Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: James Tamou

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Chris Flannery was 26/27 when we signed him which kinda proves my point that age isn't the key factor in signing NRL players. Saints and other clubs have had NRL flops of different ages, whilst some of the most successful signings that have come over have been in their 30s. Look at Steve Menzies as another example, Darren Smith when he played for us. All well into their 30s but offered plenty to SL.

The key is signing a player still playing well, someone with good characteristics and someone committed to coming over here and playing.

I'm not saying James Tamou will be a success if we sign him but his stats suggests he's not a player going downhill at the moment.

Replacing Luke Thompson is an almost impossible job and there aren't many British candidates that stand out.
    Agree completely.

Tamou would be an excellent signing for us.

One of the top props in the NRL for a long time.

Banned

Has a fine, well established beard does Tamou. Reminds me of me with smaller arms.

Default James Tamou

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    What? Eighteen, nineteen years ago?! Don’t you think the NRL has evolved since then? I cannot think of many props that have moved over here past the age of 30 that have done anything in the past few years.

Josh Perry’s pedigree was good. 200+ appearances in the NRL, rep honours with Country, NSW and Australia to boot.
    That has got as much to do with the relative financial positions of the NRL and SL over the last 15 or so years as anything else. More recent players of Fairleigh and Britt’s standing would likely have been just as successful over here at the end of their careers, but they just weren’t coming over as it wasn’t financially worthwhile. That seems to have been changing slightly over the last couple of years thanks to the marquee rule.

I think you also have to accept that with any signing, overseas or domestic, there’s an element of risk. Sometimes you sign a good player and it just doesn’t work out. I don’t think that’s a reason to stop signing good players, though, and Tamou is definitely one of those.

The other thing to consider is what the alternatives are. I don’t see anyone knocking about in SL who is going to be anything like a suitable replacement.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    That has got as much to do with the relative financial positions of the NRL and SL over the last 15 or so years as anything else. More recent players of Fairleigh and Britt’s standing would likely have been just as successful over here at the end of their careers, but they just weren’t coming over as it wasn’t financially worthwhile. That seems to have been changing slightly over the last couple of years thanks to the marquee rule.

I think you also have to accept that with any signing, overseas or domestic, there’s an element of risk. Sometimes you sign a good player and it just doesn’t work out. I don’t think that’s a reason to stop signing good players, though, and Tamou is definitely one of those.

The other thing to consider is what the alternatives are. I don’t see anyone knocking about in SL who is going to be anything like a suitable replacement.
    I think that's the main point to be honest, there's no one good enough and available. I don't know a great deal about Tamou but what I've read on here and elsewhere he certainly sounds an ideal signing.

Tamou isn't the player he was at North Queensland. I still think props are at their best in there early 30's but there are exceptions where the NRL has broken down their bodies.

I would put money on Tamou being an Anthony Lafranchi quality signing. Pretty solid but likely to fade near the end. As long as we don't break the bank on him it should be a reasonable signing.

The plan surely needs to be we need an experienced quality prop like Tamou and a good young prop to fill the void when he starts to fade out. Laffranchi and Thompson worked out pretty well, with Thompson taking over in 2014.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Tamou isn't the player he was at North Queensland. I still think props are at their best in there early 30's but there are exceptions where the NRL has broken down their bodies.

I would put money on Tamou being an Anthony Lafranchi quality signing. Pretty solid but likely to fade near the end. As long as we don't break the bank on him it should be a reasonable signing.

The plan surely needs to be we need an experienced quality prop like Tamou and a good young prop to fill the void when he starts to fade out. Laffranchi and Thompson worked out pretty well, with Thompson taking over in 2014.
    Disagree. Laffranchi was dreadfully average and took up a wedge of cap space. I do agree it’s highly likely Tamou isn’t the player people recall. Unfortunately the commercial strength of the UK game is in the toilet so every NRL signing is a risk these days; Saints come up with rocks or diamonds in recent years.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

What I remember of both Laffranchi and Flannery was that they were solid 7/10 players that never really had bad games...they just never had outstanding memorable games either. I suppose it's what do we need for the team and what are our expectations are too. Also taking into account how much £££ of the cap we invest in them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

The numbers that Blobby posted earlier are pretty impressive though: averaging well over 100m per game and totalling over 40 tackle busts. That doesn't sound much like Laffranchi to me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    The numbers that Blobby posted earlier are pretty impressive though: averaging well over 100m per game and totalling over 40 tackle busts. That doesn't sound much like Laffranchi to me.
    It does look as though he is consistent on making metres which is ideal to replace Thompson's go forward. At the height of Tamou's career apparently he was known as a bit of an enforcer, being quite mobile he did long minutes and maybe that was one of the reasons he was made Captain.

Penrith have had a bit of a clear out for 2020 and have offloaded 3 other older experienced players, according to reports Cleary wants a much younger team for the clubs future.

For Tamou he has had a nerve injury in his neck similar to Walmsley so I would hope our club would check that out, in saying that he has more or less played 24 games per season for the last 10 years.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Bit harsh. David Fairleigh & Darren Britt were on their 30s and they were excellent for us.

There's always a risk with NRL signings. Some come with a good reputation and deliver whilst others are a disaster. Age doesn't concern me too much as long as they are still delivering and are coming over here committed rather than a final pay day. It's for Saints to do their due diligence and to make sure he'd be coming for the right reasons.

I've not watched alot of NRL in recent years but he was playing SOO and for Australia a few years back so the pedigree is there. I've also checked his stats on the Penrith website and his average metres and tackle stats are very good.

