Jungle Out There Banner
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: This Sporting Life

  1. #1
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    2

    Default This Sporting Life

    With time on our hands its time to perhaps revisit or see something for the first time. This Sporting Life is a 1963 film which follows Frank Machin played by Richard Harris in his world as a professional rugby league player. A very gritty film of its era well worth watching and you will see how Belle Vue went from one of the best appointed RL stadiums to what it is today. Also clips of the old Thrum Hall ground previous home to Halifax.

  2. #2
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,996
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    The novel is worth reading, too.

  3. #3
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,211
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    The crowd scenes were filmed at a Wakefield v Wigan Challenge Cup tie and the crowd was around 28,000. I was there as a quite a young boy, we were packed in like sardines.

  4. #4
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,675
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    WOW your like a film star.

  5. #5
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The crowd scenes were filmed at a Wakefield v Wigan Challenge Cup tie and the crowd was around 28,000. I was there as a quite a young boy, we were packed in like sardines.

    Here he goes again.
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  6. #6
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    The novel is worth reading, too.
    Any pictures of Rogues in it? He's very famous
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  7. #7
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Ralph, even if you only watch the first twenty minutes "Rogues" is characterised by a supporting role called Dad.

  8. #8
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,152
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I used to love Thrum Hall, first away ground I went.

    Leave Brian Costner alone too, he's obviously bored.

  9. #9
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I used to love Thrum Hall, first away ground I went.

    Leave Brian Costner alone too, he's obviously bored.
    It is getting rather tiresome now though.

    Every thread, Wigan has to be brought into it.
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  10. #10
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,537
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    It is getting rather tiresome now though.

    Every thread, Wigan has to be brought into it.
    I can just picture him like Old Man Steptoe, rubbing his hands together and cackling everytime he gets chance to mention Wigan on here.

  11. #11
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I can just picture him like Old Man Steptoe, rubbing his hands together and cackling everytime he gets chance to mention Wigan on here.
    Quite.

    Despite the moral framework of his beloved Wigan being in total ruin
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  12. #12
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,152
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    It is getting rather tiresome now though.

    Every thread, Wigan has to be brought into it.
    I can't say I've noticed although haven't been on much for the last week. I know what you mean though.

  13. #13
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Right side of the track
    Posts
    1,564
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    It is getting rather tiresome now though.

    Every thread, Wigan has to be brought into it.




    Why not just ignore him Ralph. It’s obvious he is an attention seeker,just give him a miss.

  14. #14
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,299
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I used to love Thrum Hall, first away ground I went.

    Leave Brian Costner alone too, he's obviously bored.
    More like Brian Blessed

  15. #15
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,211
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    A film star, Blessed Brian.

    Mac Davies once wrote a song about me.

    Just the chorus for now, I'll post the verses at another time

    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
    When you're perfect in every way
    I can't wait to look in the mirror
    Cause I get better looking each day
    To know me is to love me
    I must be a hell of a man
    Oh Lord It's hard to be humble,
    But I'm doing the best that I can"

    All stay safe, keep smiling and we'll all hopefully have a beer when this is all over.

  16. #16
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    A film star, Blessed Brian.

    Mac Davies once wrote a song about me.

    Just the chorus for now, I'll post the verses at another time

    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
    When you're perfect in every way
    I can't wait to look in the mirror
    Cause I get better looking each day
    To know me is to love me
    I must be a hell of a man
    Oh Lord It's hard to be humble,
    But I'm doing the best that I can"

    All stay safe, keep smiling and we'll all hopefully have a beer when this is all over.
    Oh Lord it's hard not to grumble
    When Brian is trolling Redvee every day.

    Fixed it for you
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •