Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Coach - Poll

Banned

Default Greatest Coach - Poll

Rugby-League.com's latest poll is to vote for the greatest coach, presumably ever.

My suggestion is don't f***ing bother, because the people who drew up the list must be simpletons. I'm really not sure what the criteria is, because it's farcical. The choices are:

Mal Reilly
    Brian McDermott
    Shaun Wane
    John Kear
    Wayne Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Rugby-League.com's latest poll is to vote for the greatest coach, presumably ever.

My suggestion is don't f***ing bother, because the people who drew up the list must be simpletons. I'm really not sure what the criteria is, because it's farcical. The choices are:

Mal Reilly
    Brian McDermott
    Shaun Wane
    John Kear
    Wayne Bennett
    Deary me.

Eric Ashton?
    Jim Sullivan?
    Craig Bellamy?
    Trent Robinson?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by webbo again View Post
    rugby-league.com's latest poll is to vote for the greatest coach, presumably ever.

Mal reilly
    brian mcdermott
    shaun wane
    john kear
    wayne bennett

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Mal Reilly
    Brian McDermott
    Shaun Wane
    John Kear
    Wayne Bennett
    Gives Wigan a chance of getting one selected.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Jack Gibson ?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

often success as a coach is a combination of a good coach and a good group of players.

The acid test is to win Silverware with more than one team.

Tony Smith had success a few times with Leeds and Warrington

John Kear with Sheffield and Hull

Alex Murphy won the cup with Leigh and Warrington but the Leigh one was as a player coach, not too sure about Warrington.

Jim Sullivan was a bit before my time but I think he won trophies with Saints and Wigan

On that basis, somewhat reluctantly, I'd have to put Tony Smith has best U K based coach

I know some of the Aussie coaches have won trophies over here and then back in Australia but I'm not too well up on them

Banned

Just to clarify a point. The original list was six and to be fair to the RFL they told Double Glazed Gary he couldn't pick himself.

The RFL are a Leeds rabble and let's just remember one of our coaches won a World Cup a Championship and a Challenge Cup. Jim Chanillor take a bow. Seriously the RFL won't have heard of him.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Only two coaches have won the League leaders (or equivalent), Challenge Cup and been champions of Super League and also won the Aussie Grand Final. Neither of those are on that list, most strange?

In The South Stand

I wont bother voting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Only two coaches have won the League leaders (or equivalent), Challenge Cup and been champions of Super League and also won the Aussie Grand Final. Neither of those are on that list, most strange?
    Maguire & Monie?

Think it's because of the underhand tactics that may have crept in on the odd occasion. Certainly didn't win with any class that's for sure

Banned

You really are a sad individual aren't you?

Got A Season Ticket

Strange list unless it was done as a joke from modern day you'd have to have Craig Bellamy and Trent Robinson on your short list
    From days gone by Eric Ashton Derek Turner Alex Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Maguire & Monie?

Think it's because of the underhand tactics that may have crept in on the odd occasion. Certainly didn't win with any class that's for sure
    Don't bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Don't bite.
    I find it hard not to.

Blatant trolling seems to be allowed now

Banned

Half the problem is a few posters look upon him as a poor old goat who does no harm. My view is he is a spiteful individual who actually hates our club. He comes into this thread throwing his pennies in the stream looking for a reaction. The reaction from me is he is a disgrace both to Rugby League and decent Wigan speccies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Half the problem is a few posters look upon him as a poor old goat who does no harm. My view is he is a spiteful individual who actually hates our club. He comes into this thread throwing his pennies in the stream looking for a reaction. The reaction from me is he is a disgrace both to Rugby League and decent Wigan speccies.
    He's jealous of Saints pal. He knows Wigan had their golden era on an unlevel playing field. Turns every thread into something about Wigan. It's deliberate & it's trolling.

I understand people saying 'don't bite' but it's getting silly.

Suggesting Michael Maguire could be the greatest coach of all time is nonsense to start with. Can imagine him laughing away. In his Norweb shirt

In The South Stand

You have jumped to his whistle , my post after him was " I wont bother voting " I could see what was coming.

Banned

When you look back at Jim Chailinor and his achievements it seems strange he is almost written out of RL history. What he achieved is all within the last 55 years yet he doesn't even appear at Langtree I don't think. Just an overview took Barrow to Wembley as a player coach, won the world cup as GB Coach and won a Challenge Cup and at least a couple of Championships at Saints. If I remember he died very young.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    You have jumped to his whistle , my post after him was " I wont bother voting " I could see what was coming.
    I think not bothering was the right idea.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Lets give you some facts.
    Monie coached Parramatta to their Premiership, true they had the likes of Sterling, Kenny, Price etc etc.
    He then came to Wigan and took over a very good team and won Championships, Challenge Cups, World Club comps etc etc.

When he came back to Wigan in 1998 he didn't have that same quality of squad but went on to win the first Grand Final, a coincidence?

McGuire, came to Wigan as an unknown and with just one signing, Paul Deacon who most on here didn't rate, finished in 1st place and Grand Final winners.
    The year after he coached Wigan to win the Challenge Cup Final.

He then went to South Sydney and within a three years coached them to their 1st Premiership in over 40 years, won the Aukland 9's and World Club Challenge.

A coincidence?

Both were top class coaches and worth of consideration for greatest coach. IMO.

Monie coached Parramatta to their Premiership, true they had the likes of Sterling, Kenny, Price etc etc.
    He then came to Wigan and took over a very good team and won Championships, Challenge Cups, World Club comps etc etc.

When he came back to Wigan in 1998 he didn't have that same quality of squad but went on to win the first Grand Final, a coincidence?

McGuire, came to Wigan as an unknown and with just one signing, Paul Deacon who most on here didn't rate, finished in 1st place and Grand Final winners.

He then went to South Sydney and within a three years coached them to their 1st Premiership in over 40 years, won the Aukland 9's and World Club Challenge.

A coincidence?

I don't think you will find many if any, interested in your facts.

Banned

When he came back to Wigan in 1998 after he laid an egg at Auckland Warriors he didn't have that same quality of squad but went on to win the first Grand Final, a coincidence?

A coincidence?

Corrected. Monie became outdated.

Banned

A coincidence?

Get Stuffed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't think you will find many if any, interested in your facts.
    It’s always a source of curiosity to see how the obsessively bigoted someone can be.
    Especially when they open with ‘facts.’ Is RG Benitez in disguise.

For example by many of the same criteria surely Ian Millward is a shout: you know was unknown, inherited a dishevelled squad in crisis, won multiple Leagues and Challenge Cups... oh and he won WCC. And, just like Monie stunk in the NRL. In fairness I did think Murphy because under him Saints won the Carlisle 7s which was massive and eclipsed everything he achieved at Leigh.

See I can be a bigot too! RG is a shit bigot who I used to own periodically until it was tiresome. Hopefully he has worked out the going rate for recarpeting post recession. I’m sure it can be offset by a hike in wedding hire at the DW, especially when your rivals are playing the same day.

RG is what the late, great Ron Hoofe would have called a “pleb” of the highest order.

Banned

Superb Eddie. Well thought out and well scribed.