Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - Rugby League Implications

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It isn't anyones problem but their own. We are lucky enough to be bankrolled by Mcmanus, if we weren't we could have been in a similar situation. If you don't want to pay £25 to go no one is making you. I just feel both sides are in a bit of a catch 22 situation. Neither can afford the money to move, no one seems to want to build them a stadium and they will struggle (Wakey especially) to attract crowds due to them playing in decrepid stadia.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    And if my Auntie had balls she’d be my uncle. The fact is we are bank roles by McManus and Coleman, but the ground was funded via lots of different sources Tesco etc. The arguments held up by Cas and Wakey are straw, every club this side of the Pennines has modern facilities, paid for via numerous different means. All the areas are economically deprived, so what is the excuse?

Even Fev have done something about their ground and have a nice little ground, but as a consequence didn’t go made trying to get into super league.

Got A Replica Shirt

It isn't anyones problem but their own. We are lucky enough to be bankrolled by Mcmanus, if we weren't we could have been in a similar situation. If you don't want to pay £25 to go no one is making you. I just feel both sides are in a bit of a catch 22 situation. Neither can afford the money to move, no one seems to want to build them a stadium and they will struggle (Wakey especially) to attract crowds due to them playing in decrepid stadia.

This is the thing - Saints are terrifically lucky to have a pair of wealthy backers. Without them the position would be similar to Wakey and Cas. Only a couple of the clubs (possibly only one) in the league are sustainable businesses, for the rest it's the luck of the draw as to how rich the people at the top are. Deriding clubs just for being poor isn't a great look.

Banned

I do get what you mean and both those teams have probably got a bit tight in this thread as they're not alone, HKR is a tip and the away end at Headingly is still the same. My point is that clubs east of the pennines seem to always get away with the bare minimum while we generally have shit together (and can afford new carpets in some cases).

Banned

This might be an entirely naive view from an outsider point-of-view but wouldn't clubs on the western side of the Pennines be in a better economic position simply by location?

I know that the traditional industries of St. Helens, Warrington and Wigan have either largely or entirely gone but all three nestle comfortably within commuting distance of two huge centres of employment. Unless I'm very wrong, that wouldn't be the case with clubs on the eastern side because even the big cities of Yorkshire have been struggling economically for a seriously long time. Maybe Leeds might be an exception to that but to my (limited) knowledge even Leeds hasn't seen a recovery on a par with Liverpool and Manchester (obviously those areas do have problems but they've regenerated much more).

Certainly as an outsider, you ask me to name the two biggest economic centres of northern England and I, and most in my situation, would reply Manchester and Liverpool. As I said, maybe it's naivety but I'd always have imagined that the northwest of England had a lot more going for it than Yorkshire (urban wise, obviously some of the countryside in both is stupendous).

In the case of Castleford, it's a very small town so that must have an effect too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    And if my Auntie had balls she’d be my uncle. The fact is we are bank roles by McManus and Coleman, but the ground was funded via lots of different sources Tesco etc. The arguments held up by Cas and Wakey are straw, every club this side of the Pennines has modern facilities, paid for via numerous different means. All the areas are economically deprived, so what is the excuse?

Even Fev have done something about their ground and have a nice little ground, but as a consequence didn’t go made trying to get into super league.
    The current owners of Wakefield only appeared to have bought the ground in 2016 apparently with a view of redeveloping which I will believe when I see it.

A proposal for a Tesco in Wakefield was rejected by the Council in 2013 due to a possible negative effect on the town centre, not that there was a stadium plan but if there were it may have been a non starter anyway.

Just because 2 clubs in the North West managed to get funding to build their own stadium doesn't mean that everyone can. Leigh and Widnes rent theirs from Councils and Wigan could have been playing in Horwich.

It is all well and good saying balls, uncles and aunts but due to McManus who by hook and crook got us our stadium we can consider ourselves lucky. Very lucky.

Banned

The current owners of Wakefield only appeared to have bought the ground in 2016 apparently with a view of redeveloping which I will believe when I see it.

