Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching old games with a fresh pair of

Got A Season Ticket

Default Watching old games with a fresh pair of

I’ve been watching quite a lot of games from days gone by to fill the time and it made me realise that some of the players that I thought were the bees knees back in the day weren’t actually all that good and vice versa.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and which names would you throw into the mix and why??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Travelvocation View Post
    I’ve been watching quite a lot of games from days gone by to fill the time and it made me realise that some of the players that I thought were the bees knees back in the day weren’t actually all that good and vice versa.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and which names would you throw into the mix and why??

I've realised just what a class act Longy was. Took him for granted when we had him

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

There are some that I judged as average but actually looked quite good, when I watched the 1999 season video the players Chris Smith and Paul Aitchison looked decent that season. Paul Newlove stood out more for his master of centre play.

Noooobie

Stand out player for me is Paul Sculthorpe what a player he was, missed to many games through injury. Scully was also a great leader. He had it all for me, could turn s game on his own. Just as he did when he came of the bench against the Broncos to win Saints the WCC and the MOM.

Banned

Interesting was the Joynt effect. He was in my opinion a top player but he was more than that. Goulding was a short term effect Captain, it was all about him. Joynt was a leader and in my opinion the Captaincy diluted through Scully, Long and Kez all three better players than Chris but as Captains not in his league.

I often wonder why the club have seemed to make sure he is kept at arms length.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I've realised just what a class act Longy was. Took him for granted when we had him
    Outstanding. One of the best I've had the pleasure to watch. Along with the left footed God.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Interesting was the Joynt effect. He was in my opinion a top player but he was more than that. Goulding was a short term effect Captain, it was all about him. Joynt was a leader and in my opinion the Captaincy diluted through Scully, Long and Kez all three better players than Chris but as Captains not in his league.

You're absolutely right. Joynt in my opinion is the best captain we've ever had. Just his presence seemed to make us a stronger team. There were lots of occasions when we used to wobble when he wasn't on the field, but when he came back on he seemed to steady the ship.
    No idea why he doesn't seem to be involved much at the club now. Might well be down to his own choice. Lots of players just move on and don't really have much interest being involved once their playing days are over. Others on here might know more about it

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    Stand out player for me is Paul Sculthorpe what a player he was, missed to many games through injury. Scully was also a great leader. He had it all for me, could turn s game on his own. Just as he did when he came of the bench against the Broncos to win Saints the WCC and the MOM.
    Sculthorpe for me, my all time No 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post

A real worker and leader in the middle. I always thought he looked a bit slow and ponderous in the middle, but when he got space he dispelled that theory. Like you I could never understand why we didn't capitalise on his leadership when he retired. I believe he offered and was told no, which seems even more bizarre.

Got A Season Ticket

The one for me so far was one of my childhood heroes, Paul Loughlin. Maybe it’s just the games I’ve watched so far but he’s nowhere near as good as I remember him to be.

Banned

The one for me so far was one of my childhood heroes, Paul Loughlin. Maybe it’s just the games I’ve watched so far but he’s nowhere near as good as I remember him to be.

I have to say, I never thought he was that good, he wasn't a bad player just not as good as some made out. Nice bloke though.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I have to say, I never thought he was that good, he wasn't a bad player just not as good as some made out. Nice bloke though.
    To be fair, at the time Loughlin was as good as any centre in the league, excepting Iro in his Wigan days and perhaps one or two others. I think the problem is that we have been so lucky to have so many world class centres since and are comparing him to them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    To be fair, at the time Loughlin was as good as any centre in the league, excepting Iro in his Wigan days and perhaps one or two others. I think the problem is that we have been so lucky to have so many world class centres since and are comparing him to them.

You're probably right.

Banned

Tell you one thing he could Percival how to pass to his winger

Banned

He could teach Percival a thing or two about to pass to his winger

Got A Season Ticket

That’s what I thought but in the games I’ve watched the timing of his pass was awful, never seemed to draw the player before passing it to the winger.

He’ll always be one player that I have good memories of as a kid though!

Harry Pinner was a player I didn’t appreciate, probably because I was too young. Great vision and hands.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I recently watched our first Grand Final win over Bradford and was struck by the quality of players on both sides, forward seemed a lot bigger.

