Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - Rugby League Implications

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
    I wouldn't be adverse to it coming back behind closed doors. I'm not a fan of watching sport in that situation, it always appears sterile and somewhat artificial, but it's a bit of beggars can't be choosers right now. At least it would give something current and relevant to keep an eye on and look forward to.
    Maybe they could allow 49 lucky season ticket holders each game.. if the limit where set to 50

Starting A Programme Collection

https://www.totalrl.com/the-pay-cuts...eague-players/

Not sure if anyone has already posted this but the proposed wage cut structures for each club have been revealed. Interestingly Saints are paying all playing staff in full for April. Salford and Catalans are also planning on paying their players in full. The rest of superleague are planning some sort of pay cuts depending on a players earnings.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Rory Best now saying that after CV RU should move to a summer season to align the season with Southern countries. If that came about it could really hurt any TV deal we may be looking at.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Rory Best now saying that after CV RU should move to a summer season to align the season with Southern countries. If that came about it could really hurt any TV deal we may be looking at.
    If it does , that would be a serious problem.

But the way "world rugby" is structured (Seasons, World Cups, Lions Tours, Six Nations, The Championship (Nz,Aus,Arg,Sa) ) it would be a very drastic action to take and require them to wait for the 4 year cycle between last years world cup and the next work cup to have finished, to have planned the new structure and to have everyone agreed on it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Given that they still arrange massive internationals (Autumn Tests, Six Nations) during the club season it would make sense in the long run for them to move it around so that the internationals book end the club season. I can’t imagine they are worried at all about competing with RL, and the attractions of having the Six Nations kick off the season in Feb-Mar, then have the club season Apr-Oct followed by Autumn Tests or World Cups with a break in Dec and Jan sounds like a plan for them.

I can only imagine our sport becoming even more of an irrelevance if RU nicked our idea of a Magic Weekend in the summer months and played it up at Newcastle (where it would get a full house), and then dominated the weekend coverage of the 2 months when football isn’t around.

From a purists point of view I admire the Aussies for having structured ‘footy’ and cricket/tennis seasons that don’t overlap. We used to have structured football seasons (soccer, RL, RU) and then the summer for cricket and stuff like Wimbledon and The Open. Seems like everything overlaps now and frankly there is too much going on at the same time, in a normal year I mean!

Learning All The Songs

That would be a disaster for RU, they generate their money from internationals and tours. We saw the negative effect aligning the seasons had on our tours, but with us the club game generates the money.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    That would be a disaster for RU, they generate their money from internationals and tours. We saw the negative effect aligning the seasons had on our tours, but with us the club game generates the money.
    I should imagine as well the "middle class" type would watch Cricket so that spectator catchment could split.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

From a purists point of view I admire the Aussies for having structured ‘footy’ and cricket/tennis seasons that don’t overlap. We used to have structured football seasons (soccer, RL, RU) and then the summer for cricket and stuff like Wimbledon and The Open. Seems like everything overlaps now and frankly there is too much going on at the same time, in a normal year I mean!
    It would confuse things a bit in schools as well, I assume they still do Rugby or Football in winter and Cricket and Athletics in Summer

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    It would confuse things a bit in schools as well, I assume they still do Rugby or Football in winter and Cricket and Athletics in Summer
    Very much so yes. We lived down the road from a quite prestigious private school in South London and they are very much all about traditional rugby and cricket seasons. Given that these types of schools traditionally produce some of the top players in both sports it would create issues having to use green spaces for both at the same time, so I assume they would leave RU as is. Having also worked on a parks team for a council in London it would cause issues because there was a distinct cut off week when all green spaces stopped being used for football codes and were allowed to either be turned over to cricket or given renovation work in time for the Autumn.

So yes, your point is a good one and it would cause issues below the professional level definitely.

Like or loath them, we will always need them. A look at the Referees during lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ague-officials

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Definitely worrying times for our clubs and the game in general?

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...rclays-4071518

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

With all this talk of continued social distancing after the lockdown is relaxed its going to be almost impossible to go back to standing on a crowded terrace or sit close to other people in the stands.

I'm in a high risk age group and have a season ticket and even if they were starting playing tomorrow I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to go until the risk gets a lot lower than it is now, most prob next year.

With that in mind, as long as they safeguard (testing?) the players and the playing staff then the only way forward is on TV behind closed doors or with very low ticket crowds.

I don't know how that will leave the championship clubs unless the Super League give them a cut of any TV money.

On a side note what's going to happen with pubs? even if they could have social distancing when serving at the bar you go to the pub to meet mates, we can't stand 2mts away and shout at each other.
    A lot of life as we know it is going to missing for a long time. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    With all this talk of continued social distancing after the lockdown is relaxed its going to be almost impossible to go back to standing on a crowded terrace or sit close to other people in the stands.

I'm in a high risk age group and have a season ticket and even if they were starting playing tomorrow I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to go until the risk gets a lot lower than it is now, most prob next year.

With that in mind, as long as they safeguard (testing?) the players and the playing staff then the only way forward is on TV behind closed doors or with very low ticket crowds.

I don't know how that will leave the championship clubs unless the Super League give them a cut of any TV money.

On a side note what's going to happen with pubs? even if they could have social distancing when serving at the bar you go to the pub to meet mates, we can't stand 2mts away and shout at each other.
    A lot of life as we know it is going to missing for a long time. :-(
    If I'm being honest I would make it even more strict & keep it that way until cases are minimal.

If we get another outbreak early winter we are in serious trouble. Far as I'm concerned you should have a permit to go out & the streets should be well monitored.

Banned

You know what, I'd take having this ••••••• thing if it meant things were lifted quicker. I'm getting seriously ragged off, it's costing me money and the government don't appear to be doing a great deal. No surprise when we're led by that clown although the alternative isn't any more appealing, then we have that big mouth tit Trump spouting off about the effectiveness of being injected with bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You know what, I'd take having this ••••••• thing if it meant things were lifted quicker. I'm getting seriously ragged off, it's costing me money and the government don't appear to be doing a great deal. No surprise when we're led by that clown although the alternative isn't any more appealing, then we have that big mouth tit Trump spouting off about the effectiveness of being injected with bleach.
    Still very much medical advisory driven at the moment, it's the death of people versus death of the economy at the moment, still early doors yet maybe 8 to 10 weeks of lockdown will see us relax a bit to get the economy moving again. Not all that optimistic about watching rugby league live though think that's been killed off until the early Autumn perhaps.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Still very much medical advisory driven at the moment, it's the death of people versus death of the economy at the moment, still early doors yet maybe 8 to 10 weeks of lockdown will see us relax a bit to get the economy moving again. Not all that optimistic about watching rugby league live though think that's been killed off until the early Autumn perhaps.
    Yeah, I know mate. I was just in a foul mood this morning and I'm not the most patient person at the best of times. I was saying the same to my Dad last night regarding RL and football, I just can't see either starting any time soon.

Banned

Dave I'm the same pal. I worry that Chitty and his science cronies will control us as long as they can and the normal working man takes another step towards irrelevance. I know how today should be. Work Pub Rugby League.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    If I'm being honest I would make it even more strict & keep it that way until cases are minimal.

If we get another outbreak early winter we are in serious trouble. Far as I'm concerned you should have a permit to go out & the streets should be well monitored.
    Good grief give the man a black shirt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Dave I'm the same pal. I worry that Chitty and his science cronies will control us as long as they can and the normal working man takes another step towards irrelevance. I know how today should be. Work Pub Rugby League.
    I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories but it does feel that way a little bit. It crossed my mind that there may have been some civil disobedience this summer as a lot of people are ••••ed off, myself included and they obviously don't want that. I don't know, maybe I'm just doing my best Donald Trump impression and spouting utter bollocks.

Learning All The Songs

I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories but it does feel that way a little bit. It crossed my mind that there may have been some civil disobedience this summer as a lot of people are ••••ed off, myself included and they obviously don't want that. I don't know, maybe I'm just doing my best Donald Trump impression and spouting utter bollocks.
    This virus has been a god send for all the miserable fascists that are about. Whenever I’ve been out almost everyone has been keeping their distance. Yes I’ve seen people having picnics on Taylor park hill, but as long as they keep as distance is there a problem? The underlying issue is that these sad individuals are seeing people actually enjoying themselves and under the current regime they think they can stop it.

This is helped by the media looking for some other angle on the only news story that is relevant.

Look if we just keep our distance from each other and respect other people what is the issue.

People have been complaining about cars being parked in the streets around the parks, well if the council would open the car parks then this would not be an issue. The police have said you can drive to your exercise place.

It seams that the first casualty of this pandemic is common sense.

I think that's more relative to France, just before the virus there was a lot of civil unrest amongst the civil services, the "yellow jackets" and the far right, Macron pretty much locked everything down fairly quickly with strict rules and penalties which represented something more like a "police state", luckily the UK is a bit more liberal minded and will think a bit more before going to more stringent measures.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    This virus has been a god send for all the miserable fascists that are about. Whenever I’ve been out almost everyone has been keeping their distance. Yes I’ve seen people having picnics on Taylor park hill, but as long as they keep as distance is there a problem? The underlying issue is that these sad individuals are seeing people actually enjoying themselves and under the current regime they think they can stop it.

This is helped by the media looking for some other angle on the only news story that is relevant.

Look if we just keep our distance from each other and respect other people what is the issue.

People have been complaining about cars being parked in the streets around the parks, well if the council would open the car parks then this would not be an issue. The police have said you can drive to your exercise place.

It seams that the first casualty of this pandemic is common sense.
    Yep, that's how I see it too. What I have noticed being out and about this week is that it seems to be older people (60-75) flouting the the distancing rules, standing around the streets and shops gabbing although I've also noticed people going well OTT too, and seen people sticking their oar in to other peoples business on social media.

I think that's more relative to France, just before the virus there was a lot of civil unrest amongst the civil services, the "yellow jackets" and the far right, Macron pretty much locked everything down fairly quickly with strict rules and penalties which represented something more like a "police state", luckily the UK is a bit more liberal minded and will think a bit more before going to more stringent measures.
    I've actually been doing some research on the situation in France today as I've been asked to go and carry out an inspection in Lyon, what should be a quick 2 day trip is probably going to turn into 4 with 2 full days travelling but yes, I agree this has played right into Macron's hands regarding the Yellow Jackets, however, give the French their due, they love a good protest so I expect they will be back out in force.

Compared to him you are just a beginner.

In Spain it has become a real political issue over the power between Regional Governments and Central Government. It has also got a bit petty or spiteful. IE Spain took Independence from Catalunya in 1714, and last week when central Govt were distributing the face masks the sent 1714K to Catalunya.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 25th April 2020 at 07:38.

Banned

Compared to him you are just a beginner.
    I'm well aware that injecting bleach probably isn't a good idea.