Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Code Breakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

Default Code Breakers

For those of you who didn't see it 1st time around it's been shown again on Sunday 17th May at 10:30 p.m on BBC1 Wales. It's a must see for any RL fan IMO.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...c-this-weekend

Enjoy.

And just to make it more special for you all, a very, very young Rogues is on it in almost the last video clip as Boston scores, I'm on the ringside with mam and dad.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    For those of you who didn't see it 1st time around it's been shown again on Sunday 17th May at 10:30 p.m on BBC1 Wales. It's a must see for any RL fan IMO.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...c-this-weekend

Enjoy.

And just to make it more special for you all, a very, very young Rogues is on it in almost the last video clip as Boston scores, I'm on the ringside with mam and dad.
    Just wondering if Dennis Maddox appears in here so where Dennis brought 'quite a few' up from the valleys especially to Saints .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Just wondering if Dennis Maddox appears in here so where Dennis brought 'quite a few' up from the valleys especially to Saints .
    I don't think so, but can't really say for certain. It's a not miss programme though and shows the "hatred" for our game that existed at the time. I think Scott Gibbs and Kel Coslett are interviewed?
    It also showed their "reluctance" to pick black players!!

Banned

The hatred against our code is embedded within many in Union. Sale is one organisation that seems to ooze the distain and would wipe Salford and RL from that area of the north

It was interesting to hear Eamon on the podcast speak about this current disaster may affect club Union harder than many perceive. Why we ever allowed them to trademark the word Rugby evades my intelligence levels.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    The hatred against our code is embedded within many in Union. Sale is one organisation that seems to ooze the distain and would wipe Salford and RL from that area of the north

It was interesting to hear Eamon on the podcast speak about this current disaster may affect club Union harder than many perceive. Why we ever allowed them to trademark the word Rugby evades my intelligence levels.
    Obviously no one from the RFL objected, but apart from the obstacles a couple of years ago with one Emirate, I don't think their trademarks are aimed at RL. They have myriads of trademarks worldwide in RU and I think their concern is with Pirating of merchandise, and illegal streaming of games. Trademarks are registered with WIPO whom i have worked with quite a bit, they are a pretty toothless organisation and it would be up the RU or their representative to take any action against RL. The fact that the RFU have never cited the RFL seems to point to the fact that their trademarks are not aimed at us. However I agree with you that we should not have sat back and let that happen, What I am not sure of is, is the word Rugby itself a trademark. RL has numerous trademarks containing the word Rugby throughout many countries.

We need to stop getting our backs up about Union.
    They hold all the establishment links & will always be a much bigger sport.

We need to concentrate on sorting our own sport out.
    1. Max 3 overseas players per club. Toronto best get looking.
    2. Ban anyone from representing England/GB/Wales/Scotland/Ireland if they go to the NRL.
    3. Get some focus & help for these championship and league 1 clubs. Help them develop players & compensate them if their talent gets poached.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Obviously no one from the RFL objected, but apart from the obstacles a couple of years ago with one Emirate, I don't think their trademarks are aimed at RL. They have myriads of trademarks worldwide in RU and I think their concern is with Pirating of merchandise, and illegal streaming of games. Trademarks are registered with WIPO whom i have worked with quite a bit, they are a pretty toothless organisation and it would be up the RU or their representative to take any action against RL. The fact that the RFU have never cited the RFL seems to point to the fact that their trademarks are not aimed at us. However I agree with you that we should not have sat back and let that happen, What I am not sure of is, is the word Rugby itself a trademark. RL has numerous trademarks containing the word Rugby throughout many countries.
    Perhaps the Town of Rugby hold the answers that is where Billy Webb Ellis got fed up being crap at football and took his ball home. The paving flags near Rugby School are adorned with the names of greats from both codes.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I don't think so, but can't really say for certain. It's a not miss programme though and shows the "hatred" for our game that existed at the time. I think Scott Gibbs and Kel Coslett are interviewed?
    It also showed their "reluctance" to pick black players!!
    The black players they mentioned all went north at 17 / 18 and none of them had played even double figures in terms of first class union games.

There is no way with that lack of game they would be anywhere near the welsh test team at that time (wales were up there alongside the best world teams in union at the time) of that period regardless of what colour they were a fact hitt blatantly choose to ignore in her incredibly slanted documentary)

I found squide's video a far better watch tbh

The WRU were and in many ways are a poorly run set up and I have no doubt bias occurred in those days but none of the players she highlighted in that programme can feel aggrieved not to have had a welsh cap they simply did not play enough union to prove themselves.

What her programme did highlight is how badly players were treated once they had gone north and that applied to every one of any colour. I would never defend how they were treated but playing for wales would be the highest honour anyone could get to "go north" and turn your back on that would really upset some people. For me If it's a case of securing your financial future and looking after your family, good luck to them

As for the question would the wru have capped black players back in that era?

I have no idea but union in south wales has always been a working class game much the same as rl is up north in fact both cultures are very similar so if league took to these players , I'm sure union and it's fans would have to and people like boston and Sullivan would have been too good to be ignored by the national selectors.

Union and lge are two different sports, both are great sports and both have great players and great fans.

Both codes can co exist and there doesn't need to be any ill feeling between them
    Last edited by JB1973; 15th July 2020 at 15:58. Reason: .