Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - Rugby League Implications

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I don't know what he's doing these days but I used to have to turn the station over when he was on. I can hear his stupid voice right now.
    He is on Radio X. Could never stand listening to him. Absolute Garbage.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Self proclaimed saviour of bbc radio1. Utter tosser. He loves rugby league but he’s still a terrible personality.
    Is he a Rugby League fan?

Banned

I see Toronto have been given a stay of execution. I can understand it to be fair given we're only a few games in.

I see Toronto have been given a stay of execution. I can understand it to be fair given we're only a few games in.
    I'm glad seeing as I have a flight "credit" !!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    How have Featherstone a Village in the same council area made Post Office Road an absolute corker of a stadium? I am not having a go at you personally but Hethrington and Carter are in the Nigel Wood boat for me, frankly what's in it for me!
    They have done very well to upgrade that ground on the back of mainly voluntary work by fans.
    I think it's just a very good championship grade stadium though. Hardly state of the art or modern and the capacity won't be the big either.
    If any of those clubs( Cas/Fev/Wakey) have long term Super League ambitions they really need a shared facility.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Is he a Rugby League fan?

I think he is yes. Sure he has mentioned going to Fev games when he can

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    They have done very well to upgrade that ground on the back of mainly voluntary work by fans.
    I think it's just a very good championship grade stadium though. Hardly state of the art or modern and the capacity won't be the big either.
    If any of those clubs( Cas/Fev/Wakey) have long term Super League ambitions they really need a shared facility.
    Good shout. No reason that all of these clubs cannot remain relevant and play an important role in the game, but a shared ground of 15,000 or so slap bang in the middle somewhere would be beneficial. Clubs in Australia do it quite regularly, and provided you don’t give it a name associated with any one club it could work quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Good shout. No reason that all of these clubs cannot remain relevant and play an important role in the game, but a shared ground of 15,000 or so slap bang in the middle somewhere would be beneficial. Clubs in Australia do it quite regularly, and provided you don’t give it a name associated with any one club it could work quite easily.
    I think so mate.
    I hate to say this because it probably goes against my previous views but there is an argument for a combined SL club in that area with the original clubs keeping their identity as feeder clubs at Championship level.
    It's Mo Lindsay's vision from many years ago but the way things are moving it might make sense and be the only viable option over time.

Banned

Its funny to read the above. I could imagine Chris Hamilton at Oldham shouting "not on my Nellie" However here lies the problem. "Fiefdoms" Oldham to take an example now have a home ground which is so basic it belongs to a north west counties football club, they count the attendance levels in the hundreds and they are a demographic of 50+ and Oldham was a strong RL town and at amateur level still is.

My answer in this example and other similar circumstances that central funding should be pulled which would finish maybe four/five clubs off. However look to bring the top amateur club in that area on board in that case Saddleworth Rangers, top facilities, all age groups catered for and run by dynamic committees.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Its funny to read the above. I could imagine Chris Hamilton at Oldham shouting "not on my Nellie" However here lies the problem. "Fiefdoms" Oldham to take an example now have a home ground which is so basic it belongs to a north west counties football club, they count the attendance levels in the hundreds and they are a demographic of 50+ and Oldham was a strong RL town and at amateur level still is.

My answer in this example and other similar circumstances that central funding should be pulled which would finish maybe four/five clubs off. However look to bring the top amateur club in that area on board in that case Saddleworth Rangers, top facilities, all age groups catered for and run by dynamic committees.
    Oldham St Anne's & Saddleworth are not places where you have an easy ride. Tough going

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ue-coronavirus

Bower's article today gives more insight into the future for the game.

Intereting quote there from John Wells. He "cant see a rugby league event with fans this year". Sobering thought that.

If that is the case that could have serious ramifcations that even a £16m loan isn't sufficient to solve.

I think the game was at a crossroads anyway with the Sky deal due for renewal. Some huge decisions to be made at top level in the coming months. I hinted at it earlier but the leaders of the sport need to decide what they want the sport to look like in future years and start to tailor things accordingly.

There are possibly two ways to go here.

We can consider full on SL expansion with a league consisting potentially of say Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Leeds, one Hull club, Calder ( Cas/ Wakey/Fev) along with London, Manchester, Catalan, Tolouse, Toronto, NYC, Ottawa and maybe Newcastle. That sort of set up may attract bigger TV deals and sposorship rights. The other clubs would simply have to become part time playing at Championship level and below and become feeder clubs.

The other alternative is to carry on as we always have done with most of the lower level league clubs continuing to die a slow death surviving hand to mouth with interest dwindling. There will be one or two clubs like Leigh and Widnes keeping the SL dream alve through promotion and once achieved they will yo-yo back. I cannot see what having the likes of NYC playing Batley brings to the sport to be honest. But if that is what the vision have then the authorities need to go with it and forget any expansion pretence.

