As much as I love Jammer, I really do think he is a long way past his best.

    Tamou for me is coming towards the back end of his career but he is a few years younger & still churning up the metres. I think we would get 2 good seasons out of him & I think it would be a good move.

    If it didn't work out if we signed him, then I'll hold my hands up. We need a quality replacement for Thompson, a big prop with a big engine. I'd much rather get a late 20s English prop or one of the 2 young lads at Wigan, or Liam Watts. None of that will happen so I think Tamou is a good, viable option for Saints at this stage
    Fair play, you will know more about him than me I just think we need to freshen it up a bit. Any news when a likely return will be happening?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •