Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - Rugby League Implications

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    We are in a more perilous position than others because of the stadium. Us, Warrington and Leeds are financially more at risk.

Our business plan is more or less based around the stadium and the income generated from it. With no weddings, conferences etc allowed, we have no non match day income coming in.
    Yeh but us 3 have bigger sugar daddies don’t we??
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

I suppose Us and Wire are in a slightly different situation than leeds. We have converted all our debts to director loans, so we aren’t in hock to a bank, off course the directors could call in the loans but how likely is that?

Leeds have just completed a partial (and costly) refurbishment of Headingley which will need to start to return on the investment. It’s funny how it’s only King Gary that is bleating. Yes this will hurt us and wire but with no bank debt we will come through and bounce back.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Interesting they are looking to see if sky will cover every game with a pay per view option such a season ticket for each team if large gatherings are banned still

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Interesting they are looking to see if sky will cover every game with a pay per view option such a season ticket for each team if large gatherings are banned still
    But if you’ve subscribed already for a season ticket to the club you support, you’re surely not expected to pay Sky to watch your team on TV?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    But if you’ve subscribed already for a season ticket to the club you support, you’re surely not expected to pay Sky to watch your team on TV?
    Well that's the difficulty I guess..

Maybe they could defer season tickets till next year.. a lot of discussion and decisions to be made

I don’t mind not accepting a refund for my season ticket in the long term interest of the club but I would have issues with paying extra for pay-per-view games involving Saints.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    This is true, but my thoughts always lead me to the question 'will you spend the money to survive if you have no idea what will be left at the end of it all?'. Will anyone spend a seven figure sum to keep their club going when the rest of the sport is going under? You could end up with 4 or 5 owners or CEOs spending millions to end up as the only clubs that can survive as fully professional. In that respect, you would imagine that they will be taking advice and looking at the long term viability of their investments if we are all still socially distancing and barred from going to games in 3 months time.

I have no idea what will happen here, but in a doomsday scenario I would rather have 15-20 RL clubs in England able to compete at a semi-professional level than have 4-5 reasonably strong professional clubs and the rest going out of business or being primarily amateur.
    I'd agree with that. I'd much rather follow a competitive semi-pro rugby league than a situation where there were a handful of pro clubs who dominated everything and the rest being also rans. I know there is an essence of certain clubs dominating in every sport, particularly in professional situations (though even in the GAA, wholly amateur, a couple of teams are always there or thereabouts) but I'm thinking of avoiding a situation like with soccer. There you have at best a couple of teams that win everything every year (England 2 or 3, Scotland 1, Italy 1, Spain 2, Germany 1 etc; Europe 2 or 3) which frankly is boring. As much as I would love to see an extended period of Saints success, if somebody said to me that after all this is over, Saints will win everything every year and generally speaking comfortably so, it wouldn't float my boat. Sport is entertaining when you don't know who is going to win. It becomes somewhat redundant if you know exactly who is going to win before a competition has even started. Not knowing is also what makes the thrill of winning special.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...mpression=true

Also agreement from SL clubs to blackball players who will not accept the pay cut?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no...pionship-wages

Could Championship clubs be in a better position due to their smaller wage bills?

All sports are going to go through a significantly uncertain future as this Virus opens up the fragility of all aspects we have taken for granted.

COYS Stay Safe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...mpression=true

Also agreement from SL clubs to blackball players who will not accept the pay cut?
    Not a fan of blackballing anybody. Smacks too much of bullying. Yes, it is obvious that players will have to take a wage cut but it should be done through negotiation, not threats, as it is their living at the end of the day. The clubs can strengthen their hand by choosing a collective approach as I am sure they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no...pionship-wages

Could Championship clubs be in a better position due to their smaller wage bills?

All sports are going to go through a significantly uncertain future as this Virus opens up the fragility of all aspects we have taken for granted.