There will be people who will argue for each side of the above scenarios. The game is desperate for a visionary in the corridors of power to build a future structure that will ensure a future for this game otherwise we will continue to stand still and struggle for publicity. I can listen to BBC 5 live sport on a Monday morning without RL getting a mention whilst they report womens football, netball, etc. That is how far down the pecking order we have slipped. The current sitation whilst forced on us is providing probably a one time opportunity to change the directio of the sport for good.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

So basically back to the original idea's about Superleague only 25 years later without the money to do it?
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Intereting quote there from John Wells. He "cant see a rugby league event with fans this year". Sobering thought that.

If that is the case that could have serious ramifcations that even a £16m loan isn't sufficient to solve.

I think the game was at a crossroads anyway with the Sky deal due for renewal. Some huge decisions to be made at top level in the coming months. I hinted at it earlier but the leaders of the sport need to decide what they want the sport to look like in future years and start to tailor things accordingly.

There are possibly two ways to go here.

We can consider full on SL expansion with a league consisting potentially of say Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Leeds, one Hull club, Calder ( Cas/ Wakey/Fev) along with London, Manchester, Catalan, Tolouse, Toronto, NYC, Ottawa and maybe Newcastle. That sort of set up may attract bigger TV deals and sposorship rights. The other clubs would simply have to become part time playing at Championship level and below and become feeder clubs.

The other alternative is to carry on as we always have done with most of the lower level league clubs continuing to die a slow death surviving hand to mouth with interest dwindling. There will be one or two clubs like Leigh and Widnes keeping the SL dream alve through promotion and once achieved they will yo-yo back. I cannot see what having the likes of NYC playing Batley brings to the sport to be honest. But if that is what the vision have then the authorities need to go with it and forget any expansion pretence.

There will be people who will argue for each side of the above scenarios. The game is desperate for a visionary in the corridors of power to build a future structure that will ensure a future for this game otherwise we will continue to stand still and struggle for publicity. I can listen to BBC 5 live sport on a Monday morning without RL getting a mention whilst they report womens football, netball, etc. That is how far down the pecking order we have slipped. The current sitation whilst forced on us is providing probably a one time opportunity to change the directio of the sport for good.
    Sobering post too. It does feel like we're at a bit of a crossroads at the moment. I know I was less than complimentary about a few sides but I would much prefer traditional sides than the likes of Toronto etc. They bring nothing to the game, have no history, no rivalries and will end taking all our best players because the only thing they do have is money. I suppose there's an argument for that but to me it just feels a bit catch 22.

As you say, the game needs a visionary but I just don't see where it's coming from. There is some good people in the game, but there's some •••• poor people too and I see getting rid of them as a possible starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    So basically back to the original idea's about Superleague only 25 years later without the money to do it?
    Well the money may come from an enhanced TV deal if presented with an attrative and well thought out plan. My fear is no bugger has a plan.

Sobering post too. It does feel like we're at a bit of a crossroads at the moment. I know I was less than complimentary about a few sides but I would much prefer traditional sides than the likes of Toronto etc. They bring nothing to the game, have no history, no rivalries and will end taking all our best players because the only thing they do have is money. I suppose there's an argument for that but to me it just feels a bit catch 22.

As you say, the game needs a visionary but I just don't see where it's coming from. There is some good people in the game, but there's some •••• poor people too and I see getting rid of them as a possible starting point.
    The likes of Hunslet, Huddersfield and Dewsbury have a history indeed a couple of those were the dominant force in the game for a spell but what good is it doing them now?
    Even with a very decent side that managed to win the league leaders shield a few seasons ago Hudderersfied seem to struggle to get more than about 3000 of their townsfolk interested. How is that going to change? Who will watch Hunset when you can watch Leeds in the same city?

Banned

The likes of Hunslet, Huddersfield and Dewsbury have a history indeed a couple of those were the dominant force in the game for a spell but what good is it doing them now?
    Even with a very decent side that managed to win the league leaders shield a few seasons ago Hudderersfied seem to struggle to get more than about 3000 of their townsfolk interested. How is that going to change? Who will watch Hunset when you can watch Leeds in the same city?
    I agree with you mate, Huddersfield are a great example and for me are as much a basket case as Hunslet or Dewsbury. I don't know if people have just fell out of love with the game or what? Maybe that's the case, I know I lost interest for a couple of years myself. But it does seem to be all the old mill towns and the West Riding area that have the biggest problems. It's a strange one for sure.

In The South Stand

Well the money may come from an enhanced TV deal if presented with an attrative and well thought out plan. My fear is no bugger has a plan.
    Sky were struggling before the crisis. With paused Sky Sports payments across the board, I'd be amazed if they have the money to pay the current Premier League deal up. I think the recession that is going to follow lockdown and the intevitable tax increases will cause millions to have to cut costs. It could easily be that the days of expensive TV packages and billions being spent on securing rights for covering sports are over. Advertising revenue is down so the likes of Facebook who were rumoured to be interested in getting a sports portfolio will also be struggling and even Amazon, despite the flood of orders say they will lose money this year.

