Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May 1st ooc

Banned

Remember the last coach who tried the 5 drives and a kick tactic

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I know, I watched the Good Friday game from last year a couple of days ago. It's so bloody annoying to see the potential the team has and Woolfe has messed around with that. As I've said previously, I hope he's used this time off to do a re-evaluation of things, we should be almost at full strength and playing on harder pitches by the time we return. I hate to say this but I'm not sure we'll be any different style wise.
    The break has probably saved his job. I fully believe he'd have been sacked by now if the season hadn't stopped. He just doesn't get it. We're not in the NRL, you can't just grind games out and be physical like Tonga do, we haven't got the players they have.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    The break has probably saved his job. I fully believe he'd have been sacked by now if the season hadn't stopped. He just doesn't get it. We're not in the NRL, you can't just grind games out and be physical like Tonga do, we haven't got the players they have.
    It was always going to be a step down after JH left but just how far down is quite alarming. Woolfe seems out of his depth & devoid of idea's. He didn't have to change much but what he has tried to do doesn't seem to be working to the point were the team looked like they weren't collectively playing together for him & lost confidence in themselves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    It was always going to be a step down after JH left but just how far down is quite alarming. Woolfe seems out of his depth & devoid of idea's. He didn't have to change much but what he has tried to do doesn't seem to be working to the point were the team looked like they weren't collectively playing together for him & lost confidence in themselves.
    The thing is, the group of players we have hold a fair bit of sway, they battered everyone out of sight last season barring the bollocks of a cup final and they know they have the fans on side so if they don't like the coach they can force him out fairly easily.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

At a guess the players are spending less time on passing skills and more time on wrestling, I should imagine there is a fair amount of very quiet dissatisfaction on game tactics when most of the outcome for large portions of the game is one man rugby.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    At a guess the players are spending less time on passing skills and more time on wrestling, I should imagine there is a fair amount of very quiet dissatisfaction on game tactics when most of the outcome for large portions of the game is one man rugby.
    It is fact Tiddy. I have a nephew playing in the academy at Saint's who told me after Xmas about the new emphasis on the wrestle in the tackle. Surely he was asked at the interview stage his intentions on what he could bring to the team by the Saints hierarchy? He doesn't seem to have added much but taken away a hell of a lot.

We have played 6 fixtures and had key personnel missing. Are people really seriously talking aboout judging the coach at this juncture?!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    We have played 6 fixtures and had key personnel missing. Are people really seriously talking aboout judging the coach at this juncture?!
    Yes, of course we are. It's what we do.

100 per cent. The alarm bells were well & truly ringing after Cas. The Cunningham era is not so long ago & we really do not want to be going down that road again

Banned

It is fact Tiddy. I have a nephew playing in the academy at Saint's who told me after Xmas about the new emphasis on the wrestle in the tackle. Surely he was asked at the interview stage his intentions on what he could bring to the team by the Saints hierarchy? He doesn't seem to have added much but taken away a hell of a lot.
    Mate of mines son is in the academy and he told me the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    100 per cent. The alarm bells were well & truly ringing after Cas. The Cunningham era is not so long ago & we really do not want to be going down that road again
    I Agree we don't but I really dont think its a fair comparison and especially after so few games. We were awful at Cas for sure.

Banned

I Agree we don't but I really dont think its a fair comparison and especially after so few games. We were awful at Cas for sure.
    You're right in one way but we've been crap style wise so far and there's been nothing to suggest he's going to change it. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You're right in one way but we've been crap style wise so far and there's been nothing to suggest he's going to change it. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it.
    I think he's lost the dressing room. Imagine how the squad felt after last season sweeping the board (apart from Mr Hicks's intervention), why do anything different? Woolfe obviously has his own ideas, but if it ain't wrong don't fix it. We are not a stepping stone for NRL wannabe coaches to cut their teeth on. We are a proud club with proud traditions both in our style of play and our successes. Mr Woolfe should have been briefed on Holbrook's success and been told, more of the same please. The blueprint had been drawn up and tested to destruction, it worked! It was obvious almost from game one and certainly after game six that Woolfe's prferred playing style echoed Cunningham's much more than Holbrook's. It isn't too early to judge that, we could all see it. Me? I'd give Ian Watson a call!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I think he's lost the dressing room. Imagine how the squad felt after last season sweeping the board (apart from Mr Hicks's intervention), why do anything different? Woolfe obviously has his own ideas, but if it ain't wrong don't fix it. We are not a stepping stone for NRL wannabe coaches to cut their teeth on. We are a proud club with proud traditions both in our style of play and our successes. Mr Woolfe should have been briefed on Holbrook's success and been told, more of the same please. The blueprint had been drawn up and tested to destruction, it worked! It was obvious almost from game one and certainly after game six that Woolfe's prferred playing style echoed Cunningham's much more than Holbrook's. It isn't too early to judge that, we could all see it. Me? I'd give Ian Watson a call!
    100% agree with you, as Saddo pointed out, this enforced break came at the right time for him but I doubt he'll be cut much slack by the fans once we get back to it. Let's just say we're allowed to play from June. We play Leeds, Cas and Warrington on the bounce, lose 2 of them and play crap and the heat will really be on him.

I'd of liked to see Watson come in in first place. Good coach, seems a nice guy, seems a person the players take to, doesn't try to over complicate things but also likes his side to play a bit. And it might give us the chance to raid Salford on the cheap.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

You're right, he even said there wasn't a lot needed changing, just a few improvements he thought he could introduce.
    Based on that, he must have been watching the games under Cunningham rather than JH......
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............