COYS Stay Safe
    I doubt it. I would imagine championship clubs have less financial reserves to fall back on. The lower down a club is, the more likely it is to fold I would think.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
    Not a fan of blackballing anybody. Smacks too much of bullying. Yes, it is obvious that players will have to take a wage cut but it should be done through negotiation, not threats, as it is their living at the end of the day. The clubs can strengthen their hand by choosing a collective approach as I am sure they will do.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's illegal and any decent union would have a field day. I think everyone realises the seriousness of the situation but players have contracts, they also have bills to pay and short careers. A loy of them aren't that brilliantly paid either, especially for what they put their bodies through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but I think it's illegal and any decent union would have a field day. I think everyone realises the seriousness of the situation but players have contracts, they also have bills to pay and short careers. A loy of them aren't that brilliantly paid either, especially for what they put their bodies through.
    It’s one of the joys of RL to know that you’re watching a group of players that aren’t getting paid tens of times the amount of those watching them, and in some cases there will be hundreds or thousands in the stands getting paid more than some of the team. RL players in the main don’t get top dollar for what is a tough game with genuine risks.

It may be that the players themselves see what is coming down the road and offer to take the cuts voluntarily, to stave off a situation where half of them have no career to look forward to if the worst comes to the worst.

The more I think about this the more I see a not too rosy future for the SL clubs if the aim is to remain as a fully professional comp. I see the issues that some lower league football teams are in and I compare them to half of the SL teams in terms of income and fan bases. Unfortunately for SL clubs they don’t have mega rich clubs and a competition above them that can push money down the system to help them out. I honestly don’t know where the money is going to come from, given that in times of relative comfort the game has struggled to bring in real investment anyway.

I know this sounds really basic & not well thought out but I'm trying to use my limited knowledge of business & economics (I get a little twinge of satisfaction when I pay my gas & electric each month, so fellow posters, this is where I'm at).

Would it not be worth considering going to £10 for adults, £5 for kids/senior citizens & lower kiosk prices just to get the numbers through the gates & spending on matchday so we can get cashflow back into clubs?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Even more so if you have a season ticket and subscribe to Saints TV as well, if SKY cover every game you might as well wait 3 days for it to transfer on Saints TV especially if its played behind closed doors.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It’s one of the joys of RL to know that you’re watching a group of players that aren’t getting paid tens of times the amount of those watching them, and in some cases there will be hundreds or thousands in the stands getting paid more than some of the team. RL players in the main don’t get top dollar for what is a tough game with genuine risks.

It may be that the players themselves see what is coming down the road and offer to take the cuts voluntarily, to stave off a situation where half of them have no career to look forward to if the worst comes to the worst.

The more I think about this the more I see a not too rosy future for the SL clubs if the aim is to remain as a fully professional comp. I see the issues that some lower league football teams are in and I compare them to half of the SL teams in terms of income and fan bases. Unfortunately for SL clubs they don’t have mega rich clubs and a competition above them that can push money down the system to help them out. I honestly don’t know where the money is going to come from, given that in times of relative comfort the game has struggled to bring in real investment anyway.
    A legacy of complacency and •••• poor management.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I know this sounds really basic & not well thought out but I'm trying to use my limited knowledge of business & economics (I get a little twinge of satisfaction when I pay my gas & electric each month, so fellow posters, this is where I'm at).

Would it not be worth considering going to £10 for adults, £5 for kids/senior citizens & lower kiosk prices just to get the numbers through the gates & spending on matchday so we can get cashflow back into clubs?
    I have the same limited knowledge mate, but I don't think getting the numbers back will be the problem. I can't wait! I'm expecting bumper crowds for the new start of the season whenever that is.
    I'm struggling a little with the season ticket thing. If this season is written off, do I expect it to 'roll over'? That would be good for me, but a big financial hit for the club. I was wondering if they would introduce a longer term season ticket again, like the ones we were offered when we move out of KR. That would at least put some longer term cash back into the club, and give them a bit of breathing space. You could 'trade in' your current season ticket, and top it up to a multi-season one. Give folks the change to pay in monthly installments too.
    I'm not sure about the shirts. Again, if the club went for a 'roll' over, great for the fans, but not for the club, as it's another income stream shot down.
    Fun and games eh?

