Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - Rugby League Implications

Learning All The Songs

£15 million of that should be just enough to put Bradford back on their knees for three years, Big Nige will be dusted down and brought front & centre to mention that the Leeds - Bradford game is the biggest Derby in the world, even bigger than the horse race but of course not as big as himself.
    Nobby back to coaching at his spiritual home using buzz words like sound business footing plan , going forward from here, financial package deferation and generally chunnering whilst chewing gum. Robbie Hunter Smiling St Paul as assistant coach and chief commentator for whoever is sponsoring him this hour and finally Staurt Fielden as the strength and conditioner looking as confused as ever saying " a kno`bur a wunt gonner hit ìm " should of chinned him first Stu he was obviously going to hit you.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 1st May 2020 at 16:36.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    Another aspect to this which was mentioned a while back, is those of us with season tickets, which I would expect the majority on this forum have.
    As yet we have had 2 home games. Personally I have mine and my son’s tickets which cost just shy of £550, so I would not be happy to then have to pay even more in order to watch a televised game which I have already paid to attend.
    I understand there are many variables to take account of including loyalty and club viability, but it seems massively unfair to expect season ticket holders to take the brunt of the loss of live games and then pay even more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well said, Season Ticket Holders views have not even been addressed in this whole situation yet, although I have had two welfare phone calls from players, which was most appreciated, sadly they just left messages as I'd sneaked out with the dog

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    His main point was that it has hit Rugby League the hardest, because the season had only just started so the build up of revenue stream to fund each clubs finances had only just started unlike soccer and union where they were approaching the end of their respective seasons. He did express confidence in the manner in which the Rugby League would allocate the money. Like everyone else had no idea when the season would start again other than saying that players would have to be mentally as well as physically ready
    In respect of pay for view for once wouldn't it be in Sky's interest to screen the matches on one of their free channels like Sky Sports News initially they would get far higher advertisement revenue because of much higher viewing figures. I've read somewhere that there is a probability that several games per weekend and even midweek at the same venue, incurring less television technical teams, stadium officials deep cleaning etc. This may be shape of things to come for the first few rounds at least
    Thanks, Woolyback - much appreciated.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I suspect that season tickets will be dealt with as a separate issue.
    I actually think that it's more important to get the sport up and running again on SKY TV, where I expect games to be televised more or less how they have been in the past, only behind closed doors. Much will depend on what other sports are available, but I don't see a 'pay to view' situation happening for the reasons already mentioned above.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I'd like to see season ticket cost refunded but suspect its more likely we will just get it credited against next season

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Rimmer tells clubs not to 'dip thee bread'!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...overnment-loan
    The fact that this had to be pointed out to clubs explains everything that is wrong with the way most (Yorkshire) Clubs are run

Although you can see clubs taking the money and wanting the RFL to pay it back to the government, since it will be the RFL that loans the money. Will the RFL call in a loan to bankrupt a club?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I'd like to see season ticket cost refunded but suspect its more likely we will just get it credited against next season
    I would like us to get a 4 game season ticket credit for next season if we don't restart this year., quite willing to share some of the burden but not all of it. Effectively pay for 10 home games instead of 14.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Usually Saints v Wigan/Wire/ Leeds are televised games but as you say they could change that around.

Would you pay say £20 for Saints V Wigan on pay per view?
    I very much doubt that would happen. Sky would show the games they usually show in a normal season, but the PPV idea would be for games they normally don't televise, so that match going fans have the option to watch it that way.

If Sky started to put Saints v Wigan, Wire v Leeds etc on PPV the clubs would rightly ask for a review of the TV contract, because Sky would be making money from the game in ways that were not agreed when the contracts were signed. It would be like signing a ten fight deal with a boxing promoter to show their boxers fights on Sky Sports then stick them on PPV. It wouldn't happen. But if that promoter had other non televised fights but couldn't have crowds then Sky may agree to show them over and above the agreed deal on PPV to allow people who would maybe have bought tickets to see the fights anyway.

Same rules will apply with RL and for Premier League football I would strongly suggest.

The RL Loan story is on the National BBC News now. Footage of the TWS.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Was watching Sky news they were interviewing Will Greenwood about the cash boost RL had received.They didn’t mention that it was a loan.They made it sound like it was grant from the government.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Rimmer tells clubs not to 'dip thee bread'!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...overnment-loan
    What are the chances of some transparency over which clubs get what amounts, and the reasoning behind the allocations? I won't be holding my breath on that one.
    However I am glad to see us get this money, if a bit surprised at how fast it has happened.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    £15 million of that should be just enough to put Bradford back on their knees for three years, Big Nige will be dusted down and brought front & centre to mention that the Leeds - Bradford game is the biggest Derby in the world, even bigger than the horse race but of course not as big as himself.
    Nobby back to coaching at his spiritual home using buzz words like sound business footing plan , going forward from here, financial package deferation and generally chunnering whilst chewing gum. Robbie Hunter Smiling St Paul as assistant coach and chief commentator for whoever is sponsoring him this hour and finally Staurt Fielden as the strength and conditioner looking as confused as ever saying " a kno`bur a wunt gonner hit ìm " should of chinned him first Stu he was obviously going to hit you.

I was thinking £15m could cover Warrington's wage bill for the season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post

I was thinking £15m could cover Warrington's wage bill for the season.
    I seem to remember Warrington and Saints annual turnover is around 8 million each so that would definitely wipe out the non gravy train 16 million described by Rimmer.

