Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - Rugby League Implications

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    In Spain it has become a real political issue over the power between Regional Governments and Central Government. It has also got a bit petty or spiteful. IE Spain took Independence from Catalunya in 1714, and last week when central Govt were distributing the face masks the sent 1714K to Catalunya.
    Spain has pretty much always had regional differences, I worked in Mataro near Barcelona in the 1980's whilst under the surface locals always wanting their own agenda's. Don't think the EU have helped Spain and Italy at the right time and in the right quantity, the UK exported PPE and Respirators early in the virus stage whilst our best friend Macron didn't want any likewise items leaving France. Germany took some of the Italian infected into their health care but they waited far too long until the hospitals in Italy were over run.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think that's more relative to France, just before the virus there was a lot of civil unrest amongst the civil services, the "yellow jackets" and the far right, Macron pretty much locked everything down fairly quickly with strict rules and penalties which represented something more like a "police state", luckily the UK is a bit more liberal minded and will think a bit more before going to more stringent measures.
    I think there's an element of governing according to how the people are though. In France, people are generally far less pro-establishment than in the UK and the French are well-known for just ignoring laws they don't like. People in the UK are generally very rigid about the law; if the law says A and the French want to do B, they do B (obviously within parameters), in the UK if the law says A then people do A without ever thinking to question it even if A is not what they really want. There are exceptions, the poll tax and the second Iraq war for example, but generally speaking there is that difference. The police also turn a blind eye more to minor offences in France than in the UK. Not saying either is right or wrong, better or worse, just that a difference exists and so does how to govern it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Rory Best now saying that after CV RU should move to a summer season to align the season with Southern countries. If that came about it could really hurt any TV deal we may be looking at.
    As a fan of both codes (though I do get why a lot of people on here don't like the RFU, where I come from the RFU wouldn't exactly be loved either lol), I don't see that being a runner. For starters, there's actually a natural advantage to league being played in better weather. The game is faster and to an extent based more on natural skill. Union is more tactical and playing it on consistently good surfaces would get rid of a certain amount of the tactical side. For example, it's not difficult to think of countries whose (traditional and most common) style of play would benefit immensely; Wales and France being two and others which would have to adapt considerably England and particularly Ireland. Clubs would also have to do likewise. Put league on good surfaces and there's a strong argument to say that you get a better specatcle (although obviously there are people who would strongly argue against this), put union on consistently good surfaces and there's a strong argument to say that you lose a significant aspect of the game.

Is coronavirus getting to the people deciding which old matches to show? Warrington beating Brisbane relatively comfortably, Wigan skelping the Sharks and, no disrespect intended, England Knights hammering Jamaica? This is a period where people are literally looking for things to watch and there are countless better matches to put out for people to stumble on and perhaps be attracted to.

Ligue 1 and 2 in France have announced they will be not finishing the season after the French Government announced there will be no sport until September at the earliest.

The RFL have povided a statement saying very little regarding Catalans/Toulouse but this will obviously have an effect on completing the Superleague/Championship seasons. I can't see this season being completed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Ligue 1 and 2 in France have announced they will be not finishing the season after the French Government announced there will be no sport until September at the earliest.

The RFL have povided a statement saying very little regarding Catalans/Toulouse but this will obviously have an effect on completing the Superleague/Championship seasons. I can't see this season being completed.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...mpression=true

Steve McNamara has commented to say Cats may have to move to the UK

Banned

W***ers put my inspection back a week too.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...mpression=true

Steve McNamara has commented to say Cats may have to move to the UK

But won’t they need to adhere to the “new” quarantine rules for incomers - 2 weeks quarantine? There’s going to have to be some pretty radical thinking and planning to get any Super League this year.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    But won’t they need to adhere to the “new” quarantine rules for incomers - 2 weeks quarantine? There’s going to have to be some pretty radical thinking and planning to get any Super League this year.
    I think it's going to be very difficult, you're right

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You would think they'd be looking at making arrangements now. I think them being based in the Manchester area would be a good ideal and maybe they could use a amateur clubs facilities, how it works and how it's financed though is anyone's guess.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Rugby Union want to finish their season by having several days when all clubs play at the same venue like a series of Magic Weekends, obviously behind closed doors,but obviously every game covered by tv.. as we are following the French and Italy time line, I think that they will be lucky to get permission to do it, I know I am being pessimistic but I am beginning to think that even a Winter Season is the very best we can hope for as we have got so many games to fit in to make a realistic season, unless they throw the whole fixture list into the bin and immediately start a play off competition for the Grand Final and also continue with Wembley, at least there will be two competitions to play for, and if all games have to be played behind closed doors whats the use of hiring Wembley and Old Trafford, why not both finals played on a home and away basis

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

If we are told that no crowds are allowed into grounds for the rest of 2020 then a Grand Final kind of becomes pointless. You’re hardly going to play at an empty Old Trafford for no reason. So we may see a FPTP system used as a one off for this year if we get games.

Ironically, as someone that wishes to see the end of the play offs I would argue that playing games behind closed doors for months would be the exact thing that would probably merit them, given that everyone will basically be playing neutral venue games for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    If we are told that no crowds are allowed into grounds for the rest of 2020 then a Grand Final kind of becomes pointless. You’re hardly going to play at an empty Old Trafford for no reason. So we may see a FPTP system used as a one off for this year if we get games.

Ironically, as someone that wishes to see the end of the play offs I would argue that playing games behind closed doors for months would be the exact thing that would probably merit them, given that everyone will basically be playing neutral venue games for weeks.
    Completely agree with Old Trafford venue being pointless but I'm pretty sure that Sky, who now will be the only source of income, as match day revenue will be gone for some time , will demand some sort of knock out games at the end to build up some sort of interest, what if a club develop a massive lead in the table, there will be no interest for the neutral follower

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Its difficult to plan anything without an approx start date.

We could condense the season by scrapping Magic and the loop fixtures, can't recall how many games that would leave but maybe we could then restart in September or October and run through to say end of Jan. Bit like the last season of winter rugby

Then start 2021 season end of March or early April (maybe Easter) If we don't bother with loop fixtures we may still have GF by first weekend Oct.

Unless this vaccine trial works out I can't see us haveing any crowds until next year and they may have to be limited.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Its difficult to plan anything without an approx start date.

We could condense the season by scrapping Magic and the loop fixtures, can't recall how many games that would leave but maybe we could then restart in September or October and run through to say end of Jan. Bit like the last season of winter rugby

Then start 2021 season end of March or early April (maybe Easter) If we don't bother with loop fixtures we may still have GF by first weekend Oct.

Unless this vaccine trial works out I can't see us haveing any crowds until next year and they may have to be limited.
    Biggest problem is that if we don't start Superleague until 2021 there will be so many Out of Contract Players lost through no planning and our youth set up could be shrunk to the bare bones.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Reports are a 16 million government loan to secure the immediate future of the sport

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Reports are a 16 million government loan to secure the immediate future of the sport
    Certainly better than nothing and to be fair a quick reaction from government which possibly shows how dire the situation Rugby League was in, and how persuasive the case was made by the RFL, but as it is to be spread across all of Rugby League from amateur to Super League, it is not that much and is going to a real headache for whoever has to make the difficult decisions 're where the money goes. Even though it is a loan with the government bank rate as it is, it is virtually interest free. Some light at the end of the tunnel for Salford, Wakefield and co., who live on a month to month existence with their reliance on Sky money

Rimmer was saying the sport will survive a few week back. No mention of a £16 million hole then. Luckily Hudgell & Pearson managed to put some reality to the situation.

However, the RFL have clearly put a strong case forward, which is excellent work from them & all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Confirmed, apparently the first sport to be given money, no doubt the there will be a long queue from other sports asking for similar loans,

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Certainly better than nothing and to be fair a quick reaction from government which possibly shows how dire the situation Rugby League was in, and how persuasive the case was made by the RFL, but as it is to be spread across all of Rugby League from amateur to Super League, it is not that much and is going to a real headache for whoever has to make the difficult decisions 're where the money goes. Even though it is a loan with the government bank rate as it is, it is virtually interest free. Some light at the end of the tunnel for Salford, Wakefield and co., who live on a month to month existence with their reliance on Sky money
    I only hope the Yorkshire deadwood clubs like Wakefield will be made to appreciate that this money is a loan, so when the RFL diviys out the money, and they spaff it up the wall on portacabins etc, then when the loan is called in they go under, we don’t get the hue and cry about saving heartland clubs etc.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    I only hope the Yorkshire deadwood clubs like Wakefield will be made to appreciate that this money is a loan, so when the RFL diviys out the money, and they spaff it up the wall on portacabins etc, then when the loan is called in they go under, we don’t get the hue and cry about saving heartland clubs etc.
    Agree!
    Hopefully it will be held in some sort of RFL central pot which clubs will have to 'apply' to, giving good reasons on why they need the money, what they're spending it on, and, most importantly, when they intend to repay it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Aye, we all know that won't happen. They'll just get the well used begging bowl back out again.

Banned

The loan is probably to cover expenses for their trip to New York for the challenge cup draw when things get back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

RFL set to announce plans for £15 mil investment of Odsal Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    With the remaining £1 million set aside for the buffet, joking apart though, it does look like they have been quick off the mark with this and deserve credit, it looks like it is an open ended loan so no rush to pay it back if ever, it will just remain on the government books

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    With the remaining £1 million set aside for the buffet, joking apart though, it does look like they have been quick off the mark with this and deserve credit, it looks like it is an open ended loan so no rush to pay it back if ever, it will just remain on the government books
    Its great they have managed to get it sorted. I just hope that it gives others a kick up the arse to get their houses in order.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Fully equipped with individual 2m pens and free face masks. All club games to be played there until the loan is paid back... In 2037.