Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: 2004 Challenge Cup final

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Default 2004 Challenge Cup final

is available on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUJHiTdo_A0

I can't believe it was 16 years ago. My favourite final by far. I have never been so nervous before a game in all my life.

I absolutely loved Cardiff but always felt the final should be held at Wembley. However, given the attendences at Wembley the past 15 years and when you see how full the stadium looks, it's a perfect sized stadium for the CC final. The location is fantastic and it looks better on T.V. attracting sponsers etc playing infront of 65,000 people with only a few thousand seats missing, instead of 25,000 seats missing.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    is available on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUJHiTdo_A0

I can't believe it was 16 years ago. My favourite final by far. I have never been so nervous before a game in all my life.

I absolutely loved Cardiff but always felt the final should be held at Wembley. However, given the attendences at Wembley the past 15 years and when you see how full the stadium looks, it's a perfect sized stadium for the CC final. The location is fantastic and it looks better on T.V. attracting sponsers etc playing infront of 65,000 people with only a few thousand seats missing, instead of 25,000 seats missing.
    It should have stayed at Cardiff.

It's one of the biggest blunders the RFL have ever made. And there's been some serious competition.

I detest Wembley. Too big & garbage location

Banned

Also probably my favourite, great day out that and a great stadium. Ended up having my foot X-rayed on the Monday morning following the Sunday celebrations.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

It's one of the biggest blunders the RFL have ever made. And there's been some serious competition.

I think the magic feel of Wembley and a Challenge Cup Final has been lost and the new Wembley Stadium isn't a patch in the old one for atmosphere.

Cardiff although smaller is a better more atmospheric stadium and I'd much rather the final was played there.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

I think if the RFL would have stayed at Cardiff the criticism they'd have recieved for not going back to Wembley would have been to great. Wembley and the CCF was the crown jewel in the calender, even back then, we had to go back.

Wembley will never sell out again whilst we still have Magic, Catalans, Toronto and in the furture possilbly Toulouse and New York. Cardiff is the logical option

In The South Stand

I thought the final should have stayed at Cardiff , what a great day and everything was right and would have been even if we had lost plus I got the chance to sing to a million Saints species before the game , The explanation was my Wife and I stayed for 2 nights in the house of a Cardiff family bed and breakfast , on the morning of the final we had a walk around the city and made our way then to the Saints village a big Marque in front of the stadium . The atmosphere was fantastic and it did not matter about how many pints , so somebody on the stage shouted out for someone to come and start by singing now I only made a bit of a movement forward but a couple of people said come on , I fond myself on the stage with ideas about what I was going to sin then I felt an arm on my shoulder and Sean Hoppe saying what are we singing pal , I looked at a load of Saints supporters in front and said what do you think and sang the well known Saints anthem accompanied by even a Welsh singing group . Happy days C O Y S.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I thought the final should have stayed at Cardiff , what a great day and everything was right and would have been even if we had lost plus I got the chance to sing to a million Saints species before the game , The explanation was my Wife and I stayed for 2 nights in the house of a Cardiff family bed and breakfast , on the morning of the final we had a walk around the city and made our way then to the Saints village a big Marque in front of the stadium . The atmosphere was fantastic and it did not matter about how many pints , so somebody on the stage shouted out for someone to come and start by singing now I only made a bit of a movement forward but a couple of people said come on , I fond myself on the stage with ideas about what I was going to sin then I felt an arm on my shoulder and Sean Hoppe saying what are we singing pal , I looked at a load of Saints supporters in front and said what do you think and sang the well known Saints anthem accompanied by even a Welsh singing group . Happy days C O Y S.
    Good lad Ged ,yes Cardiff was a great venue we should have stayed there.C.O.Y.S.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Imagine Wembley having a Welsh singing group? The welsh might follow the other code but at least they do appreciate League. I have a lot of Welsh friend who are always only to happy to talk about league. Try that in a pub after Wembley and they just think your a yokel from up north.

In The South Stand

I was talking to a bloke in the Marque that day a Welshman , said whereabouts from but I forgot and he was talking about coming up watching Saints so I said tou get to a game now and then , he said no every game in the season.

In The South Stand

I might watch my DVD of the game later , in those days you recorded things by + coding the video recorder and the house that we stayed at had a little lad so at breakfast on the morning of the match I said to the lady of the house ," I have set the video to record but you never know with BBC it might not record " at breakfast on the Sunday after the lad gave me the VHS tape so I gave him some spending money and have enjoyed that game a few times since . The Weekend was wonderful atmosphere second to none and the final should have been kept there.

In The South Stand

O K then last word , what a game , what a team , what a coach . The players looked as if they were enjoying themselves and we ran Wigan ragged . Then onto the pubs in the City enjoying having a drink and a chat with the locals , what a weekend.

No comment on this game from Rogues?

Odd

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

One of Longy’s best that one.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    One of Longy’s best that one.
    Long was unbelievable in that game.