It's entirely possible that RL/Super League won't get any kind of meaningful TV money in future. It's entirely possible we'll be back to the pre-Super League days where we have one game on terrestial television a week and the majority of the players work 5 days a week.

I really don't see a way all clubs in the current pyramid can survive without making the players redundant. There just isn't the money about to achieve it. Some clubs might be able to cope, but not many. Several Super League sides, including our great rivals would struggle massively if asked to play another season and a half with no gate receipts and reduced/no TV money.

Unless there is some kind of one-off quantitative easing or financial reset, the next 5 years are going to be very different to how life was pre-corona. The stats coming out of places like Germany where they've eased Lockdown aren't great, the R number back above 1 and rising daily. There isn't going to be a quick fix for this mess.

Banned

The one word that will always spring to mind is "Relevance" Hunslet is an example used they simply lost relevance, that area of Leeds was slum cleared with thousands dispersed over the City and the heavy industry then closing down. Interesting point to note: Hunslet played Wigan in a CC Final in 1965 and unluckily lost. Five years later they finished bottom of the league and Parkside their ground was lost in acrimonious circumstances with many feeling Leeds RL played a part in this.

Huddersfield I have a huge soft spot for and Ken Davy has thrown the kitchen sink at it but he is 83, when he dies, what happens next? Widnes what a RL town that was, miles ahead of Warrington but RL is losing relevance in the Town and has been for a long time. Swinton, Oldham its a broad brush. I don't know how the finances work out but the way forward could be a ten team super league and what a bun fight that would become. I personally would see that looking today like. Saints Wigan Leeds Warrington Hull Catalans Toulouse Toronto given licences and two other licences which if backed by SKY/Other serious investment like Toronto seem to have, would be London and Newcastle perhaps?. Running from March to September. Then a twelve team part time winter championship with the strongest of the rest. Everything else then BARLA as a winter game and amateur. Relevance may then come back if SKY package the product over 12 months. However for this to work SKY need to realise they are killing the game and have been for ten years.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I doubt Sky will have the money for an enhance deal. With virtually no sport to show they have probably lost a lot of customers. Football will have suffered financially and will be screwing Sky for all they can get. I did have hopes of an enhance deal, but I think we will be lucky to retain the status quo. Hopefully I am talking rubbish.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I doubt Sky will have the money for an enhance deal. With virtually no sport to show they have probably lost a lot of customers. Football will have suffered financially and will be screwing Sky for all they can get. I did have hopes of an enhance deal, but I think we will be lucky to retain the status quo. Hopefully I am talking rubbish.
    Wishful thinking, but we might see a realignment in the next few years, if football screw SKY then they might take the loss and put the sport further down the pecking order and invest more in Rugby Union and Rugby League because covering Football might not be cost effective.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Wishful thinking, but we might see a realignment in the next few years, if football screw SKY then they might take the loss and put the sport further down the pecking order and invest more in Rugby Union and Rugby League because covering Football might not be cost effective.
    As a football fan I'd like to see that, the amount of money involved is obscene and ruins the game for me, and there's plenty who agree with that. I think something worth discussing between the 2 games and Sky is, that first and foremost they do put money in, however as such they expect an element of control. For example, mid week games, kick off times, disparaging towards cup competitions (both games), VAR/Video ref. Now obviously, with football there's huge amount of money compared to RL but does that really offset making the game worse in the eyes of fans. I've said before, as have plenty of others we need a stronger leadership and to work with Sky as a necessary evil inside of allowing them to ride roughshod over the game.

As far as RL on TV goes.

Thursday night 19:30 k/o
    Friday night 19:30/20:00 k/o
    Saturday 17:00 k/o
    1 hour highlights program shown through the week.

Aside from TV games, I think clubs should be encouraged to play on a weekend with afternoon kick offs. I know some will say that negates corporate clients but to be honest, I'm not really interested in them, we're trying to make our game better, not selling out to business men who fancy a •••• up and a meal.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Just read on BBC sport about football being expected to repay TV money for unplayed games. A similar situation for RL clubs could be disastrous.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Wasn't the stand at Featherstone named after a Radio D J who's so famous I can't remember his name?

I assumed he had made some sort of financial contribution.
    I was with Adam Fogarty in that stand when it had just been built , not saying it's built in any confusing way , but foggy got up to leave and left through a "normal" door only to come back through it , why may you ask ? , because it was a 'broom cupboard' , or a cleaners cupboard, the place was in hysterics Adam took it well lol.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    I was with Adam Fogarty in that stand when it had just been built , not saying it's built in any confusing way , but foggy got up to leave and left through a "normal" door only to come back through it , why may you ask ? , because it was a 'broom cupboard' , or a cleaners cupboard, the place was in hysterics Adam took it well lol.
    Adam Fogarty, the guy who decked Jack Duckworth