One other point that struck me regarding the sides in the early Super League era was that most of the players were bought in from other clubs whereas now, due to salary cap, there's more emphasis on lads coming through our own system.

It means that the future success of clubs depends on a good scouting system and a good youth set up.

That’s what I thought but in the games I’ve watched the timing of his pass was awful, never seemed to draw the player before passing it to the winger.

He’ll always be one player that I have good memories of as a kid though!

Harry Pinner was a player I didn’t appreciate, probably because I was too young. Great vision and hands.

Thought Paul Loughlin was a bit inconsistent to be a top centre as mentioned he wasn't really a wingers centre, the best player for that was Billy Benyon always got the ball away just before impact.

Harry Pinner was the nearest thing to a hybrid Sculthorpe/Cunningham a strong mean mongrel type of player with great vision when he broke the line.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thought Paul Loughlin was a bit inconsistent to be a top centre as mentioned he wasn't really a wingers centre, the best player for that was Billy Benyon always got the ball away just before impact.

Harry Pinner was the nearest thing to a hybrid Sculthorpe/Cunningham a strong mean mongrel type of player with great vision when he broke the line.
    From what you say & my dad says, Benyon was a dream for a winger to play outside but he was long before my time.

Best wingers centre I saw was Gidley

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I recently watched our first Grand Final win over Bradford and was struck by the quality of players on both sides, forward seemed a lot bigger.

One other point that struck me regarding the sides in the early Super League era was that most of the players were bought in from other clubs whereas now, due to salary cap, there's more emphasis on lads coming through our own system.

It means that the future success of clubs depends on a good scouting system and a good youth set up.
    What a game that was. Nickle was tremendous that night along with Perelini

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Sculthorpe for me, my all time No 1.

A real worker and leader in the middle. I always thought he looked a bit slow and ponderous in the middle, but when he got space he dispelled that theory. Like you I could never understand why we didn't capitalise on his leadership when he retired. I believe he offered and was told no, which seems even more bizarre.
    If I remember right, Joynty donated all the money from his testimonial to Saint's youth set up. An all round good guy as well as a top player.

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    If I remember right, Joynty donated all the money from his testimonial to Saint's youth set up. An all round good guy as well as a top player.
    He always came across that way. It's a pity the way it's gone, clowns like those on Sky still make money from the game, and Joynt who seemed much more intelligent is never heard from.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I couldn't disagree more. Loughlin was absolutely a wingers centre who ran straight and timed his pass very well. Look at the tries he made for Quirk and the try he created out of nothing for Henderson Gill playing for GB.

He changed as a player when he broke his arm, but before that he was a shoe in for GB. Let's also not forget he's in the top 5 all time point scorers for our club

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Buddy makes a good point. Quirky thought the world of Lockers, saw them in Ulverston more than once when I was in the Town. Personally I never thought Lippy was as good as his legend states.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Loughlin was absolutely a wingers centre who ran straight and timed his pass very well. Look at the tries he made for Quirk and the try he created out of nothing for Henderson Gill playing for GB.

He changed as a player when he broke his arm, but before that he was a shoe in for GB. Let's also not forget he's in the top 5 all time point scorers for our club

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    For me he could have been better he seemed to drop a lot of ball from memory.

As far as winger centres go, off this instant top of my head, my list would be:

1. Billy Benyon
    2. Jamie Lyon
    3. Paul Newlove
    4. Dougy Greenhall
    5. Mal Meninga
    6. Kevin Iro
    7. Paul Loughlin
    8. John Walsh
    9. Scott Gibbs
    10. Mark Percival

Watching the old footage for all round centre play, I would probably nominate Paul Newlove.

For me he could have been better he seemed to drop a lot of ball from memory.

As far as winger centres go, off this instant top of my head, my list would be:

1. Billy Benyon
    2. Jamie Lyon
    3. Paul Newlove
    4. Dougy Greenhall
    5. Mal Meninga
    6. Kevin Iro
    7. Paul Loughlin
    8. John Walsh
    9. Scott Gibbs
    10. Mark Percival

Watching the old footage for all round centre play, I would probably nominate Paul Newlove.
    Newlove, Lyon and Walsh the best centres I have ever seen at Saints