Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: New Euro XIII Competition

Default New Euro XIII Competition

https://www.totalrl.com/new-euro-xii...rts-expansion/

“Application to Euro XIII is open to any domestic club throughout Europe. We already have more than 25 applications from 16 different nations for the 2021 competition and anyone else who wishes to apply still has a short time left to do so. More than one club can apply from a country but the competition will only allow one participant from each nation for 2021."
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Looks interesting,

I assume its just for teams from the developing nations, a Super League team would be too good for it at the moment but maybe a championship team could join it.

Like any other development programme some one needs to commit to it for 10 to 20 yrs to really get it going but too often in RL the towel gets thrown in after a couple of years

The source of the article appears to be the Chasing Kangaroos podcast. It is easy to find on Spotify.

The general idea is that the want to have an 8 team competition with a maximum of 1 team per country. With each team having home grown players.

It is a collaboration of the Italian and Spanish Rugby Leagues. Spain is basically the guy behind Valencia Hurricanes. I think the problem they have is that the RFL are not keen to admit them to league 1 and to be honest it is hard to see how a team made up of Spaniards would be competitive in that league. This seems to have been born out of interest caused by the Featherstone friendly earlier in the year.

I have a few concerns regarding this;

1. This plan does not seem to include the backer of Red Star Belgrade, you would think that any European group should include him given he has already got the Balken Super League https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Super_League. I am sure he would want to be at the centre of such a venture not simply a participant. This smells of infighting before it has started.

2. They seem to be talking about the wrong things. They spent a lot of time talking about their draft system, which in a nutshell is a way of distributing a core of 30+ centrally contracted, club professionals to add a bit of quality and equality to league. To me this is like saying you are going to build a bridge and then start talking about what colour it is going to be. The main thing should be the finances, which they say they have got but are unwilling to say how much and who. Until we find out more "Euro XIII" will be filed next to Castleford/Wakefield's new stadium designs.

In the end there is already a Balken Super League covering 5 countries, so such a competition isn't as ground breaking as it sounds. But, as Toronto has told us, if you have someone backing it financially and they are in it for the long haul then this could happen.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

The guy who runs Red Star Belgrade is right behind the concept, although the article doesn't reference that.
    There is a real passion at Red Star for the club to join the ESL pyramid, but there's also a great deal of realism too, hence then deciding not to enter this year's Challenge Cup.
    The Balkan League is thriving, the addition of teams from Western Europe would be great in my view. From small acorns......
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Pie in the sky nonsense. As if they genuinely think an amateur multi national competition is actually ever going to happen.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Pie in the sky nonsense. As if they genuinely think an amateur multi national competition is actually ever going to happen.
    I don't think the plan is for it to be amateur, i suspect it will be predominantly part-time. The people behind the core 2 or 3 teams seem to have the money.

In the end they need to put their money where their mouths are before we can take this seriously at all.

The reaction of the RLEF is pretty disappointing. They as an organisation are pretty insignificant, there response seems to have come from fear of their own irrelevance being exposed rather than anything else.

As a sport be have an annoying how our sports administrators seems to hound investors away from our sport.

There already is one......check your facts before spouting negative claptrap
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    There already is one......check your facts before spouting negative claptrap
    On this scale? No, there’s not.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

On this scale? No, there’s not.
    Ahhh, changing the goalposts are we?