Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading whilst locked down

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

James Patterson. His chapters are only one or two pages long, I've often read 100 pages without realising.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    For history buffs Simon Scarrow's yarns about roman soldiers are excellent and there are a whole series of them.
    I started Simon Scarrows books, but they were a bit too close to Bernard Cornwell, which I was reading at the time and wanted something a bit different. I may have to revisit them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    James Patterson. His chapters are only one or two pages long, I've often read 100 pages without realising.
    He also finishes his chapters near the top of a page and starts his next chapter near the bottom of the next page, so you have 1 1/2 page gap between each chapter. A lot of them should be classed as short stories.

Learning All The Songs

This year's Wisden arrives tomorrow. That'll keep me occupied.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    I started Simon Scarrows books, but they were a bit too close to Bernard Cornwell, which I was reading at the time and wanted something a bit different. I may have to revisit them.

If you are into historical fiction.
    Might I suggest “The Master of War” series by David Gillman. Superb reading.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    If you are into historical fiction.
    Might I suggest “The Master of War” series by David Gillman. Superb reading.
    David Gillman is very good reading Wirefox, if you enjoyed that try any by Dido Soutriou "Farewell Anatolia" is an excellent book to start on Asia Minor, Triple Entente and all that, though written from a Greek perspective it is well balanced.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Generally only get time to read when on holiday. Got quite a few waiting. Really only ever read sporting or music biographies and other music books.
    Just started England's Dreaming- Sex Pistols and Punk Rock by John Savage.
    Great book that, if that is your thing try Liverpool Wonderous Place, on history of the city music scene or Redemption Song the Joe Strummer biography.

I’m torturing myself with travel books, pretty much my only genre these days, Dervla Murphy on Cuba at moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post

I’m torturing myself with travel books, pretty much my only genre these days, Dervla Murphy on Cuba at moment.
    That's definitely torturing yourself. Does make you wonder how long our borders are going to be closed for, doesn't it? Having said that, perhaps it's not such a bad place to be at the moment.
    Last edited by singe; 13th April 2020 at 09:12.

Got A Season Ticket

Tess of the D’Urbervilles is very good but very sad.

Michael Connelly is excellent. Harry Bosch is my favourite fictional character – ornery, cussed. I’m trying to think of a Saints player like him.

Ace Atkins’ Quinn Colson series 1-9 is good, starting with The Ranger.

Robert B Parker’s novels are easy reads – main characters Spenser and Jesse Stone, and the classic Double Play, combining thriller, civil rights and baseball set circa 1947 (a black player breaks into Major League).

The Hundred Years War Volume I by Jonathan Sumption is very accessible. Edward III’s problems with money, tax and debt were no different from today. Volume II will get me through lockdown, I reckon.

The Frank Sterling series might pique someone’s interest (I wrote them). The Golden Spurs is set in Kortrijk (that’s for Belgian Saint).

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Great book that, if that is your thing try Liverpool Wonderous Place, on history of the city music scene or Redemption Song the Joe Strummer biography.

Yeah read Redemption Song. Good one.

Got A Season Ticket

Just a reminder about my latest novel "Three Good Years" in which the main two characters are both Saints fans who live in the fictional town of Ashurst which is located about four miles east of the Totally Wicked Stadium. It has been described by Ray French as "a cracking read" and is available from the publisher London League Publications. Visit www.llpshop.co.uk. Click on Books and then Fiction. Also there you will see the biographies of five former Saints.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by glee View Post
    Just a reminder about my latest novel "Three Good Years" in which the main two characters are both Saints fans who live in the fictional town of Ashurst which is located about four miles east of the Totally Wicked Stadium. It has been described by Ray French as "a cracking read" and is available from the publisher London League Publications. Visit www.llpshop.co.uk. Click on Books and then Fiction. Also there you will see the biographies of five former Saints.
    Good plug glee, I was wondering if anyone would nominate your tomes, read all the season one`s, great reading for RL fans not just Saints.
    You could be in any Northern Industrial factory /business these places all had those characters, I was a Pilks apprentice from early 80`s and was back in Sheet works or Cowley hill whilst reading them.
    I did not know you had penned more I shall order the others immediately.

Got A Season Ticket

If you have read all the seasons ones (One Winter, One Spring, One Summer and One Autumn) number five is called Two Seasons and the latest is called Three Good Years. I have also written two A4 sheets advising and encouraging any one who wants to write a novel based on their own life, how to do it. That is basically what I have done. E Mail me at wgeofflee@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.
    This offer also applies to any other Saints fan too.
    Last edited by glee; 13th April 2020 at 14:09.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

I would highly recommend The Berlin Noir series by Philip Kerr. Set around the Second World War a policeman who finds himself working for, but at odds with the Nazis. Has a fantastic central character with some dark humour thrown in.
    If anyone fancies an updated version of John Le Carre then the Slough House series by Mick Herron is just the ticket, starts with Slow Horses.
    Enjoy your reading and stay healthy!

Banned

Some good choices Wolfie. I am reading Mission Impoosible by Simon Moran. Duckie was on another site he has found Janet and John and has quickly progressed to 7A.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

If you like your history Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield is a very good read. Brutal and at times almost hard to read but impossible to put down and it brings the Battle of Thermopylae to life.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Been reading and watching the documentary of China's biological warfare over the past decade, very interesting facts about Shi (Batwoman) Zhengli on what she achieved in 2015 and lots of investigations have come out of it which I should imagine will damage China very shortly.

I do like a good conspiracy theory that turns into a factual one, the one above does have legs once the jigsaw of facts are completed.

Banned

The Strange Death of David Kelly. Interesting if slightly heavy (not a difficult read, just not light reading). Need to read something a little light-hearted after finishing it as I've read a few like this lately.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Worth a read, 'Vaccines the biggest medical fraud in history' by Eleanor Mcbean, Sue Martson, Ida Honorof and Trung Nguyen. How vaccines cause cancer, leprosy, syphilis, miscarriages, etc. Polio was a manmade disease. No profit in healthy people.
    Does it come with its own tin foil hat or do you have to make your own

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Does it come with its own tin foil hat or do you have to make your own
    A tin foil hat and the foreword by David Icke.

Seriously though, with what's going on in the world, people who post this shite online want to have a serious word with themselves. Sad, pathetic weirdo's spreading fear and panic to the vunerable and weak minded.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Worth a read, 'Vaccines the biggest medical fraud in history' by Eleanor Mcbean, Sue Martson, Ida Honorof and Trung Nguyen. How vaccines cause cancer, leprosy, syphilis, miscarriages, etc. Polio was a manmade disease. No profit in healthy people.
    How about Fly Fishing by J R Hartley?

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

I've contacted all the local bookshops and the Library and no one has heard of Whilst Locked Down who is the author is it a thriller.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

Reading Rugby League in Twentieth Century Britain by Tony Collins now. Enjoying it.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    How about Fly Fishing by J R Hartley?

Read it. Not much good.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Some good choices Wolfie. I am reading Mission Impoosible by Simon Moran. Duckie was on another site he has found Janet and John and has quickly progressed to 7A.
    Are the sequels out yet, Mission Impossible 2,3,4,5,6......when all said and done the live version has been going on as long as the Moustrap