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I have the same limited knowledge mate, but I don't think getting the numbers back will be the problem. I can't wait! I'm expecting bumper crowds for the new start of the season whenever that is.
    I'm struggling a little with the season ticket thing. If this season is written off, do I expect it to 'roll over'? That would be good for me, but a big financial hit for the club. I was wondering if they would introduce a longer term season ticket again, like the ones we were offered when we move out of KR. That would at least put some longer term cash back into the club, and give them a bit of breathing space. You could 'trade in' your current season ticket, and top it up to a multi-season one. Give folks the change to pay in monthly installments too.
    I'm not sure about the shirts. Again, if the club went for a 'roll' over, great for the fans, but not for the club, as it's another income stream shot down.
    Fun and games eh?
    The season ticket suggestion is an interesting one and something I'd certainly consider taking up if it was offered.

I also take your point about attendances & thinking about it, you're most likely correct that attendances will increase significantly as and when spectators are allowed through the gates as normal.

What happened though if we get another outbreak of the virus again and we end up back in the same situation? Not saying it will but I think covid is at best, coming back as a seasonal hit for a very long time now. Some will say we are a summer sport so it wouldn't affect us as badly but we do start at the tail end of January & finish in mid to late November so I'm not so sure

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

On a separate note could we use the present problems to unify the game and it's administration.We have three different organisations running the game why not bring them under the same roof? Could it ever happen?
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

There's a proposal now that games will be behind closed doors with all games shown on Sky but apart from the two games which Sky normally would normally show the rest would be on pay per view.

I understand that the idea of pay per view is to raise extra money but I think we will be missing the opportunity to pick up new viewers for the game. Maybe at the the extra money is more important.

If every game was free I would watch them but apart from Saints games I dont think I'd pay for many others, it depends how much.

Banned

The season ticket suggestion is an interesting one and something I'd certainly consider taking up if it was offered.

I also take your point about attendances & thinking about it, you're most likely correct that attendances will increase significantly as and when spectators are allowed through the gates as normal.

What happened though if we get another outbreak of the virus again and we end up back in the same situation? Not saying it will but I think covid is at best, coming back as a seasonal hit for a very long time now. Some will say we are a summer sport so it wouldn't affect us as badly but we do start at the tail end of January & finish in mid to late November so I'm not so sure
    There's the option of a shorter season but again it's a financial hit for all clubs. The whole thing is a bloody mess.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

...What happened though if we get another outbreak of the virus again and we end up back in the same situation? Not saying it will but I think covid is at best, coming back as a seasonal hit for a very long time now. Some will say we are a summer sport so it wouldn't affect us as badly but we do start at the tail end of January & finish in mid to late November so I'm not so sure
    It could come back. They don't yet know if it will fade in the warmer months, and I think that until we have an effective vaccine, or we've all had the virus (and hopefully become immune!), then we'll be in this limbo situation.

We could end up with situation where only those with immunity are allowed out to events. The others stay in lockdown. This goes on for a number of years and they all move underground and eventually turn into Morlocks! ...(or Wiganers)
    I'll get my coat.

Banned

Thats a great idea mate better than all this behknd closed doors ppv rubbish

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    A legacy of complacency and •••• poor management.
    The really shocking thing is that the NRL is in the same, if not a worse, position. With the amount of money floating around in it, admittedly not to the levels of other sports but still significant, you'd think they'd have managed to build up reserves. Fifth and Last podcast have been talking a lot about it in recent weeks.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Fun and games eh?
    Most small busineses that go bankrupt do do because of cash flow, what you are suggesting would be a great boost to that.

Banned

Better membership packages for those of us who for whatever reason can't/choose not to go regularly to matches. If you look at similar packages for NRL clubs, they are a bit more expensive but include different types of merchandise (that wouldn't necessarily cost the club a lot).

For example, a basic Saints membership is £20 and more than pays for itself if you go to Magic Weekend and a home match but doesn't really have a lot extra and if you don't go for whatever reason at all to matches could seem a bit like handing money over simply to support the club (no bad thing, a lot will be happy to do that particularly at the moment). A Brisbane Broncos (just an example) one though is just under £40 but includes a scarf, a lanyard, a cap, a drink can, a mug and a couple of other things. It's more expensive but seems better value possibly enticing more people to buy it whilst, because the club is bulk buying, is likely cheap enough to put together probably making them more coin.