Jungle Out There Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Young players wage cuts

In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    I imagine this is the start of what will be a long process of having to renegotiate every contract for every employee at the club.

If there’s still a sport at the end of this, I imagine players will be on a lot lower salaries than they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If that happens I can see us losing a lot of players, the salaries now are quite low for such a short period of playing. In the future some may see a regular job as much better long term alternative, rather than playing for a low wage then having to enter the job market when they are in their 30's

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If that happens I can see us losing a lot of players, the salaries now are quite low for such a short period of playing. In the future some may see a regular job as much better long term alternative, rather than playing for a low wage then having to enter the job market when they are in their 30's
    I would hope that young players learn from what has gone on and continue with their education whilst they are still in the academy/reserve/1st team squads. I've lost track of young players walking around with their sunbed tans, chest stuck out thinking they've made it after signing their first pro contracts or making a few 1st team appearances.

Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think you're probably right. It seems going semi pro is looking quite likely at the moment, maybe not across the board but I don't see any other way for most clubs. I still think it's a disgusting thing to do to young players though.

In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think you're probably right. It seems going semi pro is looking quite likely at the moment, maybe not across the board but I don't see any other way for most clubs. I still think it's a disgusting thing to do to young players though.
    Yep, feed the rich starve the poor.