Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: James Tamou

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default James Tamou

According to tomorrow’s League Express, we are already in talks with him for next year onwards.

For anyone not au fait with the NRL, he’s a prop who has previously played for both NSW and Australia. The downside is he’ll be 32 by the start of next season.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    According to tomorrow’s League Express, we are already in talks with him for next year onwards.

For anyone not au fait with the NRL, he’s a prop who has previously played for both NSW and Australia. The downside is he’ll be 32 by the start of next season.
    Couldn't argue with that if we signed him. Still think we could get 2 seasons out of him

Banned

Graham would be my 1st choice but still be happy with him.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Graham would be my 1st choice but still be happy with him.
    If we are going for experience, would rather get someone a few years younger.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Stood next to him once he was huge! We've had some great value out of signing props of similar age in the past, Ward, Anderson, Britt and Fairleigh to name a few. I think he could be a great signing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Stood next to him once he was huge! We've had some great value out of signing props of similar age in the past, Ward, Anderson, Britt and Fairleigh to name a few. I think he could be a great signing

We also signed Josh Perry.

Definitely wouldn't say no. 32 isn't a bad age these days - surely we'd get at least a couple of seasons out of him. Quality player with a serious test heritage.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    The only one of the names nentioned who dislocated his tibia before playing a game for us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    To be fair, nobody thought it was a bad signing beforehand. He’d ripped it up for Manly and looked a top forward. Got injured and it just didn’t happen for him here, but I can’t argue with us going for him based on what he’d done to that point.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Tamou at 6' 5" and 17.5 stones is the size we want with a similar build to Walmsley. According to the NRL data he had a couple of seasons were he was the top metre muncher for a prop, sounds as though his game is similar to Jason Cayless if that is accurate then it could be a good signing for us.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tamou at 6' 5" and 17.5 stones is the size we want with a similar build to Walmsley. According to the NRL data he had a couple of seasons were he was the top metre muncher for a prop, sounds as though his game is similar to Jason Cayless if that is accurate then it could be a good signing for us.
    If we could sign anyone as good as Jason Cayless we’d have done fantastic. Cayless was in his prime though when we signed him, Tamou reached his best level a good few years ago but he’s still a fearsome prop.

You never know how NRL forwards will do over here now. Certainly a big name who has been a very good prop over the years if we do sign him I just hope he’s still got some energy and power. Also let’s not buy 3,000 face masks a la ‘The Wrecking Ball’

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tamou at 6' 5" and 17.5 stones is the size we want with a similar build to Walmsley. According to the NRL data he had a couple of seasons were he was the top metre muncher for a prop,
    He was a standout for The Cowboys and when he went to Penrith and played in the 9's a few years back now, he still looked very mobile for such a big body, which is his strength.

Whether the interest is still there post COVID-19 from both sides remains to be seen- really interesting to see if the money is still there and of course if players are prepared to travel to the other side of the world, being away from their family etc.

Plus if the Saints are looking to do the deal on the recommendation of the current coach, then that's another consideration. Things weren't going well prior to the season being suspended let's not forget.

Regards,

STEVO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    To be fair, nobody thought it was a bad signing beforehand. He’d ripped it up for Manly and looked a top forward. Got injured and it just didn’t happen for him here, but I can’t argue with us going for him based on what he’d done to thahttp://forums.redvee.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=790962t point.
    Aye, I'm just a bit wary about signing Aussie forwards in their 30's after that disaster but you're right, there was no reason to doubt him before he arrived.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Looking at the off contract props in super league and the NRL Tamou is the best of the bunch. He’s big, he’s mobile and he’s had a good injury record in the last few seasons. Signing a 31 year old Aussie is clearly not the ideal situation but we have a massive hole to fill with Thompson leaving. There’s still a touch of PTSD over the Josh Perry signing amongst saints fans but, as has been pointed out, on paper he was an excellent signing. Unfortunately injury circumstances ruined his Saints career but there’s potential for that to happen whoever you sign.

Personally I think it would be an excellent signing. Great role model for the young guys in our pack and would be one of the best props in super league.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Worth a read for anyone wanting to know more about our potential new signing.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...n1m7n28bgzu3q6
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Worth a read for anyone wanting to know more about our potential new signing.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...n1m7n28bgzu3q6
    Thanks .If that is the type of man we are getting plus 6'5" & 17 stone he will do me .

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Why do we need him? What about Jammer or Watts forget this guy on a pension top up with no loyalty. We need to have a clear out and sign some decent players we are stale. Amor, ashworth, taia list goes on they are done and Louie.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Why do we need him? What about Jammer or Watts forget this guy on a pension top up with no loyalty. We need to have a clear out and sign some decent players we are stale. Amor, ashworth, taia list goes on they are done and Louie.
    So you state that Amor, Ashworth and Louie are done but question why we need Tamou.

You want us to sign some “decent” players but don’t like the idea of a NRL regular who has represented Australia and NSW numerous times.

You accuse Tamou of being on a pension top up but want us to sign James Graham who is 2 years older?

You claim we are “stale,” just 6 months after cruising to the title?

Nice to see this lockdown hasn’t changed you Col. You’re still spouting absolute nonsense.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

No the facts..... we signed nobody so the players have no competition. Add Grace to that too. It's a pension top up just like Inglis at wire. Graham would give 100% and increase revenue. Facts.

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Got to respectfully disagree there Col. As much as I love Jammer, I really do think he is a long way past his best.

Tamou for me is coming towards the back end of his career but he is a few years younger & still churning up the metres. I think we would get 2 good seasons out of him & I think it would be a good move.

If it didn't work out if we signed him, then I'll hold my hands up. We need a quality replacement for Thompson, a big prop with a big engine. I'd much rather get a late 20s English prop or one of the 2 young lads at Wigan, or Liam Watts. None of that will happen so I think Tamou is a good, viable option for Saints at this stage

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Got to respectfully disagree there Col. As much as I love Jammer, I really do think he is a long way past his best.

Tamou for me is coming towards the back end of his career but he is a few years younger & still churning up the metres. I think we would get 2 good seasons out of him & I think it would be a good move.

If it didn't work out if we signed him, then I'll hold my hands up. We need a quality replacement for Thompson, a big prop with a big engine. I'd much rather get a late 20s English prop or one of the 2 young lads at Wigan, or Liam Watts. None of that will happen so I think Tamou is a good, viable option for Saints at this stage
    Fair play, you will know more about him than me I just think we need to freshen it up a bit. Any news when a likely return will be happening?