Banned

The danger is some of the lower league clubs have owners who take a wage as a full time employee. I don't know if super league as any Director/Employees but the danger is always they look after themselves first and then say bankrupt us if you dare.

I am no fan of Rimmer but if he does this period of time well we could go back to one governing body.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    The danger is some of the lower league clubs have owners who take a wage as a full time employee. I don't know if super league as any Director/Employees but the danger is always they look after themselves first and then say bankrupt us if you dare.

I am no fan of Rimmer but if he does this period of time well we could go back to one governing body.
    This is my worry there are far too many egos in the clubs who think the game owes them a living. They will gamble on taking the money and give the Vs to the RFL crying history and tradition and the RFL are destroying the game, when their club is going under.

For example Wakefield get a loan for a new stadium, on the understanding that with the new stadium revenue will increase etc. ground is broken, but Wakefield’s form drops and a few mediocre Aussies turn up Next thing the new stadium is a few more portacabins and a Card machine at Bell Vue. Go on RFL Bankrupt a Super league club.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    This is my worry there are far too many egos in the clubs who think the game owes them a living. They will gamble on taking the money and give the Vs to the RFL crying history and tradition and the RFL are destroying the game, when their club is going under.

For example Wakefield get a loan for a new stadium, on the understanding that with the new stadium revenue will increase etc. ground is broken, but Wakefield’s form drops and a few mediocre Aussies turn up Next thing the new stadium is a few more portacabins and a Card machine at Bell Vue. Go on RFL Bankrupt a Super league club.
    There's plenty traditional clubs outside of SL that don't have grounds that look like gypo camps.

What's the plan for when we need to start paying it back?

Banned

There's plenty traditional clubs outside of SL that don't have grounds that look like gypo camps.
    Strange one Dave is Wakey. They are either very lucky or well run in a disorganised way. I think I am right in saying they have never been relegated from Superleague but never finished top four since God knows when and last graced Wembley and I remember the semi in 1981. The stadium was good in the seventies but as you eloquently state now looks like the travelling community site on Sherdley Road. Wakey some choice fans as well.

Strange one Dave is Wakey. They are either very lucky or well run in a disorganised way. I think I am right in saying they have never been relegated from Superleague but never finished top four since God knows when and last graced Wembley and I remember the semi in 1981. The stadium was good in the seventies but as you eloquently state now looks like the travelling community site on Sherdley Road. Wakey some choice fans as well.
    Got that social club near the ground though where it's still about a quid 50 a pint

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    What's the plan for when we need to start paying it back?
    Depends what side of the pennines the team is from.

Depends what side of the pennines the team is from.
    Ahhhhhh.

I understand

Learning All The Songs

Wakey and Cas, have basically broken all the off field rules. Remember framing the future, when clubs had to invest in their ground or be denied super league status, what did Saints, Wire, Widnes and Leigh (an latterly Salford) But also Halifax And Fev do? They reduced investment in the playing side in order to have funds available to initiate investments into new stadiums ( yes with outside help, form investors and the council) just as the RFL asked. Cas and Wakey got some drawings of stadiums and left it there, as soon as they got into trouble on the field mediocre Aussies turn up.

Remember the criticism of Knowsley Road, of how can a modern sports team continue to play out of that dump, well that ‘dump’ was like Wembley stadium compared to Bell Vue and Wheldon Road

So what did the RFL do, well they realised that if they continued with framing the future the super league would only have Leeds and Hull so they changed the rule so that we can continue to pay 21st century prices to attend 19th century stadiums. Cas and Wakefield have cheated in a way just as serious as year on year massive salary cap breaches. They should be relegated and let clubs with the finance and vision in. Otherwise this game will always be held back.

But the 16million loan, you can bet Cas and Wakey will be first with the begging bowl and will have no intention of paying it back, and cry fowl when the RFL threaten to bankrupt them.

Banned

Wakey and Cas, have basically broken all the off field rules. Remember framing the future, when clubs had to invest in their ground or be denied super league status, what did Saints, Wire, Widnes and Leigh (an latterly Salford) But also Halifax And Fev do? They reduced investment in the playing side in order to have funds available to initiate investments into new stadiums ( yes with outside help, form investors and the council) just as the RFL asked. Cas and Wakey got some drawings of stadiums and left it there, as soon as they got into trouble on the field mediocre Aussies turn up.

Remember the criticism of Knowsley Road, of how can a modern sports team continue to play out of that dump, well that ‘dump’ was like Wembley stadium compared to Bell Vue and Wheldon Road

So what did the RFL do, well they realised that if they continued with framing the future the super league would only have Leeds and Hull so they changed the rule so that we can continue to pay 21st century prices to attend 19th century stadiums. Cas and Wakefield have cheated in a way just as serious as year on year massive salary cap breaches. They should be relegated and let clubs with the finance and vision in. Otherwise this game will always be held back.

But the 16million loan, you can bet Cas and Wakey will be first with the begging bowl and will have no intention of paying it back, and cry fowl when the RFL threaten to bankrupt them.
    Spot on.

But I disagree about Knowsley Road being a dump, it needed a new stand and club building, new toilets and bars and new roof's on the Popular side and the Eddington end but apart from that it was fine. As you say it would still be a better stadium than Cas, Wakey, HKR and plenty others. I understand why we moved and accept we needed to move on but for people to make out it was that bad is a lie, plain and simple.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Nail on the head.

Post of the year.

Spot on.

I still hear the 'I like going to Castleford, it's a proper rugby league ground' line every time I go there.

It's utter nonsense