Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Coronavirus - Rugby League Implications

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Looked very briefly at the football from Germany last night, soulless is the only way to describe it, no disrespect at all intended, but far worse than watching Salford at home to Huddersfield, when all you can hear is a bit of encouragement coming from the ground staff. I'm looking forward to the game starting again, but not with the same enthusiasm as normal, part of going to a game is being caught up in the communal reaction and support of the crowd, not sat in your living room watching a game played in an empty ground. I'm sure the players also will find it hard to raise their game without encouragement, despite what they say about blocking the noise out when they're playing. Sorry to be a pessimist, but I don't think I'm the only one
    Absolutely agree with you but sadly it'll be needs must to save the game.

It was strange watching the Bundesliga yesterday. I enjoyed having live sport back but the intensity was lacking and felt a bit like a training game. I will have to see how it feels when my footy and rugby team play behind closed doors to see if the emotional aspect will be there or whether that connection will be lacking when it all restarts in the UK again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I usually watch televised rugby with the sound off because of the annoying commentary
    so the absence of crowd wont matter

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Well it's 2 months since the last the game and at least another month away from the next so I'd say they'd be hard pushed even if they bin the cup and loop fixtures.
    If there is any chance of a season then I think its almost a given that the cup and loop fixtues will go.

Im not sure we will even be able to fit a straight home/ away format in?

If we have play offs it has to be just two semis and a final.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    If there is any chance of a season then I think its almost a given that the cup and loop fixtues will go.

Im not sure we will even be able to fit a straight home/ away format in?

If we have play offs it has to be just two semis and a final.
    It could be an exciting season if we just completed on a home and away basis and the top team becomes Superleague Champions like it was 24 years ago, if we start in July then we finish end of October. The other Hetherington option 3 games a week and all the players will be knackered for 4 months after completion.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It could be an exciting season if we just completed on a home and away basis and the top team becomes Superleague Champions like it was 24 years ago, if we start in July then we finish end of October. The other Hetherington option 3 games a week and all the players will be knackered for 4 months after completion.
    Indeed.

I think Cas would have a real shout if we went that way

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I think super League will hold out hope of stadia full of people being allowed by late October / November, nobody knows what will be allowed by then.

There's about 27 weeks till then, so plenty of time

Even if they only start in four weeks it would mean getting rid of magic, reducing the playoffs to 1st to a GF, 2 vs 3rd? Would mean only a handful of midweek games

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I think super League will hold out hope of stadia full of people being allowed by late October / November, nobody knows what will be allowed by then.

Even if they only start in four weeks it would mean getting rid of magic, reducing the playoffs to 1st to a GF, 2 vs 3rd? Would mean only a handful of midweek games
    Sounds good to me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Hetherington can't see past the pound signs in his eyes.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

The latest I'd heard from a good source was they plan to play the season as normal but there will be some mid week fixtures. Loop fixtures will remain as will the cup. Play offs will be shorted to a top 4 (the previous system).

Magic weekend likely to be split over two venues (Yorkshire & Lancashire) and all 6 game son TV over the weekend.

CC final potentially on GF day at Old Trafford and Grand Final late November potentially at Old Trafford too.

Whether that's still the plan I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

If we see no crowds before 2021 I would try to finish the league season and simply have FPTP, because the whole point of play offs is to culminate in the Grand Final. No crowds means no point having a Grand Final, so do away with the play offs for one season and just play games weekly behind closed doors and decide the title that way.

Within a few weeks I think players will get used to behind closed doors, but conversely I also think any type of home advantage will quickly evaporate with no crowds. So, we'll have weeks and weeks of games that are basically at neutral venues. This is fine because it has to happen, but the marquee games (Grand Final, Cup Final, Semi Finals) will look no different to the weekly games. The whole essence of these comps is winning the two big games that have the most pressure, and the two biggest crowds of the season. With no crowds, those Finals would be completely diluted to the point of not really being valid finals IMO.

We could obviously win both comps, but if Saints won the Challenge Cup after beating (for example) Leeds at an empty HJ in the semi then beating Castleford at an empty OT in the Final I can't imagine it would mean anywhere near as much. So, I'd dump the marquee games for one season and just have a shortened league season, FPTP, and then reset everything in time for 2021.