A proposal for a Tesco in Wakefield was rejected by the Council in 2013 due to a possible negative effect on the town centre, not that there was a stadium plan but if there were it may have been a non starter anyway.

Just because 2 clubs in the North West managed to get funding to build their own stadium doesn't mean that everyone can. Leigh and Widnes rent theirs from Councils and Wigan could have been playing in Horwich.

It is all well and good saying balls, uncles and aunts but due to McManus who by hook and crook got us our stadium we can consider ourselves lucky. Very lucky.

Wigan rent their stadium from a Wigan Athletic subsidiary and WAFC built it when that club had a, in relative terms, rich benefactor and the club was on a serious rise. So much for a "great" rugby league town.

Banned

Reply.

We were told by the RFL in 2008 no new stadium no new licence for super league and we by sheer graft led by Eamon got a new stadium, Eamon didn't have twenty million pounds spare at the time.

Those two clubs on the east are twelve years later no nearer to having even inside bogs. The RFL led by that fat cretin until recent times sat munching pontefract cakes with them. I would throw them both out and bring Fev and Leigh or Widnes in there places. Yes it is up to the likes of Dave or Ralph to keep paying twenty five quid to •••• in a drain but if the away support collapsed from Saints, Wigan and Wire they may just listen.

Saints were never getting kicked out of the league. Never in a month of Sundays. We needed a new stadium to kick on to the next level financially and to attract better players as the game moved forward.

I'd prefer the league to be sorted on field. I take your point regarding Leigh and Widnes but despite having new stadiums they haven't showered themselves in glory financially recently either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
    Wigan rent their stadium from a Wigan Athletic subsidiary and WAFC built it when that club had a, in relative terms, rich benefactor and the club was on a serious rise. So much for a "great" rugby league town.
    It was probably just before our rise but the ambition was there. We languished in what was then the 3rd division for a few years.

Depending on who you believe rumours were that Central Park was already sold to Tesco before were they were guaranteed to be ground sharing the then JJB and Wigan were considering playing at the Reebok.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think the Lancs cup was the first cup I seen Saints win, certainly live anyway. It was against Rochdale at Wilderspool around 1990, I don't remember much about the game just us lifting the cup and being absolutely buzzing afterwards. It was also one of the first games when my Dad started going again and seemed to play a part in him getting back in to the game.
    1991. The Semi Final vs Wigan at KR was effectively the Final. What a night that was.

We all took the Final for granted and nearly ballsed it up, but came through comfortably in the end.

Got A Season Ticket

There was a time before he went to Leeds Mr Caddick wanted to invest all his millions in Cas but was turned away that tells people all they need to know about some of the regime's that have been in charge at Cas over the years
    There seems to be good people in charge now and the club as made money over the last few years and it looked like the club had caught a massive break when a new ground was agreed to be built in the new complex over the rode from Excape sadly that looks to be unlikely now given the present state of retail but nothing as been announced yet
    No question more could and should have been over the years to improve facility's at Weldon Rd every cas supporter will tell you that I would imagine
    Cas is a small rugby mad town just over 40,000 people live there and to get a support of 7 -8 thousand is a good effort I think
    I know I'm missing like mad not watching rugby league and i hope all clubs come through this to the other side

Banned

Hi Steve, please don't think we are having a go at your speccies they are good and loyal fans. The stadium issue is a bone of contention and frankly that main stand, I don't know how it gets a safety cert.

Your point about the real money man at Leeds is a new one on me. People think the other guy is the money man but it seems you know what the real deal is. If he had been welcomed at Cas I bet double glazer would have ended up with him.

