Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mr Woolf Advice

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    I like Fages, but I think we missed a trick not going for Hastings.
    Whilst I think Hastings is really good, maybe there was a concern he would be gone in a year and we would be lft with no one, especially if Theo decided to go elswhere. That, or hopefully they think Dodd will be ready to step up sometime this year.

Got A Season Ticket Haydock Saint's Avatar

So far under Mr Woolf things have been unimpressive, with perhaps the Roosters game being one of the more positive displays even in defeat.

There have been injuries granted, but our style of play in attack had become very poor.

My worry when Woolf was appointed was that he had worked under Nathan Brown at Newcastle. Whist Brown won a Super League with Saints- we saw some terrible attacking rugby in his tenure. This then went into the Cunningham era and we know what happened between 2015-17.

Woolf did a good job with Tonga - however coaching at international level is different than at club level. At international level you have to coach to the strengths of your players in your squad / talent pool, rather than having a long term playing structure you work to implement over the medium / long term as a club coach. With Tonga Woolf has no other choice but base th team style on attacking rugby utilising the skills the players they already have. At Saints I hope he is not going down the road of imposing a style / system that does not suit the Saints as a club and what the fans want to see. Only time will tell (once we get back to rugby).

In The South Stand

I've already written him off, I'll admit that. Just seen absolutely nothing from him to suggest he'll be a successful club coach on this side of the pond. I just hope we've spent the break looking at the options if it doesn't work out.

I have to admit, I have real and justifiable concerns about his style and tactics as seen so far. If as we suspect, he is intending to have a relatively short spell here and open up a coaching job in the NRL then he will be utilising tactics and methodology that will transfer there.
    Maybe the change in rules for the ruck there will force him to change and adapt his preferred style here, no point playing tactics that will lead to constant set re-starts and game losses there, he wouldn’t impress any Aussie team owners like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    I have to admit, I have real and justifiable concerns about his style and tactics as seen so far. If as we suspect, he is intending to have a relatively short spell here and open up a coaching job in the NRL then he will be utilising tactics and methodology that will transfer there.
    Maybe the change in rules for the ruck there will force him to change and adapt his preferred style here, no point playing tactics that will lead to constant set re-starts and game losses there, he wouldn’t impress any Aussie team owners like that.

Have the changes at the ruck been implemented here?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Have the changes at the ruck been implemented here?
    Not at this time, but he appears to be using tactics that were well established in NRL matches until the rule change, so I’m hoping, maybe without any real justification, that he will adapt to tactics that will work there to show prospective employers he can do it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    Not at this time, but he appears to be using tactics that were well established in NRL matches until the rule change, so I’m hoping, maybe without any real justification, that he will adapt to tactics that will work there to show prospective employers he can do it!

Yeah, I see what you mean but I don't have much confidence in him doing that. It's been said a few times in this thread that hopefully he's used his time wisely and got a different perspective on things, again though, I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I see what you mean but I don't have much confidence in him doing that. It's been said a few times in this thread that hopefully he's used his time wisely and got a different perspective on things, again though, I'm not holding my breath.
    Me neither, sadly! Just like to look at potential positives where I can.

I'm prepared to give him a few games and hope that he has had time to reflect on the performances to date, but I don't hold out any real hope.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm prepared to give him a few games and hope that he has had time to reflect on the performances to date, but I don't hold out any real hope.

I doubt the club would look to do anything before the end of the season, especially as it's become a bit of a farce now anyway.

Just hope he's used this time to reflect on how best to get this team and club back on track - both in effectiveness and playing style. I really hope he has, and goes on to join our other coaching legends.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I doubt the club would look to do anything before the end of the season, especially as it's become a bit of a farce now anyway.

Just hope he's used this time to reflect on how best to get this team and club back on track - both in effectiveness and playing style. I really hope he has, and goes on to join our other coaching legends.
    I agree with both of you.

Starting A Programme Collection

I think you’ll see a different Saints side when the season resumes. All those players that had off season surgery and those that played internationally have had a good few months to recharge the batteries. The disruptive start to the season is in the rear view mirror and all the players should be fit and raring to go.

Personally I hope we follow the NRL “6 to go” as it’s produced some great spectacle up to yet, I like the idea of mucky teams not being able to hold you down and wrestle plus it will really suit us (assuming we play “The Saints Way” )

Hopefully Mr Woolfe will realise that his best way into a head coach job in Aus is to win a Grand Final.... Nathan Brown and Justin are great recent examples....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Personally I hope we follow the NRL “6 to go” as it’s produced some great spectacle up to yet, I like the idea of mucky teams not being able to hold you down and wrestle plus it will really suit us (assuming we play “The Saints Way” )

Hopefully Mr Woolfe will realise that his best way into a head coach job in Aus is to win a Grand Final.... Nathan Brown and Justin are great recent examples....
    It would speed the game up without particularly suiting our tactics up to now this season. Hopefully it will be implemented and force us back into playing the way we are used to.