The idea of having Magic Weekend is risky IMO. Why would we openly want 6 or 12 teams in the same building on the same day if an outbreak amongst even a small amount of players could almost end a season?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    If we see no crowds before 2021 I would try to finish the league season and simply have FPTP, because the whole point of play offs is to culminate in the Grand Final. No crowds means no point having a Grand Final, so do away with the play offs for one season and just play games weekly behind closed doors and decide the title that way.

Within a few weeks I think players will get used to behind closed doors, but conversely I also think any type of home advantage will quickly evaporate with no crowds. So, we'll have weeks and weeks of games that are basically at neutral venues. This is fine because it has to happen, but the marquee games (Grand Final, Cup Final, Semi Finals) will look no different to the weekly games. The whole essence of these comps is winning the two big games that have the most pressure, and the two biggest crowds of the season. With no crowds, those Finals would be completely diluted to the point of not really being valid finals IMO.

We could obviously win both comps, but if Saints won the Challenge Cup after beating (for example) Leeds at an empty HJ in the semi then beating Castleford at an empty OT in the Final I can't imagine it would mean anywhere near as much. So, I'd dump the marquee games for one season and just have a shortened league season, FPTP, and then reset everything in time for 2021.

The idea of having Magic Weekend is risky IMO. Why would we openly want 6 or 12 teams in the same building on the same day if an outbreak amongst even a small amount of players could almost end a season?

If they're looking at Old Trafford for the two finals, then they're working on the basis of there being crowds there - because without crowds they may as well play at any club ground, which would cost a damn sight less than OT.

The longer this whole thing drags on, with repeated false dawns about vaccines, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that sooner or later we're just going to have to live with this and get back to normal. It doesn't help when an increasingly large minority aren't bothering with social distancing anymore - from gangs of teenagers congregating, to flag-shagging idiots having p*ss-ups for the VE Day thing, to other scrotey gobshites throwing parties, to selfish pillocks in supermarkets ignoring the 2m 'rule'. The farce is that most of these will be outside their houses on a Thursday evening clapping and putting rainbows in their windows to support the NHS, then going back to doing their selfish things and helping spread this virus and heap more pressure on doctors & nurses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

Magic would be absolute madness so naturally the RFL/SL will look to push it. I must admit, if I was a player, I don't think I'd be up for that one, especially on reduced wages. If we have to keep it then just play it as a normal round but to be honest, it's just an extra round that we don't need at the moment.

Starting A Programme Collection

Can’t see any rugby league restarting this year.

Far to risky for the players . Plus when the players are allowed into full contact a pre season would need to take place to prevent injury . To many factors that may potentially affect the players and there families .

Forget this year and start talking about next season. Fingers crossed , a vaccine is found by then

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If they're looking at Old Trafford for the two finals, then they're working on the basis of there being crowds there - because without crowds they may as well play at any club ground, which would cost a damn sight less than OT.
    Yep, you're obviously right in that respect. I just don't see how Man United and other football clubs could be told unofficially that there's not much chance of having crowds this year, then we plan for 70,000 to be there for a Grand Final.

If that comes out as the official plan for the season we will then have the scenario where teams could get to August/September knowing that the GF isn't going to have a crowd and probably not be at OT. This will mean we're all playing games behind closed doors in order to then have play-offs behind closed doors to then have a Grand Final at a club ground behind closed doors. That to me would act as a massive dis-incentive if I'm a player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I don't think we will see a Final in any form if crowd restrictions are still in place, for this season we might as well go top of the league as Superleague Champions, good incentive for Warrington who can't buy a Grand final win this century.

I don't think we will see a Final in any form if crowd restrictions are still in place, for this season we might as well go top of the league as Superleague Champions, good incentive for Warrington who can't buy a Grand final win this century.
    Can't be having Wire as champions. Bin the championship off & just have a League Leader....

Give them the plate

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Can't be having Wire as champions. Bin the championship off & just have a League Leader....

Give them the plate
    Whoever wins it this year, it's going to be a bit tainted. It would be almost amusing for them to win it and their fans carry on like they've won the champions league, ashes and tour de france.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Whoever wins it this year, it's going to be a bit tainted. It would be almost amusing for them to win it and their fans carry on like they've won the champions league, ashes, Tour de France, WCC, FA cup, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, a Nobel prize, Victoria cross, An Oscar, Xmas number 1, a Bafta, a Brit, platinum disc, Britain’s got Talent, WBC World Heavyweight Championship, an MBE and the X factor..... .
    Fixed that for you.

They won the World Cup when they nilled us.......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.