Last season for example he played 24 games, 775 tackles made, 33 missed, 3076 metres made (average 128m per game) and 40 tackle breaks. That's not the sign of a bloke slowing down.

His stats can be found here https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/t...s/james-tamou/
    Stats are not the be all and end all, but over a season they are a pretty good indicator. From the stats you have posted he looks as good a FR as we could get, If his interest and drive are still there we have probably done OK.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    What I remember of both Laffranchi and Flannery was that they were solid 7/10 players that never really had bad games...they just never had outstanding memorable games either. I suppose it's what do we need for the team and what are our expectations are too. Also taking into account how much £££ of the cap we invest in them too.
    I think you're be generous - I wouldn't ever have rated Laffranchi as 7/10 he was BOGG AVERAGE and when we extended his deal I was disgusted!

Banned

Around that time we lost our way on the field. The new stadium was all consuming and we ended up with a journeyman type team. I believe it was to our detrement getting to those grand finals at that time. It was a bang average few years and we forgot how to win cups.

In The South Stand

He's an out and out prop who constantly performs. We are not putting a lightweight former 2nd rower there so comparisons to Lafranchi are off the mark

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    He's an out and out prop who constantly performs. We are not putting a lightweight former 2nd rower there so comparisons to Lafranchi are off the mark
    Fair shout. Doesn't change Laffranchi though BOGG AVERAGE ��

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    Fair shout. Doesn't change Laffranchi though BOGG AVERAGE ��
    Can't argue with that,back in the square peg for round holes signing period

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Worth a read for anyone wanting to know more about our potential new signing.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...n1m7n28bgzu3q6
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Worth a read for anyone wanting to know more about our potential new signing.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...n1m7n28bgzu3q6
    Thanks .If that is the type of man we are getting plus 6'5" & 17 stone he will do me .

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Why do we need him? What about Jammer or Watts forget this guy on a pension top up with no loyalty. We need to have a clear out and sign some decent players we are stale. Amor, ashworth, taia list goes on they are done and Louie.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Why do we need him? What about Jammer or Watts forget this guy on a pension top up with no loyalty. We need to have a clear out and sign some decent players we are stale. Amor, ashworth, taia list goes on they are done and Louie.
    So you state that Amor, Ashworth and Louie are done but question why we need Tamou.

You want us to sign some “decent” players but don’t like the idea of a NRL regular who has represented Australia and NSW numerous times.

You accuse Tamou of being on a pension top up but want us to sign James Graham who is 2 years older?

You claim we are “stale,” just 6 months after cruising to the title?

Nice to see this lockdown hasn’t changed you Col. You’re still spouting absolute nonsense.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

No the facts..... we signed nobody so the players have no competition. Add Grace to that too. It's a pension top up just like Inglis at wire. Graham would give 100% and increase revenue. Facts.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Not taking the bait Giraffe. Yes it's been nice the lockdown good weather, plenty BBQ and the NRL on next week

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Got to respectfully disagree there Col. As much as I love Jammer, I really do think he is a long way past his best.

Tamou for me is coming towards the back end of his career but he is a few years younger & still churning up the metres. I think we would get 2 good seasons out of him & I think it would be a good move.

If it didn't work out if we signed him, then I'll hold my hands up. We need a quality replacement for Thompson, a big prop with a big engine. I'd much rather get a late 20s English prop or one of the 2 young lads at Wigan, or Liam Watts. None of that will happen so I think Tamou is a good, viable option for Saints at this stage

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Got to respectfully disagree there Col. As much as I love Jammer, I really do think he is a long way past his best.

Tamou for me is coming towards the back end of his career but he is a few years younger & still churning up the metres. I think we would get 2 good seasons out of him & I think it would be a good move.

If it didn't work out if we signed him, then I'll hold my hands up. We need a quality replacement for Thompson, a big prop with a big engine. I'd much rather get a late 20s English prop or one of the 2 young lads at Wigan, or Liam Watts. None of that will happen so I think Tamou is a good, viable option for Saints at this stage
    Fair play, you will know more about him than me I just think we need to freshen it up a bit. Any news when a likely return will be happening?

In The South Stand

Big off season for us this and probably the worst possible time to do it. I'm sure the Coronavirus issue will make it even harder to get signings from the NRL and the ongoing rumblings of a cap reduction could complicate things even more. It just shows how not signing anyone last season was just a mistake. It left the squad stale as has been mentioned and it's left a big rebuilding job to do, which has then been made worse by Thompson's decision to leave.

We're going to have to replace Taia, Amor, Louie, Thompson and Peyroux unless any of them sign new deals aren't we? That's a big list, plus Roby is either going to retire this season or next depending on how he's feeling. Could be left having to change every forward in our squad bar big Al and Matty Lees in one off season. I'm sure some of those mentioned will/have signed new deals but that's a big ask they've left themselves with whether it's this season or next.

If the cap reduction is voted in, the likes of Warrington will have committed to the £2.1m plus marquee on top, so we really need to get going if there's a chance of that getting voted in. I suspect Eammon is one of the more prudent owners, so is perhaps putting feelers out at this stage whilst we wait for confirmation of where the sport is financially and how much revenue and cash has been lost. Warrington are also rumoured to be signing a second rower to replace BMM, so it doesn't seem like they are waiting around to be tied down to £1.8m. The old Wigan way of guaranteeing themselves an exemption for existing contracts.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

I would re sign Dom and Louie on peanuts that's it