Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Wellens

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    Sentiment aside I reckon there’s a few SL clubs that should be out of reach as an initial appointment for first team coach. We’re one of them. It’s simply too risky as a first appointment when you consider the range of demands placed on an individual with no previous experience at the top in what can be a very lonely place. Coaching, tactics, research, media, fans relationships, community, squad balance, signings, dismissals, time mgt, stress mgt, leadership, counselling.....................a lot to consider at any club let alone a top club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, and I hope we've learned a hard lesson.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to that, but didn't Longy leave because he was told he wouldn't be considered as head coach. Maybe if Woolf fails the board may change their stance.
    That may be a factor in he's decisions to leave BUT when you can treble your income immediately anyone would have no hesitation whatsoever , everyone has thier price and in longy's cace it was a fair few Bob.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    That may be a factor in he's decisions to leave BUT when you can treble your income immediately anyone would have no hesitation whatsoever , everyone has thier price and in longy's cace it was a fair few Bob.
    Well good luck to him. I still think that we are missing him in attack, but whether that is due to his absence or Woolfs "doing it his way" I don't know. But if we can't afford him so be it.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Well good luck to him. I still think that we are missing him in attack, but whether that is due to his absence or Woolfs "doing it his way" I don't know. But if we can't afford him so be it.
    I'd have long back in a shot no worries whatsoever.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    We'd have probably said the same thing about Cunningham though and look how that turned out.
    Sentiment aside I reckon there’s a few SL clubs that should be out of reach as an initial appointment for first team coach. We’re one of them. It’s simply too risky as a first appointment when you consider the range of demands placed on an individual with no previous experience at the top in what can be a very lonely place. Coaching, tactics, research, media, fans relationships, community, squad balance, signings, dismissals, time mgt, stress mgt, leadership, counselling.....................a lot to consider at any club let alone a top club.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Same here, I get the feeling the timing was off when he asked about the saints coach position, I reckon he would take a drop in salary with union to be a Head Coach of the Saints. Tactically he comes across as a "Millward Style' of his way of doing things with maybe Wellens a steadying influence.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 20th April 2020 at 13:28.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I'm not seeing Woolf particular good in any of those attributes so far, hope he proves me wrong though in the medium to longer term.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I'm not seeing Woolf particular good in any of those attributes so far, hope he proves me wrong though in the medium to longer term.
    Neither am I to be fair, he’s already lost me I’m afraid.

In The South Stand

The right person doesn't need to of been a head coach,Maguire at Wigan and Holbrook for example.

Banned

Holbrook could go and sell pies in Wigan Market and get it right. Some people just have it and he is one of those. I bet Justin like us all wishes for one minute he could be Cunningham at Wembley in 1996.

Banned

Me too, he just gets what the club is about. I've decided to re-read his book his book as it cheers me up no end the lunatic. Hope your well Roy.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    We'd have probably said the same thing about Cunningham though and look how that turned out.
    Yes it's unbelievable the players of quality he played with and the success the "Saints way" achieved with him in the team yet a lot of his signings were second rate at best and his style of play was alien to everyone except him. From Hero to Zero in a few easy steps. But I think Wello would be as dismayed as everyone about his dismal reign.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

You will remember Greengrass Bobby Charlton as a manager. Great player who thought as a manager he could make mundane great.

I feel Cunningham became the RL version of him he thought he could make his followers great such as Owens and Dawson as starters for ten but he introduced many more.

If anything of all the coaches he played under he was close in style to Hanley, his way or the highway and Holdroyd better than Martyn and it nearly happened. Wello I feel is more people orientated than Kez so is not process obsessed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    You will remember Greengrass Bobby Charlton as a manager. Great player who thought as a manager he could make mundane great.

I feel Cunningham became the RL version of him he thought he could make his followers great such as Owens and Dawson as starters for ten but he introduced many more.

If anything of all the coaches he played under he was close in style to Hanley, his way or the highway and Holdroyd better than Martyn and it nearly happened. Wello I feel is more people orientated than Kez so is not process obsessed.

There's a long list of great players of both football and RL who have struggled as coaches. There's a school of thought that for many great players, excelling at the game came naturally to them and when they move into management they expect their players to have a similar natural ability. But most players reach their peak level through hard work, training and dedication - and also being guided/tutored by great coaches.

There are obvious exceptions, but the vast majority of the best coaches in both football and RL seem to have been good (even very good in some cases) players but who were generally unspectacular and hardworking.

Cunningham was a physical 'freak' (in the nicest possible sense); he had raw power, was strong as an ox, and coupled that with superb game awareness. He established himself as a 1st team regular in his teens, after bursting onto the scene with some superb displays. Wellens had to work a lot harder, even having to change position; he improved over time as he trained more and learned more.

He's also been big in Jamaica by all accounts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aKR8RW50swA

Noooobie

Holbrook had the right idea to buy into St Helens and the people straight away, he was one of are own. Very much a people person who showed his passion for both the town and the club. Each time the camera showed him watching a game he was playing the game with his passion and passing his messages through his assistants. I watched the Castleford game Woolf was sat watching the game, had in my opinion no idea how to make changes to the game. He has already lost me along with a good few more fans. For me he would have been back in Australia only for the current situation. He may now benefit from the situation as Saints won’t have the money to sack him.