Learning All The Songs

The wanting to belong to a team, passion for your town/city, love for a brand is a strange concept.
    Without wanting to derail this thread Pete McCarthy`s "Macarthy`s Bar & Road to Macarthy" covers this very subject in an amusing fashion.
    Pete is from Warrington but was educated at West Park when it was a grammar school (does that mean we can claim him)?
    Irish soccer is struggling and part professional, regular attending supporters of St. Patricks Athletic (they plagiarize all our merchandise) number around 1500-2000, the local Liverpool & Man Utd supporters group from this same area have 5000 plus members.
    Attendances of matches can see anywhere upwards of 2000 travelling fans for these teams from Ireland, these same fans would be saying Stevie Gerard was God and worshiped at Scholes & Beckham`s feet yet would wish injury on these players once they put an England shirt on whether it was against Ireland or not.
    It is another irony/anomaly of fickle supporters.
    Personally I fully support the GB/England RL as it gives us an identity in the worldwide sports arena.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Hi Steve, please don't think we are having a go at your speccies they are good and loyal fans. The stadium issue is a bone of contention and frankly that main stand, I don't know how it gets a safety cert.

Your point about the real money man at Leeds is a new one on me. People think the other guy is the money man but it seems you know what the real deal is. If he had been welcomed at Cas I bet double glazer would have ended up with him.
    Hetherington made a very, very tidy (£1m+) sum by selling Sheffield Eagles.
    Nobody was under any illusions though that Caddick was the financial backer at Leeds at the start because someone needed to guarantee the existing debt. But he's always let Hetherington run the show 100% and has been rewarded tidily for his investment, both in being repaid the loans he put in, then in taking profit out and in ultimately in the value of the investment itself.

Got A Season Ticket

No idea about Hethrington mate but Caddick was trying to buy into Cas before he got involved with Leeds I know he was having talks with Hicksons about that time as well who I believe were the major sponsor at the time or one of them anyway
    Without going into all the ins and outs I don't think he was over impressed with the people in charge at Cas at that time at least that's the impression I got

Carvell, the head of the RL Players Union warning about the threat of Blacklisting, also says most players have accepted pay cuts and need assurance on player safety before any commencement of the game.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...cklist-players

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Carvell, the head of the RL Players Union warning about the threat of Blacklisting, also says most players have accepted pay cuts and need assurance on player safety before any commencement of the game.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...cklist-players
    Good. The players aren't millionaires, the very top players here in SL can earn enough to be comfortable but the majority need a trade to fall back on after their careers. Any club taking advantage of this situation and using it against the players to save as much as possible should be faced with legal action

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Good. The players aren't millionaires, the very top players here in SL can earn enough to be comfortable but the majority need a trade to fall back on after their careers. Any club taking advantage of this situation and using it against the players to save as much as possible should be faced with legal action
    Seconded

Banned

But have a guess who is all over twitter with a different opinion Ralph? Yes Carter the Wakey slumdog millionaire chairman.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

But have a guess who is all over twitter with a different opinion Ralph? Yes Carter the Wakey slumdog millionaire chairman.
    I actually think Double Glazing is worse than him. But to be one up from the bottom isn't much to be proud of.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Seconded
    Motion carried.

See. They're already at it. I'd hold my hands up and say "fair enough" if they weren't going to take any of that money but we all know that they will. Paying their share back though, well we will see.

If you question the terms of the money, then don't take any of it (I'm certainly concerned at the ability of the sport as a whole to get it paid back). Do it on your own. Which we all know is fantasy
    Last edited by Ralph Fridge; 5th May 2020 at 06:21.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    See. They're already at it. I'd hold my hands up and say "fair enough" if they weren't going to take any of that money but we all know that they will. Paying their share back though, well we will see.

If you question the terms of the money, then don't take any of it (I'm certainly concerned at the ability of the sport as a whole to get it paid back). Do it on your own. Which we all know is fantasy
    Carter has literally said he is loathe to take on any of the money as it's just additional debt.
    But, you know, actually reading what people said is perhaps a bit too much effort?

Learning All The Songs

Well that didn’t take long, maybe with my newfound power to predict the future I should put the lottery on this week.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of '99 View Post
    Carter has literally said he is loathe to take on any of the money as it's just additional debt.
    But, you know, actually reading what people said is perhaps a bit too much effort?
    Surely everyone understands what a loan means. Of course it’s additional debt, and it looks like the RFL are going to want it repaid. I take it that is what Carter has an issue with.