Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: We're on telly this Saturday...

  1. #1
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,793
    Rep Power
    12

    Default We're on telly this Saturday...

    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/04/0...e-on-saturday/

    Say's it all in the link.
    1996 CC final.
    Enjoy!

  2. #2
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/04/0...e-on-saturday/

    Say's it all in the link.
    1996 CC final.
    Enjoy!
    I've just been watching highlights of the 2006 final against Huddersfield on you tube, I don't think I've watched it since that year, Graham, Roby, Fasavaulu and Gilmore, not a bad subs bench!

  3. #3
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,993
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I've just been watching highlights of the 2006 final against Huddersfield on you tube, I don't think I've watched it since that year, Graham, Roby, Fasavaulu and Gilmore, not a bad subs bench!
    The depth in that squad was ridiculous. Towards the back end of that season neither Nick Fozzard nor Vinnie Anderson could make the 17.

  4. #4
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,580
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    The depth in that squad was ridiculous. Towards the back end of that season neither Nick Fozzard nor Vinnie Anderson could make the 17.
    That team would have had a good shout of winning the NRL, never mind SL
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  5. #5
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    4,123
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I've just been watching highlights of the 2006 final against Huddersfield on you tube, I don't think I've watched it since that year, Graham, Roby, Fasavaulu and Gilmore, not a bad subs bench!
    And the week before we sent a virtual reserve team to play at Catalan. Graham and Fozzard played I think along with Tommy Frodsham and Scott Moore. It was played at Canet Plage with bleachers as temporary stands. It was absolutely roasting hot and we found a free beer tent. We almost won against a Catalan side with Stacey Jones playing.

  6. #6
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,518
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    And the week before we sent a virtual reserve team to play at Catalan. Graham and Fozzard played I think along with Tommy Frodsham and Scott Moore. It was played at Canet Plage with bleachers as temporary stands. It was absolutely roasting hot and we found a free beer tent. We almost won against a Catalan side with Stacey Jones playing.
    I was there, took the whole family and had a car with GPS that kept sending me round Perpignan in circles.

  7. #7
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    581
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Remember it they played there hearts out, just at the end . Was a brill day..

  8. #8
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    That team would have had a good shout of winning the NRL, never mind SL
    I think that be a bit OTT. Hold its own yes. Win it nah

  9. #9
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,580
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    [QUOTE=Saint in Queensland;789561]I think that be a bit OTT. Hold its own yes. Win it nah

    Guess we'll never know.
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  10. #10
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,580
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    Remember it they played there hearts out, just at the end . Was a brill day..
    A lad who I used to work part time with played for Saints that day: Neil Rigby. One funny lad him.

    Think Scott Moore kicked the ball out on the full near the end & they scored off that set?
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  11. #11
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,580
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I was there, took the whole family and had a car with GPS that kept sending me round Perpignan in circles.
    Usually the copious amounts of lager that does the same to me in perpignan
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  12. #12
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Fantastic final. I have always lived the CC and this is up there with the best final to date. Hull V Wigan 85 was superb but the nature of the game in 96 , the comeback , for me makes it the best CC final .


    A bit of trivia....

    Who can name the Three try scorers from bobbies bombs ?

    I can recall 5 records being broken in that game what were they?

  13. #13
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,580
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Fantastic final. I have always lived the CC and this is up there with the best final to date. Hull V Wigan 85 was superb but the nature of the game in 96 , the comeback , for me makes it the best CC final .


    A bit of trivia....

    Who can name the Three try scorers from bobbies bombs ?

    I can recall 5 records being broken in that game what were they?
    Was it..
    Cunningham
    Pickavance
    Booth?

    As for records..
    1. First hatrick at Wembley (Paul)
    2. Highest scoring CC final
    3. Biggest comeback in a CC final
    4. Highest temperature at Wembley for a CC final

    Don't know the 5th but I'll have a stab at.

    Biggest number of ex Saints players to play against their former club in a final? Complete shot in the dark & probably wrong
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  14. #14
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Was it..
    Cunningham
    Pickavance
    Booth?

    As for records..
    1. First hatrick at Wembley (Paul)
    2. Highest scoring CC final
    3. Biggest comeback in a CC final
    4. Highest temperature at Wembley for a CC final

    Don't know the 5th
    Number 4 is not one of them as far as I'm aware. I believe 76 final was the hottest. However it was a hot day

    Your shot in the dark is very interesting, it might be worth looking i to that as it could be another ? Its not one i had in mind if it was

  15. #15
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,580
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Number 4 is not one of them as far as I'm aware. I believe 76 final was the hottest. However it was a hot day
    Ah right you are sorry.

    The Dad's Army final
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  16. #16
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    1 highest scoring final

    2. Highest score for a losing team

    3 first Hat-rick

    4 biggest comeback

    5 lance todd trophied awarded to a player on losing side

    There may well be more ....

  17. #17
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    1 highest scoring final

    2. Highest score for a losing team

    3 first Hat-rick

    4 biggest comeback

    5 lance todd trophied awarded to a player on losing side

    There may well be more ....
    5. George Nicholls won Lance Todd in the 1978 final!

    Incidentally i think the 1978 final was a far better game, as well as 1976, than the 1996 final, even though we lost!

  18. #18
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,203
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    5) The furthest a player has ever been offside and allowed the score in any sport at Wembley?

    Just to add, Good Friday loads of Easter weekend games on Sky Arena.

    The one at 1 p.m. is a classic.

  19. #19
    In The South Stand CHANNEL22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,001
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    5) The furthest a player has ever been offside and allowed the score in any sport at Wembley?

    Just to add, Good Friday loads of Easter weekend games on Sky Arena.

    The one at 1 p.m. is a classic.
    Just to translate that. "The one at 1.p.m. is a Wigan win"
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society


    Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

  20. #20
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,580
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    5) The furthest a player has ever been offside and allowed the score in any sport at Wembley?

    Just to add, Good Friday loads of Easter weekend games on Sky Arena.

    The one at 1 p.m. is a classic.
    You would know all about offside as when Goodway caught that pass from Hanley in the 1990 semi, he was in 1994
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  21. #21
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bury
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    5. George Nicholls won Lance Todd in the 1978 final!

    Incidentally i think the 1978 final was a far better game, as well as 1976, than the 1996 final, even though we lost!
    but should have won but for a dropped pass virtually on the line

  22. #22
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,580
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    but should have won but for a dropped pass virtually on the line
    Never seen that properly before. Don't think it was as bad as Mark Elia's in 87
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  23. #23
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    I agree Ralph. I was at both and take it from me Noonan was slaughtered for that dropped ball. However looking at that today with fresh eyes it was not a certain score with the covering defence. The 87 one was a certain try.

  24. #24
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,647
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    After watching those cup highlights I'm glad we did away with contested scrums.

  25. #25
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    376
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    The replay of 1996 brings lots of memories back having seen us never win the league or cup before 1996. Catching the special train complete with The Bobby as the locomotive up front, my dad having broken his wrist a few weeks earlier meant that I had drive from the Wirral to St Helens as a learner so we could get the train.

    The roller coaster of emotions as we roared away to an early lead to the despair of being 14 points down. Not getting excited after Cunningham's first try I thought it was just too much to come back from. My dad 'clapping' so hard with the cast hand into his good one that he gave himself massive bruising! The joy as we took control of the game mixed with nerves until the final whistle. The rush when we won and lift the trophy. When I saw Bobby lift the cup today on the hairs stood up once again

    I must go for a rummage in the loft to see what other games I can enjoy from the past

    Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •