Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: James Tamou

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default James Tamou

According to tomorrow’s League Express, we are already in talks with him for next year onwards.

For anyone not au fait with the NRL, he’s a prop who has previously played for both NSW and Australia. The downside is he’ll be 32 by the start of next season.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    According to tomorrow’s League Express, we are already in talks with him for next year onwards.

For anyone not au fait with the NRL, he’s a prop who has previously played for both NSW and Australia. The downside is he’ll be 32 by the start of next season.
    Couldn't argue with that if we signed him. Still think we could get 2 seasons out of him

Banned

Graham would be my 1st choice but still be happy with him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Stood next to him once he was huge! We've had some great value out of signing props of similar age in the past, Ward, Anderson, Britt and Fairleigh to name a few. I think he could be a great signing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Graham would be my 1st choice but still be happy with him.
    If we are going for experience, would rather get someone a few years younger.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Stood next to him once he was huge! We've had some great value out of signing props of similar age in the past, Ward, Anderson, Britt and Fairleigh to name a few. I think he could be a great signing

We also signed Josh Perry.

Definitely wouldn't say no. 32 isn't a bad age these days - surely we'd get at least a couple of seasons out of him. Quality player with a serious test heritage.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    The only one of the names nentioned who dislocated his tibia before playing a game for us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    To be fair, nobody thought it was a bad signing beforehand. He’d ripped it up for Manly and looked a top forward. Got injured and it just didn’t happen for him here, but I can’t argue with us going for him based on what he’d done to that point.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Tamou at 6' 5" and 17.5 stones is the size we want with a similar build to Walmsley. According to the NRL data he had a couple of seasons were he was the top metre muncher for a prop, sounds as though his game is similar to Jason Cayless if that is accurate then it could be a good signing for us.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tamou at 6' 5" and 17.5 stones is the size we want with a similar build to Walmsley. According to the NRL data he had a couple of seasons were he was the top metre muncher for a prop, sounds as though his game is similar to Jason Cayless if that is accurate then it could be a good signing for us.
    If we could sign anyone as good as Jason Cayless we’d have done fantastic. Cayless was in his prime though when we signed him, Tamou reached his best level a good few years ago but he’s still a fearsome prop.

You never know how NRL forwards will do over here now. Certainly a big name who has been a very good prop over the years if we do sign him I just hope he’s still got some energy and power. Also let’s not buy 3,000 face masks a la ‘The Wrecking Ball’

Tamou is probably keen to have a re-match with Mitch Garbutt................(or not).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I just hope we go for a 2 year deal with an option in our favour for a 3rd. He could be very good but if not or if he is injured, I wouldn't want a big money anchor around our necks.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

I don't really know much about him, but what I would be concerned with is the age of our pack over the next few years. We haven't really refreshed any of our forwards for several seasons, Lees and Knowles have grown as players, so there wasn't really need to bring in from outside. But Roby, Amor, LMS, Taia are all mid thirties, Peyroux early thirties, Walmsley just turned 30, not sure adding another player in the same age bracket is the way to go.

We don't want to be in a position where we are needing to replace 3 or 4 of them in the same season, as it never works to make all the changes at once.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    To be fair, nobody thought it was a bad signing beforehand. He’d ripped it up for Manly and looked a top forward. Got injured and it just didn’t happen for him here, but I can’t argue with us going for him based on what he’d done to thahttp://forums.redvee.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=790962t point.
    Aye, I'm just a bit wary about signing Aussie forwards in their 30's after that disaster but you're right, there was no reason to doubt him before he arrived.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I don't really know much about him, but what I would be concerned with is the age of our pack over the next few years. We haven't really refreshed any of our forwards for several seasons, Lees and Knowles have grown as players, so there wasn't really need to bring in from outside. But Roby, Amor, LMS, Taia are all mid thirties, Peyroux early thirties, Walmsley just turned 30, not sure adding another player in the same age bracket is the way to go.

We don't want to be in a position where we are needing to replace 3 or 4 of them in the same season, as it never works to make all the changes at once.
    Its going to be a problem for most Superleague clubs, we've not going that many British props coming through the system, I would expect for the 2021 season we would need 4 new players in the pack.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tamou at 6' 5" and 17.5 stones is the size we want with a similar build to Walmsley. According to the NRL data he had a couple of seasons were he was the top metre muncher for a prop,
    He was a standout for The Cowboys and when he went to Penrith and played in the 9's a few years back now, he still looked very mobile for such a big body, which is his strength.

Whether the interest is still there post COVID-19 from both sides remains to be seen- really interesting to see if the money is still there and of course if players are prepared to travel to the other side of the world, being away from their family etc.

Plus if the Saints are looking to do the deal on the recommendation of the current coach, then that's another consideration. Things weren't going well prior to the season being suspended let's not forget.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand

I’m happy to be proven wrong but signing prop forwards the wrong side of 30 from the NRL is not an avenue I’d like to go down.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’m happy to be proven wrong but signing prop forwards the wrong side of 30 from the NRL is not an avenue I’d like to go down.
    Bit harsh. David Fairleigh & Darren Britt were on their 30s and they were excellent for us.

There's always a risk with NRL signings. Some come with a good reputation and deliver whilst others are a disaster. Age doesn't concern me too much as long as they are still delivering and are coming over here committed rather than a final pay day. It's for Saints to do their due diligence and to make sure he'd be coming for the right reasons.

I've not watched alot of NRL in recent years but he was playing SOO and for Australia a few years back so the pedigree is there. I've also checked his stats on the Penrith website and his average metres and tackle stats are very good.

Last season for example he played 24 games, 775 tackles made, 33 missed, 3076 metres made (average 128m per game) and 40 tackle breaks. That's not the sign of a bloke slowing down.

His stats can be found here https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/t...s/james-tamou/
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Looking at the off contract props in super league and the NRL Tamou is the best of the bunch. He’s big, he’s mobile and he’s had a good injury record in the last few seasons. Signing a 31 year old Aussie is clearly not the ideal situation but we have a massive hole to fill with Thompson leaving. There’s still a touch of PTSD over the Josh Perry signing amongst saints fans but, as has been pointed out, on paper he was an excellent signing. Unfortunately injury circumstances ruined his Saints career but there’s potential for that to happen whoever you sign.

Personally I think it would be an excellent signing. Great role model for the young guys in our pack and would be one of the best props in super league.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Bit harsh. David Fairleigh & Darren Britt were on their 30s and they were excellent for us.

There's always a risk with NRL signings. Some come with a good reputation and deliver whilst others are a disaster. Age doesn't concern me too much as long as they are still delivering and are coming over here committed rather than a final pay day. It's for Saints to do their due diligence and to make sure he'd be coming for the right reasons.

I've not watched alot of NRL in recent years but he was playing SOO and for Australia a few years back so the pedigree is there. I've also checked his stats on the Penrith website and his average metres and tackle stats are very good.

Last season for example he played 24 games, 775 tackles made, 33 missed, 3076 metres made (average 128m per game) and 40 tackle breaks. That's not the sign of a bloke slowing down.

His stats can be found here https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/t...s/james-tamou/
    What? Eighteen, nineteen years ago?! Don’t you think the NRL has evolved since then? I cannot think of many props that have moved over here past the age of 30 that have done anything in the past few years.

Josh Perry’s pedigree was good. 200+ appearances in the NRL, rep honours with Country, NSW and Australia to boot.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    What? Eighteen, nineteen years ago?! Don’t you think the NRL has evolved since then? I cannot think of many props that have moved over here past the age of 30 that have done anything in the past few years.

Josh Perry’s pedigree was good. 200+ appearances in the NRL, rep honours with Country, NSW and Australia to boot.
    I’m also surprised no one has mentioned Laffranchi who I thought was dreadfully average for what would have been a significant contract. The Perry and Laffranchi signings are more recent than Britt, Fairleigh etc and the back room has changed since then. being churlish you could also throw in the distinctly moderate Flannery notwithstanding he was a back-rower (though to some he was ok because he ‘ran good lines’ or did the ‘little things well’ etc lol).

Starting A Programme Collection Red_V_Roger's Avatar
    Peregian Springs, (near Noosa) Queensland

James Tamou got done for drink driving in Townsville in 2013, three hours after my wife got a kiss off him in the clubhouse after that night's game. Ha Ha... I always said she drives men to drink. But he's a good player.
    Gone Walkabout...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I’m also surprised no one has mentioned Laffranchi who I thought was dreadfully average for what would have been a significant contract. The Perry and Laffranchi signings are more recent than Britt, Fairleigh etc and the back room has changed since then. being churlish you could also throw in the distinctly moderate Flannery notwithstanding he was a back-rower (though to some he was ok because he ‘ran good lines’ or did the ‘little things well’ etc lol).
    Chris Flannery was 26/27 when we signed him which kinda proves my point that age isn't the key factor in signing NRL players. Saints and other clubs have had NRL flops of different ages, whilst some of the most successful signings that have come over have been in their 30s. Look at Steve Menzies as another example, Darren Smith when he played for us. All well into their 30s but offered plenty to SL.

The key is signing a player still playing well, someone with good characteristics and someone committed to coming over here and playing.

I'm not saying James Tamou will be a success if we sign him but his stats suggests he's not a player going downhill at the moment.

Replacing Luke Thompson is an almost impossible job and there aren't many British candidates that stand out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste